C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp gage not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Temp gage not working

The shop manual doesn't give any type of testing for a faulty temp gage/sensor. I am hoping it's the sensor near the Alternator. If I pull the green wire and use a volt meter and I got power to the sensor, I suppose my only choice is a new sensor or a new gage in the center cluster?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That is the correct sensor. It is a ground sensor, the fact that there is power to it indicates that you have power thru the gauge so its not a fuse or circuit problem. Ground the wire and see what the gauge does, it should peg High, if not, the gauge has a problem and will require further inquiry.

While your under the hood measure the resistance from the pin on the sensor to ground.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Will do once I get home tonight and I'll let you know. Man I was hoping NOT to have to open th e center gage cluster up again but also found the spot light was not working last night either (That's the one that shines down onto the center console from above the center gage cluster.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Its always somethin
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

You got that right - I don't mind it much as long as it is the small stuff
Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
karioth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

old gauges go bad, i bought an entire center cluster of gauges off ebay (I had 2 that were broken) so now i have some backups, they are each separate gauges and can be replaced independently.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by karioth
old gauges go bad, i bought an entire center cluster of gauges off ebay (I had 2 that were broken) so now i have some backups, they are each separate gauges and can be replaced independently.
That's good to know - cause I had 12volts on the sensor. Not sure what's at the gage though. I still have to check the gage to see if the needle will move if I ground the sensor wire. If that doesn't work, the sensor is about $46.00 and the gage is $60.00 from Mid-America. Which should I start with? How often does the actual sensor go out?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The 12v at the sensor wire comes from the 12v at the gauge, so youknow you have good power at the gauge. Could be either sensor or gauge, could even be the ground at the gauge
Old 06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Lectric Limted for the sensor. www.lectriclimited.com. $25 and they are they only place that has sensors with the correct resistance range.

Last edited by SteveG75; 06-22-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
The 12v at the sensor wire comes from the 12v at the gauge, so youknow you have good power at the gauge. Could be either sensor or gauge, could even be the ground at the gauge

Is each individual gage grounded seperately? All other gages in the cluster work. On the back of the gages you have the circuit overlay and the plug harness makes contack with that. I have not removed that from the back of the gage cluster cause I was scared I'd mess it up. How are the gages grounded?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Lectric Limted for the sensor. www.lectriclimited.com. $25 and they are they only place that has sensors with the correct resistance range.
Great website - they have a lot of hard to find electrical items for sure!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
Is each individual gage grounded seperately? All other gages in the cluster work. On the back of the gages you have the circuit overlay and the plug harness makes contack with that. I have not removed that from the back of the gage cluster cause I was scared I'd mess it up. How are the gages grounded?
I think the gauge gets its ground thru the circuit overlay as do all the gauges. But it could still be the ground connection AT the overlay.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

I think the gauge gets its ground thru the circuit overlay as do all the gauges. But it could still be the ground connection AT the overlay.
Well I still have that one test to do, ground the connection wire and see if the needle moves. I'll try that.

Danny check out that web-link above cool site. Lots of electrical hard to find parts.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Been there, they gots lots of good stuff
Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Boston!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gauge reads low and has since I got the car - maybe the sender was replaced as mentioned on the website. Is there a way to calibrate our temp gauges, or should I order up a new sender?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston!
My gauge reads low and has since I got the car - maybe the sender was replaced as mentioned on the website. Is there a way to calibrate our temp gauges, or should I order up a new sender?
Have you done the standard book test? Remove wire from sender and gage should go to full cold-ground wire gage should go full hot.If it doesnt do this you have a problem in the wiring or gage to fix first.If you want a calibrating standard to check your gage with you can put an 68 ohm resistor between the sender wire and ground.The gage should read 215-220.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Boston!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll try the resistor! I grounded the wire and it pegs, so the gauge works. I also used an infared thermometer, and the gauge reads about 150 when the intake near the sender is actually 190. If the gauge is off (and not the sender) is there a way to adjust that?

Get notified of new replies

To Temp gage not working

Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like the calibration resistor on the back of the gauge is original and the sender is aftermarket. When I get to putting my dash back in I may turn my attention to a method to truely calibrate the gauges, got to think about that a bit.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like the calibration resistor on the back of the gauge is original and the sender is aftermarket. When I get to putting my dash back in I may turn my attention to a method to truely calibrate the gauges, got to think about that a bit.
That should be interesting.Of course adding resistance in the sender wire just makes the gage read colder but I wonder what happens when you very the resistor on the back of the gage.That resistor is between the gage and ground.Hmmm if I get time I will try changing that resistor and see what it does.I have about 4 diff. colors.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Roger, that would be the key. Its a shunt I think, different values for different temp senders. The problem is each gauge and each sender has a tolerence, I don't know what the window is on the components. But making the calibration resistor a variable, or wrapping a custom based on a measurement might be the way to go. One of the first cars I did was a 67 mustang, I re wound all the gauges so thay they were dead on, when the needle hit the center mark on the E you better be looking AT a gas pump

Quick Reply: Temp gage not working