C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 owners with PST bushings - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:14 PM
77TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3 owners with PST bushings - help needed

Greetings from Houston !
I am running into a problem with PST Poly bushings for my upper and lower control arms. I know there have been numerous discussions already and I researched them all (I believe). However, here's the remaining headache:

- I am fully aware of the required end gap (between the outer end of the poly bushing and the metal washer) for poly pushings from VBP, etc.

- Trying to install my PST Polygraphite bushings, I noticed that the inner metal sleeves are way too short to achieve this required gap. Hence I called the PST Tech guys and told them that other forum members had similar problems with VBP (for example) and that VBP turned around and sent out longer inner sleeves.
PST states this is the first time they heard of this and that PST bushings are supposed to be installed as-is simply using the proper torque. There are also no installation instructions that PST provides.

So here's my question. Which option is correct?

1. PST bushings are indeed "different" (maybe because of the polygraphite?) and do not require the end gap like VBP's. This would also mean that they do not freely "float" like VBP's - maybe this doesn't matter.

2. PST doesn't know what they're talking about and a lot of PST bushings are therefore installed incorrectly.

3. Not an option: Please don't tell me to buy rubber bushings. I have seen the heated discussions around this topic already

For all of you that installed PST bushings, does your outer washer make contact with the poly bushing? Again, there are no installation instructions that PST has - supposedly because it is so obvious how this is being installed

Thanks for your help !
Michael
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I've had the full set of PST bushings on my car for the better part of a decade and I've never heard of this end-gap problem. I installed them like a normal rubber bushing with the supplied lube and I haven't heard a peep (or a squeak) from them yet.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
77TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. One of the more descriptive "end gap" discussion threads is
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...eeve+too+short

but it seems that everybody that installed PST bushings installs them without worrying about this and is quite happy with the results

Get notified of new replies

To C3 owners with PST bushings - help needed

Quick Reply: C3 owners with PST bushings - help needed