C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower Fan Speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
djhuge
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Fan Speed

I just spent too much paying a mechanic to reactivate the AC unit, including new hoses and whatnot. The air is cold-er but not super cold.
However, the speed on my fan seems to be a little low.

Now I don't know whether it's resistor (speed 1 and 2 are very weak and that's why I think so), or perhaps the blower motor needs replacing. Or perhaps the fan speed/strength on a 75 isn't really that much.

If you were to characterize a proper outflow of air from the central consol on the high setting - could you distinctly feel it on your face, or is the whole set up not that strong?

Also, what do i need to remove to get to the blower motor - any body has suggestions/photos.

Thank you for your help
Old 06-28-2007, 02:17 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

OK, first off. all those are very subjective assesments. What I would do, is go thru it by the numbers.
1. Verify the resistor pack is good, measure the voltage at the blower to ground at each speed selection
2. Measure the ground connection from the fan ground wire to frame ground
3. Hi Speed voltage should be very close to alternator output voltage.
4. The fan is removed from under the hood, its a PITA, there are 5 or 6 small screws holding it in place, passenger side firewall. Make sure it spins freely, the bearings dry out and it is stiff sometimes, some good oil will resolve that.
5. On to the ducts, there are probably several leaks, close them up with weatherstrip foam.
6. There is probably a large gap between the lower duct and defrost duct, close it up with silver foil tape if you can find it.
7. Verify all the duct doors operate with the selector switch.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt my AC part by part, two summers ago. It woke up using all new parts. No reman stuff; all new including the compressor, hoses, evaporator, POA valve. All new but the switch.

I had `ok' air but that was about it. Then I took the dash out, and resealed the ducts inside. From that day one the AC blew twice as much air and it feels fine to this day.

Also, insulate the floor. Reflectix insulation will allow the cockpit to be much cooler inside, so the AC has a chance of making passengers comfortable. With the cabin being overheated by floor heat constantly, the AC would need to be twice as big a unit, to cool properly.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
djhuge
7th Gear

Default Floor

I insulated the entire floor and doors of the cockpit and it's definitely cooler in there. It's interesting to hear that checking for leaks makes a difference. Are there any particular tubes I should check for leakege?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by djhuge
I insulated the entire floor and doors of the cockpit and it's definitely cooler in there. It's interesting to hear that checking for leaks makes a difference. Are there any particular tubes I should check for leakege?
Tubes? You need to be checking the ducts and air control doors for leakage. The "Search!" sticky is your friend...there are numerous threads on eliminating cabin heat.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by djhuge
I just spent too much paying a mechanic to reactivate the AC unit, including new hoses and whatnot. The air is cold-er but not super cold.
However, the speed on my fan seems to be a little low.

Now I don't know whether it's resistor (speed 1 and 2 are very weak and that's why I think so), or perhaps the blower motor needs replacing. Or perhaps the fan speed/strength on a 75 isn't really that much.

If you were to characterize a proper outflow of air from the central consol on the high setting - could you distinctly feel it on your face, or is the whole set up not that strong?

Also, what do i need to remove to get to the blower motor - any body has suggestions/photos.

Thank you for your help
I believe my 79 does what you are describing happening with your 75. My AC/heat blows strong on high, but drop the switch down and the fan seems to stop completely. If this is you problem, we both need the same fix. Pictures are better than many words.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
djhuge
7th Gear

Default It prolly is the resistor

However, I'm having hard time finding the resistor. Is it the small metal box attached to the evaporator box?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i'm installing a 76 a/c unit into my 70. The blower ressistor exits the 76 evaporator box on the top. its got 4 connectors. check your ground connection on the blower motor. also, do as sixfooter recommended, and seal the gap between the inside heater box extension (held in by two screws to the main heater box) and the defrost vent. i had a 1/2" gap all the way around mine. you'll probably have to drop the right side dash panel to access this stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On C3s, the only position the A/C will blow cold air without mixing it with outside air is the MAX Air position. You can install a C4 fan cage in the C3 which has longer blades that pull more air thru. A 1/2" spacer must be made to accomodate the longer fan. Their are several threads in the archives on this.
Bernie
Old 06-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
On C3s, the only position the A/C will blow cold air without mixing it with outside air is the MAX Air position. You can install a C4 fan cage in the C3 which has longer blades that pull more air thru. A 1/2" spacer must be made to accomodate the longer fan. Their are several threads in the archives on this.
Bernie
Thanks for the info, but my fan blows air fine, but only on high. I removed the A/C compressor belt for racing, so the fan is now only used to add additional engine cooling through the heater. Again, it only works in the high position. I looked through my 79 shop manual for help, but it only mentions a relay and doesn't show its location. It would be easy enough to fix if the faulty part could be identified and where it was located. Initially I thought it was a bad switch, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Red 69
Thanks for the info, but my fan blows air fine, but only on high. I removed the A/C compressor belt for racing, so the fan is now only used to add additional engine cooling through the heater. Again, it only works in the high position. I looked through my 79 shop manual for help, but it only mentions a relay and doesn't show its location. It would be easy enough to fix if the faulty part could be identified and where it was located. Initially I thought it was a bad switch, but now I'm not so sure.
You need the 79 Corvette Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (if they printed one). Here is a 78 version on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thw resistor in on top of the evap box on the passenger side of the firewall, the Hi Blo relat is right above it
Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Thw resistor in on top of the evap box on the passenger side of the firewall, the Hi Blo relat is right above it
Thanks...that was easy to find! I was following a source that said the relay was next to the fuse box. When I get a chance I will test it to determine if it is my problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Blower Fan Speed

Quick Reply: Blower Fan Speed