C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cut Off Switch - switching negative?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Battery Cut Off Switch - switching negative?

I want to put a master battery disconnect on my car, its the morosso switch type, for the outside of th ecar, was thinking of putting it where the factory alarm switch used to be. Its the easiest place as below that is where I am going to put the remote charge/jump posts for the battery. The only question I have is that it means I would switch the ground (would disconnect the ground from the system when I turn the switch off) Are there any pro's - cons to this? I dont see any, when I disconnect my battery now I always pull the negative, not the positive.

My other location would be the on wiper door, but that means running a complete new positive cable.

Thoughts?

Nick
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

An outside mount of any stripe seems to be an unnecessary PITA. Why not use a blade or **** type inside? Would sure beat all that fartin around running cables and the like. Also for the jump connections, I would do that differently too. There is a company called Anderson that makes Power Connection type parts, they have a 2 pin power connector good for 100amps. I have used their connector to make a custom set of jumpers with a pigtail on the battery that plugs into the jumpers. That way there is no cable running to do or any of that. The only drawback is you can't loan out your jumper cables

SOmething like this;
http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...19A041+M37+ENG

you would get 2 connector bodies and 4 contacts, they are indexed so you can't connect it backwards

Last edited by SIXFOOTER; 08-07-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Hardrock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a blade type on the Vette and **** types on other cars. All are on the battery.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a generic cutoff switch from Carsile last year.
Right inbetween the seats, removable key, fairly hidden with key in, totally hidden with key out by carpet.
I did some research and asked questions on here and the conclusion was to put the cutoff switch on the negative wire. If anything was to happen I'd rather not be on the hot wire.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...battery+cutoff
Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
texbeasr3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this type of red key switch twice, both failed due to high resistance or poor internal contact, after a few months. I believe failure was due to vibration, since I did not mount the switch, just hanging from the negative wires. Abandoned the key switch for solid connection....my battery does not drain down, even after several week of non use.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Cut Off Switch - switching negative?

Quick Reply: Battery Cut Off Switch - switching negative?