C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil + Best Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil + Best Spark Plugs?

Anybody know if a Pertronix Flame Thrower II Coil will work with 1969 small block? Also are NGK Spark Plugs better than Bosch? What's that best out there? Lastly, what would be the best plug gap with this combo? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Block_Head
Burning Brakes

An underpaid guy at Oreilly tried talked me into their Bosch Platinums and the car ran worse than before. I went back and bought some ngk plugs suggested by someone I worked with and the difference was unmistakable.

-

Not only did they work great they fit under the headers better and were cheaper.

-

Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Anybody know if a Pertronix Flame Thrower II Coil will work with 1969 small block? .......
High likelihood it would work. The question is: Why do you want it? Do you have any technical documentation that this coil is better than the stock coil? Shiny paint and stickers don't make horsepower.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
High likelihood it would work. The question is: Why do you want it? Do you have any technical documentation that this coil is better than the stock coil? Shiny paint and stickers don't make horsepower.
Your car will not run better with a Pertronix coil. It might even make it run worse. A Pertronix coil did that to me. I went back to stock because it works.

As always - JMO.

-Mark.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I bought my coil at Autozone. They didnt have any 'stock' coils so I grabbed an Accel from the 'performance' isle.

Plugs are funny. Bosch +4's were the best plug I ever used in the '94. Each application needs a different plug.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Anybody know if a Pertronix Flame Thrower II Coil will work with 1969 small block? Also are NGK Spark Plugs better than Bosch? What's that best out there? Lastly, what would be the best plug gap with this combo? Thanks!
I ran the Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil with my '69 sm. block for several years. This coil is best suited for the Pertronix Ignitor II ignition (which I also used), as it has less resistance than the regular coil but will work with other ignitions; but adding it alone won't show noticeable difference if your current coil is working good. However, the Pertronix package worked flawlessly for years with excellent performance. (I never had to remove the dist. cap for maintenance ever). I used a .045 plug gap with regular Delco plugs; tried others, but none worked better for me, and the price is friendlier. Also IMO, electronics is light years ahead of points (that's why new cars don't have 'em.)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks a bunch. I have the electronic ignition. I'm going to buy the NGK plugs and use a 0.045 gap. Thanks so much!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm running a stock Bosch replacement coil on my 9 sec. 540. Never misses a beat. If you look real close in the center picture you can see it mounted to stock coil bracket right behind throttle bracket. Lots of hype out there!

Plugs are same way. Use whatever you like. NGK's do very well in extreme situations like N20 etc....but I've run just as fast on basic A/C extended tip street plugs. For example, the extended tip, super hot A/C's I use all the time on the street and quite often at the track are literally over 3 years old. Never touch them. I have a colder set of NGK's I use when I get excited and want to spend some extra time before I go to the track..but mainly it's because they don't have as many miles on them and are easier to *read* to make sure jetting is still in the game.

You don't need whizbang trick stuff on these cars. Newer electronic stuff is a lot pickier about it..but not this stuff.

JIM
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice. I was just looking to do a few little cheap things this week and see if it has any affect on power and gas mileage.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My '69 427/435 has a Flamethrower II installed by the previous owner and it runs fine. I have AC RapidFire plugs and like them as well.

A coil will only put out what voltage is necessary to fire the spark across the plug gap. If it takes 30,000 volts to fire the spark, your 40,000+ volt coil will only put out 30,000 volts. If your engine is kept at peak state of tune, a stock coil is all that's necessary unless you like the chrome coil or the red color of it, or the little sticker they come with you place somewhere to tell the world what parts you're running.

What you should be more concerned about in a coil is its saturation or recovery time...how fast it rebuilds its spark energy after each pulse. That's where a performance coil can beat a stock unit...and then usually at higher rpm's only will it make a difference.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Accel Super Coil in my car and stock AC Delco spark plugs, both work flawlessly. My original coil went bad and I got a great deal on the Accel from someone, otherwise I would have replace it with another stock coil.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

I see what you're saying. I just wanted to put a couple little cheap upgrades on the new engine. Do you think it would be designed to work with the Pertronix electronic ignition better than the stock one?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Pertronix is a very good electronic ignition conversion...probably the standard others are measured against without replacing the entire distributor.

If you make the change, try it with the stock coil. If you're happy with the way it runs, why bother changing the coil? If you decide you want a different coil, it's an easy swap.

To be honest, the electronic ignition conversion will not really make your car run much, if any better compared to a properly tuned points ignition (in a stock engine). Where a points ignition slowly degrades with mileage and time (along with timing changes, etc.), the electronic ignition maintains setting indefinitely, outside of distributor wear, which can occur with any ignition.

If you make the swap, don't expect miracles, but you can expect decreased maintenance, longer spark plug life and the like.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

I can be happy with less maintainence. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I always buy a hotter coil like an Accel and then gap my plugs .005 wider so you can take advantage of the hotter spark.
A longer hot spark is better than a short hot spark.
I tested spark plug gaps on a hot street car years ago and you can gap too far open and really loose power, so I kept backing the gap closer until I hit the sweet spot and it really makes a differnce.
Good wires help also, not Autozone pre mades.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
I always buy a hotter coil like an Accel and then gap my plugs .005 wider so you can take advantage of the hotter spark. How do you know that the Accel coil is "hotter"? Unless you've had better luck than I have, I have never been able to obtain actual electrical specs of aftermarket coils, or most aftermarket modules. Buying a coil without comparing the electrical specs is like buying a camshaft in a plain brown wrapper. How do you know what you have without actual specs and numbers?
A longer hot spark is better than a short hot spark. I totally agree. The question is, who's part will actually deliver that.
........................................ ...............
Until I find an aftermarket ignition coil/module supplier with enough confidence in their own product to actually give out real specs (the cam grinders aren't afraid to tell us what their product really is), I don't give them my money.
Years ago I bought a parts kit to put a magnetic reluctance pick-up coil in my stock tach-drive distributor. I measured the waveform with an oscilloscope to determine what shape it was. I found out it is similar to an HEI pick-up waveform, so I hooked it up to a remote mounted HEI module (under the shielding). I have a total of about 55 bucks in this conversion. It runs flawlessly, and I haven't had to change plugs or touch the system in years.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Pertronix Ignitor upgrade full 12VDC feed to Pertronix coil and AC Spark Plugs in my Chevy (why put foreign parts in your Chevy?) My Pertronix coil was made in the USA, buddy of mine just bought one, the sticker on the bottom said: Made in China AAAAAAAAAARRGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Coil + Best Spark Plugs?

Quick Reply: Coil + Best Spark Plugs?