C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping from conventional oil to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swapping from conventional oil to synthetic

I am sure this question has been asked but here goes. I have an 82 with 120K on the original motor. If I swap from conventional oil to synthetic will it pose any problems? I have been told that it can produce leaks and smoke caused ny the dtergents in the synthetic cleaning gunk out and damaging brittle seals. Is this true?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the real experts can chime in but I tried the same with my 82. The new synthetics are much 'slicker' than conventional oils; much smaller molecular structure I believe which is beneficial to newer engines with very small tolerances. What I found using synthetic was that it will find a leak where I did not know one previously existed (eg, rear main seal). Obviously the seal was worn but dino oil did not get through like the syn. I replaced the seal and went back to conv. oil. No problems. Change the oil regularly/frequently and I believe there is no appreciable difference on these older motors. I use syn. in my new vehicle. Engine wear may one day become a thing of the past......

Mark
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive switch to synth in my 79 L82.
The only problem I have is the rear main seal leaks a little more.
It needs replace anyway.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have a '76 and switched to synthetic several years ago without issues.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
RxForPain
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone to a blend myself. I sub. a quart of Mobil 1.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I have used synthetic in my 76 L-48, 118,000 original miles for the last 8 or 9 years. No issues.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

I use synthetic oils in all my cars. I do not recommend trying to break in a new engine because it will take a lot longer to accomplish. ( Do to less friction) However all synthetic oils are not truly synthetic. Any oils that have synthetic properties can be called a synthetic. This has been proven in court. A true synthetic oil has identical molecules that reduce wear, and friction. Less friction means longer life.

Mobil 1 is probably the only true synthetic on the market. It cost more, but you get what you pay for. As far as cleaning the engine gunk out on a older car, any high detergent quality oil will do that. Depending on which synthetic oil type you use, it can cause premature seal failure. Ther 4 different types. Mobil 1 is a PAO type synthetic oil that is compatable with any other types of mineral oil. I have talked with several Mobil engineers that I personally trust, and they run their oil changes up to 15K miles before changing the oil. However they change the filters at either 3000 or 5000 miles. I change my oil at 10K miles. Hope this might help!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
I use synthetic oils in all my cars. I do not recommend trying to break in a new engine because it will take a lot longer to accomplish. ( Do to less friction) However all synthetic oils are not truly synthetic. Any oils that have synthetic properties can be called a synthetic. This has been proven in court. A true synthetic oil has identical molecules that reduce wear, and friction. Less friction means longer life.

Mobil 1 is probably the only true synthetic on the market. It cost more, but you get what you pay for. As far as cleaning the engine gunk out on a older car, any high detergent quality oil will do that. Depending on which synthetic oil type you use, it can cause premature seal failure. Ther 4 different types. Mobil 1 is a PAO type synthetic oil that is compatable with any other types of mineral oil. I have talked with several Mobil engineers that I personally trust, and they run their oil changes up to 15K miles before changing the oil. However they change the filters at either 3000 or 5000 miles. I change my oil at 10K miles. Hope this might help!

Thanks.....I was thinking of swaping to Mobil 1 20w-50. I just dont want to start sprouting leaks. Maybe A blend of conventional and synthetic (Mobil1) would be the way to go. Im just not sure.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
kayosnes
Racer

I use syntetic in the engine, transmission, steering and diff. no leaking.

hot rod performed a test where they changed all oil to syntetic. And dynoed the engine before and after. It showed an increase in hp and torque when using syntetic
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm not sure what benefit you would get by using a "blend" of organic and synthetic oils. If you are looking to reduce friction [and wear], plus extend oil change intervals, you want to go full synthetic. If you do, some minor leaks may show up...but only because the seal/gasket is getting worn anyway. If you want to save money on oil changes (but don't care about better life and durability of engine parts), keep using organic oil.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
LXXVIII
Heel & Toe

I run Synthetic in my 66 Mustang and conventional 20/50 or 10/40 in my 78 C3. Synthetic has better consistent viscosity (the oil’s ability to flow) making it flow better through the engine. If you do not take your engine to the extremes, conventional oil is fine as long as you change it regularly. Synthetic is also less likely to “gunk” up – again the viscosity reasons. A synthetic will not allow your engine to break in when new and you could see blow by with older engines. That will be determined by the condition of your engine. There are synthetic oils that state they increase gas mileage and engine wear, but I have not been able to see real proven data – other than their brochures which will be tested in a Lab environment which in most cases is WAY of field trials on large populations.

Bottom line, my opinion, I do not see a difference in either one of my cars…Your honey, you decide the necture…
Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm not sure what benefit you would get by using a "blend" of organic and synthetic oils. If you are looking to reduce friction [and wear], plus extend oil change intervals, you want to go full synthetic. If you do, some minor leaks may show up...but only because the seal/gasket is getting worn anyway. If you want to save money on oil changes (but don't care about better life and durability of engine parts), keep using organic oil.
I am trying to get more life out of an older engine....Does synthetic affect oil pressure?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
LXXVIII
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bluesilver82
I am trying to get more life out of an older engine....Does synthetic affect oil pressure?

I had no noticable difference when I went to synthetic for pressure.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The only real way to see the results of synthetic other that gas mileage is to measure internal engine components before using synthetic and then running the car for many, many miles and then rechecking them.

Have a look:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Las_Vegas.aspx

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 08-10-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I heard that the original (or old tech) seals on the old engines are not compatible with synthetic oil, ie they cant hold that kind of oil inside. so, even if your seals are good still they will leak. thats why you can use synthetic oil on a freshly rebuilt engines, because all the seals were changed with new, synthetic oil compatible seals.

After all thats what I heard, not sure if correct, someone will correct me.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by LXXVIII
I run Synthetic in my 66 Mustang and conventional 20/50 or 10/40 in my 78 C3. Synthetic has better consistent viscosity (the oil’s ability to flow) making it flow better through the engine. If you do not take your engine to the extremes, conventional oil is fine as long as you change it regularly. Synthetic is also less likely to “gunk” up – again the viscosity reasons. A synthetic will not allow your engine to break in when new and you could see blow by with older engines. That will be determined by the condition of your engine. There are synthetic oils that state they increase gas mileage and engine wear, but I have not been able to see real proven data – other than their brochures which will be tested in a Lab environment which in most cases is WAY of field trials on large populations.

Bottom line, my opinion, I do not see a difference in either one of my cars…Your honey, you decide the necture…
GM uses Mobil 1 as the oil from the very start for new Corvettes...I guess Z06 engines never break in.

Originally Posted by HamadUP
I heard that the original (or old tech) seals on the old engines are not compatible with synthetic oil, ie they cant hold that kind of oil inside. so, even if your seals are good still they will leak. thats why you can use synthetic oil on a freshly rebuilt engines, because all the seals were changed with new, synthetic oil compatible seals.

After all thats what I heard, not sure if correct, someone will correct me.
The seals are compatible, if they're worn out you'll likely see more leakage with synthetic.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I wouldn't do it in my 70 L46. The rear main leaks a little now and no telling what synthetic would do! Why ask for trouble?

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping from conventional oil to synthetic

Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never change the oil diet on a 100K+ motor. Don't change anything!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion, and everybody knows what those are like, but for my money spending upwards of 5 bucks a quart on oil to save maybe 5% on gas on a car that is (probably) a weekend cruiser doesn't really make financial sense, especially with the extra leakage that I can personally attest to from using synthetic oils. The primary advantage that I have witnessed with synthetics is that their film strength holds up and they (typically) won't break down until well above 300 degrees. Great for racing engines that have a high probability of seeing those kinds of temps on hot days, but of dubious value on most street-driven cars under almost any conditions. If you want to use synthetic oil because it's just plain better oil, fine. If you want to save money, buy Rotella at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I like synthetic not for any potential fuel savings, but for the improved engine wear properties.

Quick Reply: Swapping from conventional oil to synthetic