C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Hei distributor weight bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
lincoln9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Hei distributor weight bushings?

I'm having trouble finding bushings that fit stock wieghts in my 76' hei distributor. I have several after market kits with weights and bushings but the bushings don't fit the stock weights and I can't get a good curve with these kit weights. Does any body know where to purchase new bushings that fit stock gm weights?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Look near the bottom of the page.

http://www.kendrick-auto.com/ignition.htm
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM
lincoln9
Advanced

Yes, I called them and made an order about a month ago. They did not have the bushings even though the website lists them, they actually talked me into a pertronix weight and bushing set and to scrap the stock weights they told me that was all they ever install for a performance setup.

Well I didn't scrap the stock weights but I have tried the pertronix set. Even with the lightest springs with pertronix weights and center piece I get a strange curve it totals 26 degrees at about 3500 so with the 10 intial I'm at 36 at 3500 What is strange is that at 2800 rpm I have 24 degrees nice and smooth up to there but then the extra 2 comes in at 3500 or even a bit higher instantly and slightly erratic.

With the order I made at kendric auto I ordered the bushings to get my end play down from .065 to .010 because something was causing my my timing to jump 6 to 7 degrees with the stock weights installed at between 3500 and 4000 rpm So it was nice and smooth with medium springs stock weights the curve was 22 at 2700RPM it would stay there as I revved the engine higher it would still stay a 22 then around 3600 it would add another 6 to 7 degrees totalling 30 of just mechanical advance.

Does anybody have any solution to my erratic timing problem that seems to happen at over 3500 rpm.

The distributor has been tighened right up to .010 end play new bushing up top new pertronix coil, module rotor and cap and I can't get rid of this mystery 3 to 6 degrees advance at above 3500rpm
Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 PM
bytor
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem finding these bushings. Finally ordered them from NAPA. http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...ibutor+Bushing
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
lincoln9
Advanced

Thanks for the info but Napa online won't ship to Canada and I phoned Napa here in Canada and they don't have these bushings. Is there any other retailers in Canada or US selling these?

I can't believe these are so hard to find I have been looking for them for over a month.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
lincoln9
Advanced

Can somebody living in the U.S. go to Napa and purchase 5 sets of these bushings? I will send you money via paypal for the bushing and the shipping to Canada.

Otherwise I will have to order an MSD pro billet Hei which looks like it will have a mechanical advance curve I can live with. I sure wish I hadn't spent $150.00 on my stock one now and many hours are into it and it still doesn't work right because I can't get the $4.00 bushings it needs.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default but then the extra 2 comes in at 3500

My setup seems to be doing the same thing. I've got about 34 degrees total in by about 2500 rpm and it stays there until about 3500, where I pick up another 2. I've shimmed the shaft to about .010" and cleaned off all the old corrosion from my weights but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Finding stock HEI bushings is like trying to catch a leprechaun around here, too. I just drilled the stock weight set to accept the larger diameter aftermarket bushings that come in everyones advance kit.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 PM
sjmaster
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Advance Auto parts and ordered up 4 boxes, 2 in each box....had em the next day!! They are from GP Sorensen, made in USA (wow) SKU # 18260063 barecode # 72373
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM
lincoln9
Advanced

I tried to drill these weights out in my drill press a couple of weeks ago with Snap-on Colbalt bits and they destroyed my drill bit. These weights are not made of normal mild steel. What did you use?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kriptonite!

Yeah, I kind of wondered what they were made of myself! I used some titanium coated Chinese bits and lots of lube. I had to drill up one size at a time. I think it took 3 sizes to get the right hole.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 AM
lincoln9
Advanced

I would rather buy the bushings then try to drill them out again. I already ruined $40.00 drill bits. This is driving me crazy, I'm not happy to hear that you still have the same problem even with new bushings in the weights. I wonder what the solution is if there even is a solution? I have been temped to pulled the distributor out and weld the advance slots a bit to limit the total allowed to maybe around 22 and see if I still get the extra 2 or 3 at over 3500.

I was starting to think my timing light was faulty even though it is a top model equus 5568 but I really think it is working correctly.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 AM
lincoln9
Advanced

I actually found on acdelco's website U.S. and acdelco Canada's website that they have these HEI weight bushings listed as rubber spacer's part number D337A. So I would think a GM dealer should be able to get these.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
lincoln9
Advanced

Even though I found an acdelco part# for these bushings still no parts distributor can get them even GM dealers can't seem to find the part number.

Does anybody here have and use a Pro billet MSD HEI distributor? Do you like the mechanical advance weights and setup? Do you think I could put the 21 degree limit bushing in it and get a full 21 degrees by 2500rpms without getting any mechanical advance at a 700rpm idle.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Hei distributor weight bushings?

Quick Reply: GM Hei distributor weight bushings?