C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan options for 69 Ray with serpentine belt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
ja1724
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Fan options for 69 Ray with serpentine belt setup?

I have installed a Vintage Air Frontrunner serpentine system on my 69 ray which eliminates the stock belt driven fan. Does anybody have either a March, Zoops, Vintage, or similar serpentine setup out there? If so, what type of fan setup are you running. BBC496 with air.

Pics here:
www.mikesautoclinic.com/69vette

I spoke with Flex-A-Lite and they said they dont make an electric fan with enough capacity that will fit the car.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

JA
Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

There is only ONE authority on vette cooling, BTW, thats a SWEET installation there....with all that aluminum, you need talk to Tom DeWitt of DeWitts rad/cooling he is a sponsor here......

I have a set of his Dual Spals, and you will need his large radiator, and set of those fans, and kiss your problems goodby....talk to Tom, he easy to get on the phone.....worth the call,

his stuff, WORKS.....
Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want a mechanical pan to bolt to the water pump the same as was stock, you need a reverse rotation fan. These were found on some GM serp cars and trucks. I believe some trucks have one that'll fit just fine.

Also, and I have one on mine, you can use a '98 Jeep Cherokee fan and clutch. It bolts right up, is reverse rotation, and is even about an inch shorter in overall diameter so it tucks up into the shroud and pockets nicely in front of the rad.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I have the March setup on mine, and LOVE it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
If you want a mechanical pan to bolt to the water pump the same as was stock, you need a reverse rotation fan. These were found on some GM serp cars and trucks. I believe some trucks have one that'll fit just fine.

Also, and I have one on mine, you can use a '98 Jeep Cherokee fan and clutch. It bolts right up, is reverse rotation, and is even about an inch shorter in overall diameter so it tucks up into the shroud and pockets nicely in front of the rad.
Matt, since I don't own a BB, I can't inteligently say what is differant over his install there...but there is no shroud evident in the pix there, and nor from the side angle, does it appear there is any room for anything more than a Dual Spal setup....damn sure no room for a mechanical fan....sure don't look like it anyway....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrvette
Matt, since I don't own a BB, I can't inteligently say what is differant over his install there...but there is no shroud evident in the pix there, and nor from the side angle, does it appear there is any room for anything more than a Dual Spal setup....damn sure no room for a mechanical fan....sure don't look like it anyway....

Gene - I'm pretty sure there is enough room for a mechanical fan. I do not know if big blocks had less room than small blocks but I have a long water pump installed with my serp system and a mechanical fan. I tried the stock fan and it was so close I wouldn't have advised it. But, using this Jeep fan, which is shorter from pump flange to face of clutch and slightly smaller diameter....it fits just great and I don't have a shroud either.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:54 PM
ja1724
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I did try to fit the stock fan in there just to see if it would fit. It would fit/work except for the rotation. Very little room near the top between rad and a/c compressor (about 2.75").

Durango - Damn, you seem to have all the tips/tricks for these sharks.
I bought my hydraboost unit from you and I believe it was off a '95 Astro van. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll try the Jeep fan. If not I'll work with Dewitt's on a solution (thanks MR_VETTE).
Old 06-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ja1724
Durango - Damn, you seem to have all the tips/tricks for these sharks.
I bought my hydraboost unit from you and I believe it was off a '95 Astro van. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll try the Jeep fan. If not I'll work with Dewitt's on a solution (thanks MR_VETTE).

I am just glad I could help.

I may have a spare Jeep fan and clutch lying around. If you're interested PM me.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Durango....did your crankshaft pulley hit your crossmember? Mine does and I didn't know if it was anything 80-82 specific.

I'm looking at an underdrive pulley to fix the problem
Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1982CorvetteDude
Durango....did your crankshaft pulley hit your crossmember? Mine does and I didn't know if it was anything 80-82 specific.

I'm looking at an underdrive pulley to fix the problem

No I had plenty of clearance at the cross member. I don't know if it has something to do with your year but I did not think they were all that much different.

I have almost a full inch of clearance with a stock '92 Camaro serp pulley bolted to my balancer.

You have a 350 right? How thick is your balancer?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My balancer is stock for 82, I'm think that may be some sort of frame damage or something, the PO had the motor shimmed up with washers, when I installed new motor mounts a while back I left out the washers.

Everything was ok until I decided to install this serpentine set-up.

Rather than shimming my motor, I guess I go ahead and get a underdrive pulley.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Fan options for 69 Ray with serpentine belt setup?

Quick Reply: Fan options for 69 Ray with serpentine belt setup?