C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping out of gear, any adjusting 3rd gear throw on 4 speed shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Black'69
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping out of gear, any adjusting 3rd gear throw on 4 speed shifter

Is there any adjustment on a stock 4-speed munci shifter. I'm having some issues with it popping out of 3rd gear. It mainly happens when I'm upshifting into 3rd. Sometimes it will not stick and pops out. Really suck whne you on the hammer.
Any tips?

Christ
FYI, It's a '69 427 390 hp.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

IMO, If you find the shifter is not the culprit and it probably isn't, it's likely the teeth on third gear that the syncro. sleeve rides on are worn at an angle which happens over time. This allows the sleeve to "push-off" the gear due to the taper of the teeth. As far as the adjustability of the shifter, you can adjust them using a centering pin and selecting the gear and adjusting rod length for full engagement. I hope that's what it is.

Last edited by jimvette999; 06-19-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

My 61 Vettes Saginaw 4 speed used to jump out of third gear. I learned to hold it up in gear. The tranny needs a rebuild. Just like Jim said. Helical cut gears cause side thrust. So the internal part ware with time.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Black'69
Is there any adjustment on a stock 4-speed munci shifter. I'm having some issues with it popping out of 3rd gear. It mainly happens when I'm upshifting into 3rd. Sometimes it will not stick and pops out. Really suck whne you on the hammer.
Any tips?
My muncie was doing this in 2nd gear. I too thought it was synchronizers. Had it rebuilt and the old synchronizers were perfect. I put new ones in anyway, but now it's popping out of 3rd. The shop that rebuilt it assures me it's just the shifter out of adjustment. Now I just need to crawl under there and adjust it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
My muncie was doing this in 2nd gear. I too thought it was synchronizers. Had it rebuilt and the old synchronizers were perfect. I put new ones in anyway, but now it's popping out of 3rd. The shop that rebuilt it assures me it's just the shifter out of adjustment. Now I just need to crawl under there and adjust it.

This is not right gear but it shows the syncro teeth on the right side of the gear, these are what wear at an angle. You can have new syncro rings and sleeves but if these are worn enough at a slant, the trans. will try and jump out of gear. Let's hope the shifter adjustment fixes your trans. too.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Black'69
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanjs for the input guys. Looks like I'll give the adjustment a try and see if it works. Otherwise, it may be time for a 5-speed upgrade
~C

Get notified of new replies

To Popping out of gear, any adjusting 3rd gear throw on 4 speed shifter

Quick Reply: Popping out of gear, any adjusting 3rd gear throw on 4 speed shifter