C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark costs on an aluminum big block street motor?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing what direction you go and of course you will do what you want and everyone will think it's great in the end. However, it's half the fun debating the plan imo, I have learned a ton of info on this forum with ppl not agreeing with me.

Anyway, I think since you indicated an aluminum 427 bb, it's pretty logical to look at output, weight and cost factor comparisons with the 427 sb, 427 iron BB with a lightened car etc.

I really vascilated back and forth between several options before going with the 427 sb, like George did (and I agree about sb427 vs. bb427, with the modern head designs, the sb heads are darn good, particularly when you consider that you want the necessary flow with as high of velocity possible). I looked at the 502 ramjet seriously and frankly if I had seen the custom hood design that a guy built for his 502 ramjet, I probably would have gone that root as it would have been cheaper (but less power than my 427 sb). I also looked at the 509 Merlin and 595 hp (dynoed) Shafiroff 434 sb crate motors.

I think that a lot of guys are thinking 'bang for the buck' issues as most vette owners that mod their cars want to get the most power they can for their money and clearly you are going against the grain a bit. But like I said earlier, do what you want and everyone will think it's cool in the end anyway.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeThrees

Like most of us here when we learned about the ultra rare 1969 ZL-1's, who didn't want one?!

This won't be one of 3 originals but it'll be close enough for me

It's taken me thirty years, and I also agree it won't be original, but it'll be close enough for me, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ballpark costs on an aluminum big block street motor?