C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 12:45 AM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cross-fire

What is Cross-Fire Injection?
Old 11-09-2001, 01:25 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Cross-fire (Corvettelvr73)

Crossfire Injection was the first electronic fuel injection used on the Corvette. It first appeared in 1982, and was used on the 1984 C-4.
It was a sort of of Dual throttle body setup. It was an attempt to provide better emissions, fuel economy and performance. Well it sort of struck out on the performance part. The real problem is that it did not lend it's self to performance upgrades.
There are some guys that have really done some nice work with Crossfires, and significantly improved their performance over stock in recent times.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:47 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Cross-fire (Corvettelvr73)

Ya what he said...

I think that Mopar used it in the 60's or 70's with carburaters, and it was a pretty good performer, but it wasn't used in production until the 82 corvette.

The main drawback on the corvette was that chevy narrowed down the intake runners, emissions ? my guess. Stock they were rated at 200 horses, but I have seen others getting over 300 horses out of this system, so it's not a dead dog, you just have to modify it to get it to scream...

By the way. isn't that what just about everybody does ( modify it ) with all the other years and setups ( carbs, intakes, exhaust, etc.) that chevy put out in a corvette. Heck some of the other CF members even resort to putting in ZZ4 motors to get more performance out of there vette... HUH Bryan?

Old 11-09-2001, 01:53 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Cross-fire (Desertdawg)

And if some were really smart they would put a ZZ4 in their '82 with the cross fire injection system on the new motor ........
Old 02-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Terrence.jones
5th Gear

Default T Jones

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
Ya what he said...

I think that Mopar used it in the 60's or 70's with carburaters, and it was a pretty good performer, but it wasn't used in production until the 82 corvette.

The main drawback on the corvette was that chevy narrowed down the intake runners, emissions ? my guess. Stock they were rated at 200 horses, but I have seen others getting over 300 horses out of this system, so it's not a dead dog, you just have to modify it to get it to scream...

By the way. isn't that what just about everybody does ( modify it ) with all the other years and setups ( carbs, intakes, exhaust, etc.) that chevy put out in a corvette. Heck some of the other CF members even resort to putting in ZZ4 motors to get more performance out of there vette... HUH Bryan?
so what exactly is a zz4 i just bought an 84 vette with the crossfire injection now i want to increase the speed please help im open to all suggestions and appreciate them
Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Terrence.jones
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Smokehouse69
Crossfire Injection was the first electronic fuel injection used on the Corvette. It first appeared in 1982, and was used on the 1984 C-4.
It was a sort of of Dual throttle body setup. It was an attempt to provide better emissions, fuel economy and performance. Well it sort of struck out on the performance part. The real problem is that it did not lend it's self to performance upgrades.
There are some guys that have really done some nice work with Crossfires, and significantly improved their performance over stock in recent times.
hey smokwhouse69 how are you sir what can i do thats not gonna cost me a boat load of money to make my 84 vette faster its the 350 with the crossfire injection
Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Terrence.jones
5th Gear

Default T Jones

Originally Posted by BSeery
And if some were really smart they would put a ZZ4 in their '82 with the cross fire injection system on the new motor ........
what about the 84 with the crossfire injection 350 motor what can i do thats not gonna cost a boatload of money to make this car faster
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Default T Jones

Originally Posted by Terrence.jones
what about the 84 with the crossfire injection 350 motor what can i do thats not gonna cost a boatload of money to make this car faster
post your question in the C4 area to start with to get the best answers about your 84
The following users liked this post:
Terrence.jones (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Terrence.jones
...so what exactly is a zz4...
FWIW: this thread is from 2001.

Get notified of new replies