C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm Shims - How many?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 AM
wjsullivan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing Arm Shims - How many?

On my '75 the trailing arms were shot and the shims were worse. I did my best to count the shims, per the service manuals instructions when I removed the old arms, but only two large ones per side of the arm were removable. The rest was rusted so bad it was just flaky stuff in between the big shims.

Now, after much other work, I'm ready to put the new arms up. I've got a new stainless steel shim kit from Mid America. The biggest shims there seem to be a little smaller than the biggest in the MA kit, but that could just be rust build up.

My question is, how many shims should I be using? I figure at least two big per side of the trialing arm, so 4 per side of the car. But since the smaller shims had just disintegrated, I have no way of knowing how many more to add.

Thus far I'm able to get two big and one small shim per side of the trailing arm.

Ideas?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

i ran into the same thing on my 79. after cutting trailing arm bolts out. i just split the new ones up evenly on both sides of the arms and drove it to alignment shop. after alignment most of them ended up on the outter side of the arm. but each car is different, just guess till you get the rear aligned.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by speedreed8
i ran into the same thing on my 79. after cutting trailing arm bolts out. i just split the new ones up evenly on both sides of the arms and drove it to alignment shop. after alignment most of them ended up on the outter side of the arm. but each car is different, just guess till you get the rear aligned.
I agree. I have done this on two cars: just split them evenly on both sides of both arms, tighten them down and then drive to the alignment shop of your choice. Make sure that some 18 year old isn't the one doing the alignment!

Gary
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

Thanks guys.

I'll torque them down and leave the cotter pin out. The first stop for the car is an alignment, but that won't be until spring and the rear end was just the start of my work.

I'll be sure to bring any extra shims with me.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install the cotter pin. I'll send you cash for the replacement.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

an easy way to get a rough alignment is to get a piece of string and go from the front tire to the back tire and center it on the hubs. you can tie the front around the sway bar and hold the back with your hand. with no shims in the pocket move the tire in or out so that it is touching the string in the front and back evenly . then stick in the shims . you can even do your final allignment like this it just takes a little time. it is how i do mine. the camber is easy to adjust. you want the top of the tire to lean in maybe 0-1/8"

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm Shims - How many?

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Shims - How many?