C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mark VIII fan on Summit Radiator..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default Mark VIII fan on Summit Radiator..

I attached the Mark VIII fan to my Summit Radiator and installed it in my 68. I then quickly installed an aluminum plate to mount the controller. I was almost done and then I broke the B+ terminal on the starter when I was tightening it down....didn't really over-torque it; so I suppose it had a pre-existing flaw....I'll just have to finish later.

Here are some pics....hope they come out....not done cleaning up the wiring...just wanted to test it for now.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fan looks great. Are you planning on cleaning up the controller and wiring part of the install?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The fan fits in the great. I had no idea it was that nice of a fit. Nice work on the fan. Just a little work left to do to dress up the wiring though.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default Fan fit radiator almost perfectly...

....for surface coverage. I did have to remove the metal plate which sits underneath. The fan just barely touches the anti-sway bar....I'll just let it wear a spot...

I do still have to clean up the wiring; I was hoping to get it running this past weekend, and then I broke the starter. Oh well, I'll just do it later.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was wondering about the shroud size. It seems to fit well, and I knew I wanted that motor, so I picked up a Taurus fan. It's got a 1" small diameter, same motor, and a slightly smaller shroud that fits the radiator perfectly.

Careful on gravel...that fan could suck start a leaf blower.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default This fan is quite amazing....

I finally got a new starter and got all my wiring hooked up. I was doing some tuning today so I had my laptop hooked up and monitoring engine temperature. The temperature did not vary more than ~6 degrees Fahrenheit all day (I had to convert that, my Tunerpro was reading in Celsius, 92-95 degrees)....and I was out there at idle with the car's snout in the garage, just to trying and stay out of the sun.

The fan did peg my ammeter when it really needed to speed up. I took the car for a drive and had the a/c on....temperature stayed within the same range. Still gotta clean up the wiring.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
piper.gras
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you wire the fan power directly to the alternator, it won't change the way your ammeter reads when the fans are on.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default The vendor for DCControl...

recommends either connecting to the battery, or to the starter terminal...and if using the starter terminal then you have to install a filtered surge protector....see below:

http://www.dccontrol.com/
Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

I connected my DCC to the battery. Works great, no surge of amp meter at all.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Glad to hear this worked out so well. I was wondering how it turned out for you. I have been reading the threads on those fans and was very hopeful that they perform like they have been saying. Thanks for following up on this, as I may have to do the same should my Spal ever give up the ghost.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

If anyone is looking for a Mark VIII fan I have one. Would not fit due to clearance problems due blower install.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratsirt
If anyone is looking for a Mark VIII fan I have one. Would not fit due to clearance problems due blower install.
I am interested? can i get some pictures and a price? Thanks Robert.
email nsirobert@yahoo.com
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the DCC controler with Mark VIII fan. Haven't installed them yet. Any pics on where you placed the temp sensor? did you use the DCC control temp sensor b/w the radiator fins?
I might end up running a seperate wire from the battery for the darn fan/controller. I already have a bunch of wires running seperately from the battery, whats one more!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default I did use the DCControl temp sensor....

I installed the temp sensor per the DCControl instructions near the radiator outlet/return to the engine.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
I also have the DCC controler with Mark VIII fan. Haven't installed them yet. Any pics on where you placed the temp sensor? did you use the DCC control temp sensor b/w the radiator fins?
I might end up running a seperate wire from the battery for the darn fan/controller. I already have a bunch of wires running seperately from the battery, whats one more!
As far as your ultimate safety, nothing rong with that....as long as each wire is appropriately fused to protect that WIRE from becoming a light bulb filament IF it's direct shorted on the other end from the battery....it WILL glo like a lightbulb and set fire to the car....like in an accident, where all bets are OFF.....

second off, just because the battery sees it's charge through a fuse link, typically, the voltage drop from heavy loads going through it, means the battery never get a full charge since the typical sense wires feeding the regulator are not on the battery side of that fuse link which drops voltage to the battery....symptom...slo battery death....

never gets a full charge...

and the alt goes higher voltage longer, trying to make up for the voltage drop due to higher currents drawn through the rong end of the circuit....but still can't fully charge the battery....

BTDT, ran a series of tests on GM cars years ago...and so proved what I say.....

Get notified of new replies

To Mark VIII fan on Summit Radiator..

Quick Reply: Mark VIII fan on Summit Radiator..