C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 vette, choke light???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 03:48 PM
peer81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '81 vette, choke light???

Hello,

I'm Peter from Holland and I have a 81 vette.
My question.
no1: When i want to start my engine (cold). I put my key in the start position, the choke light lights up (is normale) When i start my engine the light go's out agian, the engine runs constant en smooth.
no2: When i want to start my engine (hot, direct after a one houre drive) I put the key agian in the start position, the choke light lights up agian. ?????
When i start the engine the light go's out agian, and the engine runs still smooth.
Is it normale that the choke light lights up (on contact) with a hot engine?? :confused:
I think a hot engine needs no choke so no choke light! But, it can be a check light as the brake, check engine and battery lights.
To be clear the choke light is out when the engine is running.
Btw. my englisch may not be perfect but it will do i hope. :crazy:

Thanks Peter.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:56 PM
Widgett
Instructor

Default Re: '81 vette, choke light??? (peer81)

Your choke light operation sounds normal, mine does the same. I believe it has a differential voltage across the terminals such that a loss of one input will create a voltage potential and cause it to illuminate. Mine started to illuminate while the engine was running when I had a failing alternator.

I believe it lights at start-up to verify the bulb is good.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:33 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Peter,
I also have an 81 and the choke light does the same thing. This is a function of the computer. It goes through a "check" sequence every time you start the car.
Also, your English is fine.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:15 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: '81 vette, choke light??? (Richard Cooper)

I have a question...what is the choke light for? It doesn't stay on when the chokes on in my car. It only comes on when I start it like the check engine light. Does it tell you that there's something wrong with the choke? Or is it a cute add-on that GM put on so you could rewire the choke light to the Check Engine light if you have a umm...modified motor (such as replacing the computer controlled QJet with a Holley) so you can pass your emissions test?

Matt

[Modified by Golden80, 4:17 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 04:01 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome aboard! Your english is just fine. The only other language I can speak is redneck. :D There's more of them around here than I care to mention. :lol: Anyway, sounds like your choke light works the same as mine. I am another one that doesn't understand what the purpose of the light is, but that's OK I guess.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:16 AM
lou
Racer

My 80 choke light operates just like everyone elses. So I thought I would look in the owners manual for some info. There is nothing in there about a choke light. All it says is: to start car pump pedal twice, then with foot off the pedal, turn key! :crazy: lou
Old 11-20-2001, 10:42 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: '81 vette, choke light??? (Dalannex)

The only other language I can speak is redneck. :D
Good one :lol:

Hello from across the North sea. Your English is better than my Dutch!
The choke light on my '81 stayed on with the engine running when no/reduced power was getting to the electric choke, so it seems to be a warning light - if it stays on with the engine running, you have problems.
:cheers:
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To '81 vette, choke light???

Quick Reply: '81 vette, choke light???