C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 vette L48 - long or short block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM
agent kronus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 vette L48 - long or short block?

I was thinking about a BluePrint crate engine, (Long Block, Chevy 383 Small Block)

Is that a easy fit?

what does the 78 vette have short block or long block?, if its a short block, then is it hard to fit a long block??

cheers

dave
Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All engines are the same dimensions. Is a short block shorter than a long block, the answer is no. They are the same size, the reason they call it a short block is that many of the parts are left off such as heads, rockers, lifters, oil pan, etc. In other words they have been shorted from a long block, hence the name short block.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Short block:

Long Block:
Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
agent kronus
Racer

Thanks guys, I was abit confused there!, but there is a difference in size of the "big block" and "small block" ??

so aslong as I go for a small block, it will be a simple swap?

dave
Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
breathial
Pro

Provided you use another small-block Chevy as the replacement, there should be no significant issues.

Make sure it's the first generation of small-block, however. If you start looking at later versions (LT-1=second generation, LS-1 = third generation), things will quickly spiral out of your control, as the later engines require modifications to the car to work properly.

And, no insult intended, your questions would indicate to me that these modifications are currently beyond your skill-set.

If you're looking to upgrade, a nice 400 small-block, bored and cleaned-up to maybe 406 (.030" overbore) would nicely wake up your car, without breaking the bank, and offer a huge increase in torque (what you feel when you punch the gas-pedal), right where you need it.

BTW, I don't ascribe to the 383 swap, for a replacement engine, as a 406 gives you extra cubic inches, without sacrificing anything else, which *also* increases torque. The 383 is popular, as people often use their 350 block, and increase cubic displacement as much as possible, while retaining the stock block. However, this is not a consideration for you, hence my recommendation.

Good luck!

Eric

Last edited by breathial; 10-30-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 vette L48 - long or short block?

Quick Reply: 78 vette L48 - long or short block?