C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 fuel injection problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
82 C.E.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive it could be your anti-theif, disabling your ignition.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr. Jay,

I had that control module out on a warm day and had my local Oreilly check it. It passed all three times. It still makes more sense for that part to be bad but it passed the tests.

Bill
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

the pickup coil in the distributor will fail when heated also
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

This sounds like a good excuse for an MSD 6 ignition box, blaster coil and pro billet distributor. You know you wanted one...

Sorry, I just recalled, the Pro-billet distributor and coil won't work with the computer. You would have to ditch the CFI. Hmm...

You could however, install a MSD box and MSD electronic ignition distributor. That would improve the ignition performance. Then if you ever went carb you could still use the MSD box. Lots of options.

Last edited by Clint's C3; 07-25-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to check on 82's is the ECM Fuse.

It hauls a lot of current and is a problem part on our cars. If there's an issue with it you won't get any ground for your injectors. This fuse is the one that's by itself in the battery compartment. While the fuse will still be "good" the holder and the legs of the fuse will get corrosion and sometimes carbon arcing build up. This can cause the intermittent problem you described. Pull the fuse and check it. Many times excess heat from the poor contact will start to melt the fuse casing and can make it tough to get out.

GM's decision to put unsealed electronics and connectors in a compartment with a lead acid battery has been questioned many times.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

82vette'ster,

Chris, I just might owe you a large cool beverage of some sort.

My wierd little car has been starting lately so I can't verify yet that this was my problem. I ran it 15 minutes to warm up the oil and when I shut it off I checked that fuse. It was real hot and when I got it in the light there was a lot of fuzzy corrosion on it so I cleaned the plug and installed a new fuse. That would just kill me if a buried .20 cent fuse was the problem all along. I never considered that fuse was important since it looks like a bubba job.

Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 AM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Hope thats all it was.

That little sucker cost me a tow in the past. Keep an eye on it. If the fuse was cruddy then the contacts in the holder are probably just as bad. Either clean it out real good or replace it. I used a bunch of pipe cleaners and de-oxit. But It's coming back. I'll be replacing it soon.

Keeping the bat compartment clean is really a good idea on a 82. Don't let any of that crud that forms around the bat terminals build up. I pull the bat and clean it out once a year. I put a layer of baking soda (neutralizes acid) with a pad over it. When I switch over to the 8746 with EBL computer I'll be relocating it in the other compartment farther away from the bat.

There's some other good 82 querks and tips over at the Crossfire forum I hang out over there too.

Last edited by 82Vette'ster; 07-27-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

I recently installed an Optima battery. Maybe a dumb question, they are spill proof but do they have less outgassing?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
73C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DR.Jay
I believe the ignition control module is bad. The ignition control module which is located in the distributor controls spark, and it sends a signal to the ECM telling it that the engine is cranking. Once the ECM recieves this signal from the ignition control module it will fire the injectors. If the ECM doesn't recieve this signal from the ignition control module the injectors wont fire, and the fuel pump may not come on. You will also not have any spark.
The ignition control module can, and will fail intermittantly, usually when the engine is warmed up.

Almost all auto parts stores can test the module, and a new one for a
'82 is about $30.oo.
I suggest you remove the module from the car, and have it tested. (have them run the test at least three times to get it good, and warm)

I had the same thing happen to my truck. The module went bad intermittently then finally it went full dead and left me stranded.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
I recently installed an Optima battery. Maybe a dumb question, they are spill proof but do they have less outgassing?
I was considering buying an Optima next time I have to replace. From my understanding they are dry cell and don't vent corosive vapor. They're lighter too aren't they?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82Vette'ster
I was considering buying an Optima next time I have to replace. From my understanding they are dry cell and don't vent corosive vapor. They're lighter too aren't they?
It doesn't feel much lighter. Light weight is not listed as one of the features. Info from their website:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...e/starter.html
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,002 Likes on 687 Posts

That little sucker cost me a tow in the past. Keep an eye on it. If the fuse was cruddy then the contacts in the holder are probably just as bad. Either clean it out real good or replace it. I used a bunch of pipe cleaners and de-oxit. But It's coming back. I'll be replacing it soon.
I remember the last time this happend to Chris...that sucked for sure that night, but it was late and rather dark...Doh!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I remember the last time this happend to Chris...that sucked for sure that night, but it was late and rather dark...Doh!
I'm thinking of replacing that 20 amp fuse with a CB remotely mounted somewhere else. It gets in the way, especially when working on the battery.

Quick Reply: 82 fuel injection problems