C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle stuck at 1600 rpm after freeway driving! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Idle stuck at 1600 rpm after freeway driving! Why?

I drove my '80 to work today and took the freeway. Traffic was moving right along at 70-80 mph. (And that's the right lane. Stay out of the left lane if you're not going faster.) After 10 miles or so, traffic came to an abrupt halt and changed to stop-and-go.

Normally my car idles at about 600 rpm, but when I slowed suddenly and joined the stop-and-go traffic, it was idling at 1600 rpm. Nothing I tried slowed it down. The choke didn't seem to be stuck closed. (That happened once when one of the wires came off the electric choke control, so I know how the car runs when the choke is stuck closed.) The throttle didn't seem to be stuck.

Managed to get to work without over heating. I shut the car off, popped the hood, and removed the air box. The choke was wide open, both wires were still attached, andthe throttle was resting against the idle screw.

After a couple hours of meetings, I went out and started it up again. Idle was normal, the choke only stayed closed for a little while like it's supposed to (idled at 1000 rpm), then opened like it's supposed to (idle dropped to 600 rpm like I expected).

So, what could have caused the idle to be so high after the 10-mile cruse on the freeway?
I've noticed it idled faster after cruising on the freeway, but never this fast.

Under the hood:
* GM 350 HO Deluxe crate engine (330 hp, 380 ft lbs torque)
* Holley 600 cfm 80457S (basically an 1850 with an electric choke)
* BW Super T-10 4-spd
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like one of the choke levers stuck. Wnen you shut it down the choke pulloff might have kicked it loose. Look over all the rods and levers on the passenger side and see if anything jumps out at you. Maybe Lars or someone smarter than me will chime in
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a stretch..but it happened to me.

My advance weights were hanging up and didn't return to normal postion when decelerating down to idle. In effect keeping the dist. a little advanced...caused my idle to sit at about 900rpm's versus the normal 700 at idle.

Couldn't figure it out until one day I shut the engine down at the high idle and pulled the cap and rotor.....
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Sounds like one of the choke levers stuck. Wnen you shut it down the choke pulloff might have kicked it loose. Look over all the rods and levers on the passenger side and see if anything jumps out at you. Maybe Lars or someone smarter than me will chime in
That was the first thing I suspected. The choke was wide open when I checked it in the parking lot.

Originally Posted by SmokinBBC
Here's a stretch..but it happened to me.

My advance weights were hanging up and didn't return to normal postion when decelerating down to idle. In effect keeping the dist. a little advanced...caused my idle to sit at about 900rpm's versus the normal 700 at idle.

Couldn't figure it out until one day I shut the engine down at the high idle and pulled the cap and rotor.....

Hmmm. I didn't even think about the timing/distributor. I changed weights and springs about 6 months ago. In hindsight, how can I tell if the weights were hung up after shutting the car off? How do I fix that problem (if that is the problem)?

Last edited by MN80Vette; 09-10-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
That was the first thing I suspected. The choke was wide open when I checked it in the parking lot.

Hmmm. I didn't even think about the timing/distributor. I changed weights and springs about 6 months ago. In hindsight, how can I tell if the weights were hung up after shutting the car off?
Next time it happens, shut the engine off and remove the cap and rotor. Inspect the weights. One of my weights was slightly stuck out and didn't return to the normal position.

Last edited by SmokinBBC; 09-10-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SmokinBBC
Next time it happens, shut the engine off and remove the cap and rotor. Inspect the weights. One of my weights was slightly stuck out and didn't return to the normal position.
The more I think about it, the more I suspect the timing/weights. I had timing problems, especially when accelerating. That's why I changed the weights. The problem developed over time. The 350 HO ran like a top until the last few weeks or so.

So, if one (or both) of the weights are stuck out, what do I do about it? Is there some kind of lube I can apply?

Get notified of new replies

To Idle stuck at 1600 rpm after freeway driving! Why?

Quick Reply: Idle stuck at 1600 rpm after freeway driving! Why?