C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who out there has actually swapped an LS1/LS2/LS6 into their C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by palamesa
SuprJames added to the list. Do you have offset TA's on that? Wheel spacers? Looks great....gp
I have offset TA's, no wheels spacers. Complete Custom Wheel has a set of reasonable wheels that go all the way to 17" wide (I have 12.5" on the rear) with any backspacing you want. Only come in 18" and 19" though.

I'm using very massaged L88 flares (which is what some friends and I are doing now) to keep the tire under the body.
The following users liked this post:
70smallblk (05-09-2020)
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The FAQ Sticky on the top of LS1Tech's Conversions forum has the answers to everything. I don't think there's a need to dupilcate our efforts again over here. The first thing that anyone should do when starting a swap is to read through that thread. You will not understand most of it yet but eventually when you need thee info, you'll remember that it was there and you'll know where to go to get it.
The following users liked this post:
73_Stringray (09-16-2021)
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
kramer9
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sorta similar question

New guy here. I have just popped the body on a 78, http://rockymtninfo.org/ABetterVet.html, I dont see any resell value is restoring to orginial. So I get to have fun!! How do you know which engine/tranny combinations will work without modifying the tranny cross member/firewall/ or hood. My thought is to make it appear orignial outside, but in its orginal state its weak, so under the covers I want something like a ZZ383 with a supercharger, but it has to fit under the stock hood and no mods to the firewall or tranny crossmember.

??
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
gatorbcn
Racer

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The FAQ Sticky on the top of LS1Tech's Conversions forum has the answers to everything. I don't think there's a need to dupilcate our efforts again over here. The first thing that anyone should do when starting a swap is to read through that thread. You will not understand most of it yet but eventually when you need thee info, you'll remember that it was there and you'll know where to go to get it.
Will do - I hadn't looked over there yet 'cause I thought that the info would not be very 'vette specific.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorbcn
Will do - I hadn't looked over there yet 'cause I thought that the info would not be very 'vette specific.
You're thinking is correct. It's good info but last time I checked there was little Vette specific stuff. Obviously much of it still applies (PCM, HArnesses, Tuning, Where to get stuff, What combo's will bolt to what, etc. But you will want to talk to some Vette folk who have already done it also. The guys here that have done it were all very helpful when I did mine this year.

I would suggest putting together a list of questions and post that here or in another thread. You'll get lots of info from the crew here.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
gatorbcn
Racer

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
You're thinking is correct. It's good info but last time I checked there was little Vette specific stuff. Obviously much of it still applies (PCM, HArnesses, Tuning, Where to get stuff, What combo's will bolt to what, etc. But you will want to talk to some Vette folk who have already done it also. The guys here that have done it were all very helpful when I did mine this year.

I would suggest putting together a list of questions and post that here or in another thread. You'll get lots of info from the crew here.
I will do that as I get closer to the transplant.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorbcn
Can't wait to see the pics. I would love to be able to come up with a set-up like the '61-'62 (?) on the cover of last month's Corvette Fever. Looked like he did some custom fiberglass work on the hood so that the lines matched up with inlet from a new Z06 that he glassed in the nose. Understated and beautiful. Unfortunately, the lines of the stock cowl induction hood don't lend themselves to something like that on a C3 - unless you switched to an '80s hood maybe???
budman78 modified his 80 hood to look like a z06 scoop maybe hell chime in and show some pics, i have them at home.
I got my hood almost done for my cowl induction,i have to fix one spot i cracked from mis measurement,which ill do today then post pics of it.The amount of air that sucks in from the cowl is amazing it should make huge difference in air intake temps now.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
We really have to come up with a cooler induction system that a bent pipe and an air filter!

Rick B.
You could always go up and over the radiator like a C5.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
gatorbcn
Racer

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
You could always go up and over the radiator like a C5.

70LS1 - I was wondering if that could be done. I haven't gotten near that far with my planning, but it seemed like an alternative. Did you do anything to make it work (i.e. move the radiator back or change the mounting angle)? Do you have it under a stock hood? Will the hood open and close on the hinges or do you have to lift it off?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

The hood will open at the hinges, but will not open all the way. If you lay the radiator and support back about 2" at the top, then you shouldn't have that issue. For the record this is a stock sized radiator and only the support was modified. Mine is a big block hood, but this would fit under a small block hood as well. Nothing sticks up higher than the radiator support.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:01 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Originally i had copyed jeffs idea and cut my support and ran a c5 air bridge worked for my tpi motor.i did a quickie on my hood and glassed it back in flat and cut a hole in it with a rubber seal to seal against my air box i built for the ls1.Im not supposed to be doing body and paint(docs orders)so i just did a quick job to see if it worked i painted it with black textured trunk and bedpaint.My intake air temps were always above 180 before now today i let it run and warm up and they never went over 82.It sucks so much air from the cowl induction now sounds like a vacuum cleaner.Im driving it to work tommorow to see how much better she runs sucking fresh air from the cowl instead of under hood heat.Heres a quick shot of it.After my doc says my lung capacity is back up to 80% im at 53% now i should be able to finish it and paint it electron blue.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2039...52841409nYXdcJ
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Originally i had copyed jeffs idea and cut my support and ran a c5 air bridge worked for my tpi motor.i did a quickie on my hood and glassed it back in flat and cut a hole in it with a rubber seal to seal against my air box i built for the ls1.Im not supposed to be doing body and paint(docs orders)so i just did a quick job to see if it worked i painted it with black textured trunk and bedpaint.My intake air temps were always above 180 before now today i let it run and warm up and they never went over 82.It sucks so much air from the cowl induction now sounds like a vacuum cleaner.Im driving it to work tommorow to see how much better she runs sucking fresh air from the cowl instead of under hood heat.Heres a quick shot of it.After my doc says my lung capacity is back up to 80% im at 53% now i should be able to finish it and paint it electron blue.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2039...52841409nYXdcJ

Very nice work Pat, that is a great idea. Those cooler temps should make it run better. That is a 100 degree difference. Cooler air = denser air.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Sorry guy's I was up working in Alaska working on Pawn shops. Here is my ZO6 scoop that directs air straight in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

You got to change that coupler out to red. The Blue matches the car, but the red coil packs are stealing the thunder. If you change it to black or red it will all blend in. I hate to see you spend mega bucks on a blower and pulleys and all anyone notices is the coupling. Still cool as S. Love those Maggies.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Pat - That cowl induction looks awesome. My buddies and I were thinking about running some tubing 180* out of the throttle body next to the motor, and then into the cowl. It would work but then it would mess up the beauty of the LS1 swap. Your idea is much cleaner.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Pat - That cowl induction looks awesome. My buddies and I were thinking about running some tubing 180* out of the throttle body next to the motor, and then into the cowl. It would work but then it would mess up the beauty of the LS1 swap. Your idea is much cleaner.
Thats what YearOne did with their Innovator Camaro.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Thats what YearOne did with their Innovator Camaro.

Thanks Matt,i almost did the setup from year one,but wanted to do a test first to see how much difference it would make ,will see today.And still have an 80 hood i can do what budman did if need be.I really like that look Buddy.

Get notified of new replies

To Who out there has actually swapped an LS1/LS2/LS6 into their C3?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprJames
Add me to the building, although I'm not sure I'll EVER be finished. The LS swap was the easy part....

sweet looking chassis
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Budman78
You got to change that coupler out to red. The Blue matches the car, but the red coil packs are stealing the thunder. If you change it to black or red it will all blend in. I hate to see you spend mega bucks on a blower and pulleys and all anyone notices is the coupling. Still cool as S. Love those Maggies.

You wouldn't believe how many beers worth of discussion that one has had here. I have a red one. Maybe I'll pop it on, take a picture, and have a POLL. Probably come up 50/50. We'll see. And thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Budman78
Sorry guy's I was up working in Alaska working on Pawn shops. Here is my ZO6 scoop that directs air straight in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Just needs a few teeth for that Shark look. Very Cool...

Quick Reply: Who out there has actually swapped an LS1/LS2/LS6 into their C3?