C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3782461 heads on a 350 chevy SB

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Erik88vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3782461 heads on a 350 chevy SB

Okay guys,I found some heads with the number 3782461.I know that these are the camel hump heads but how will they perform with a '79 chevy block?Can the valve seats be redone..i.e is there enough "flesh" to go about.My engine requires accessory bolts,which aren't there in these heads.Any suggestion to mount my alternator and steering pump??

Greetz Erik.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

461's are pretty good cyl heads when looking at stuff the GM factory prouduced. They can be made to run very well. The intake runners flow pretty well even stock and the 64cc chambers help get some compression in a smog engine like your 1979 350. There are however much better alternatives in the aftermarket (for less $$$ than buying a set of 461's and getting them re-built would cost) and directly from GM (vortecs come to mind here althou they require a special intake manifold)

The 461's draw backs and fixes.
1. No accy holes. You can drill the front of them and make up the "pad" difference with some washers or custom made spacers. Lots of oval track racers did it yrs ago before we knew any better heads were out there.
2. No hardened exhaust seats. A machine shop will have to install hardened inserts in all 8 exhaust seats - expensive. You can also run them as is but you risk the chance of it beating the exhaust seats out of the head.
3. The castings are damn near 40yrs old and yes good in their day but much better cyl heads are availiable now. Also I'm sure the guides are gone, valves are worn out, rocker studs worn out or possibally going to pull out at the least opertune time. It's a lot of money to address all these issues in a 40yr old set of heads.

If you had a numbers matching car and needed a set of 461's fixed to make the car right, then they are worth it but just from a performance stand point they are not IMO.
Will
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Army

Go buy some good modern flowing heads and save yourself the headache. I agree if it is a numbers matching issue it is different.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
461's are pretty good cyl heads when looking at stuff the GM factory prouduced. They can be made to run very well. The intake runners flow pretty well even stock and the 64cc chambers help get some compression in a smog engine like your 1979 350. There are however much better alternatives in the aftermarket (for less $$$ than buying a set of 461's and getting them re-built would cost) and directly from GM (vortecs come to mind here althou they require a special intake manifold)

The 461's draw backs and fixes.
1. No accy holes. You can drill the front of them and make up the "pad" difference with some washers or custom made spacers. Lots of oval track racers did it yrs ago before we knew any better heads were out there.
2. No hardened exhaust seats. A machine shop will have to install hardened inserts in all 8 exhaust seats - expensive. You can also run them as is but you risk the chance of it beating the exhaust seats out of the head.
3. The castings are damn near 40yrs old and yes good in their day but much better cyl heads are availiable now. Also I'm sure the guides are gone, valves are worn out, rocker studs worn out or possibally going to pull out at the least opertune time. It's a lot of money to address all these issues in a 40yr old set of heads.

If you had a numbers matching car and needed a set of 461's fixed to make the car right, then they are worth it but just from a performance stand point they are not IMO.
Will
Actually, 461's chambers generally run in the 58 to 60 cc area - on the set I have (bathtup shape chamber). CR should be checked closely.

Last edited by glenn64vette; 06-27-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Erik88vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that they are the "X" type....

Greetz Erik.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Personally if you got a good deal on 461X's I would sell them for a pretty penny to a numbers matching guy, and buy some new heads like Vortecs or Darts. No doubt they are good heads but by the time you sink a bunch of money into them you would be ahead with newer ones.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Erik, keep in mind that importing iron heads form the US costs nearly as much as aluminum heads due to the massive weight. Scoggin' Dickey upgraded Iron Vortecs, complete with alu vortec manifold (USD 1000,-)would cost me EUR 1500,- just to get them on my doorstep.

Get notified of new replies

To 3782461 heads on a 350 chevy SB

Quick Reply: 3782461 heads on a 350 chevy SB