C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanden 508-V compressor won't fit 74 BB

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sanden 508-V compressor won't fit 74 BB

I am upgrading my A/C compressor to a Sanden 508-V but the hose fittings coming out of the compressor at the back are oriented upward and will not clear the hood on my 74 LS-4. Alaska Auto Air sold me this compressor especially for my application, supposedly. Has anyone else run into this issue? My mechanic checked with another supplier (Vintage Air, I think) who told him Sanden makes a version that has fittings that come straight out the back, not up. Is that what I need? Any help or suggestions from others who have done this mod would be most appreciated.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there room behind the compressor for rearward pointing lines? If so, then that's the route I would go too, though I have no experience with that particular compressor.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What fittings did you try? I have seen a couple that use the sanden and they use an AN 90* fitting and it clears.

thinking..

Rob Has that compressor on his car -- carpedm
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Busrydr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you rotate the compressor's mounting point such that the hose fittings point more towards the fender and not up? I have a small block 73 but my mounting options allow me to position the hoses so that when the compressor is tighten with the fan belt in place, my hoses point to the right side fender.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Maybe yours can be made to work, but I know for a fact that the rear exit 508 does fit a C3 big-block as that's what I'm running.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

You can buy low profile hoses that come out of the compressor and take an immediate 90 degree bend........plus I think you can clock the end plate.

http://www.rjays.com/Air-Cond/hra_imgs/comphard-lg.jpg
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a pick of what you want as far as ports.

Have Alaska Air get the proper one for you.

Secondly, you want a Sanden 7 series, not a 5 series.

The original Harrison A6 was a larger displacement compressor than most GM cars and even the 7 series Sanden is not as large.
Sandens numbering system has changed but it can still be crosssed over.

That is the reason why people think that the Sanden is better because it takes less hp to drive it. In reality it is much smaller.

Aftermarket systems are okay with it because the evaporator is insid the cabin.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Busrydr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the mounting tabs on your compressor are stamped with letters, try using tabs "G & C". As long as this does not place the oil fill plug at more than a 90 degree angle from the top, see if your hoses clear the hood.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 AM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by noonie
Here is a pick of what you want as far as ports.

Have Alaska Air get the proper one for you.

Secondly, you want a Sanden 7 series, not a 5 series.

The original Harrison A6 was a larger displacement compressor than most GM cars and even the 7 series Sanden is not as large.
Sandens numbering system has changed but it can still be crosssed over.

That is the reason why people think that the Sanden is better because it takes less hp to drive it. In reality it is much smaller.

Aftermarket systems are okay with it because the evaporator is insid the cabin.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Are you saying here that a Sanden 508 will not work as well as the stock compressor because it is smaller?

Does Sanden make a rear-exit-port 7 Series?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have an '88 style compressor on my SB, and I remember having an cow in the DC region as NO ONE made hoses up custom....total blank stare even from a/c shops supposedly in the know....deer/headlights look....nitwits....

when moving to Jax Fl. 2 years later, I found a shop in two phone calls, they made up the custom hoses right there....had the fitting and everything right in stock, hooked me up for less than 100 bux.....

Bet odds you find the right/competant a/c shop with proper gear, i'ts an easy hookup....nothing stock will work, the cobble up crap I did in DC outta junkyard parts really pissed me off, but it was do or die....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow-fever
Thanks for all the suggestions. Are you saying here that a Sanden 508 will not work as well as the stock compressor because it is smaller?

Does Sanden make a rear-exit-port 7 Series?
That's what I'm saying. 7 series in the pic also.

Don't have the model numbers in front of me, but look up Sandens website and they list at least 20 different combos.
You can even get a model with better seals, extra heavy duty clutch et. designed for offroad and commercial use.

Pick a 7 series with the options you need. Any good shop can make up hoses. If they can't go elsewhere. Ports are standard 0ring.
Here in the deep south A/C is a way of life, many more good shops.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

May be a dumb question but does a 7 series bolt right up to the original brackets or do they offer retroft brackets?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by noonie
That's what I'm saying. 7 series in the pic also.

Don't have the model numbers in front of me, but look up Sandens website and they list at least 20 different combos.
You can even get a model with better seals, extra heavy duty clutch et. designed for offroad and commercial use.

Pick a 7 series with the options you need. Any good shop can make up hoses. If they can't go elsewhere. Ports are standard 0ring.
Here in the deep south A/C is a way of life, many more good shops.

Thank you again for your help. I looked at Sanden's web site and this is their table of 7-series R-134a compressors:

http://www.sanden.com/products/piston7models.html

I would like a rear-port V-belt 7 series, polished if possible, for my 74 BB, but the rest of it is greek to me.

If there is any way you could provide a model # for the one like in your pic it would be most apppreciated. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Sanden 508-V compressor won't fit 74 BB

Quick Reply: Sanden 508-V compressor won't fit 74 BB