C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydroboost Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hydroboost Modification

I received my hydroboost setup for the Vette since I'll be running a relatively BIG cam. The instructions advise that the optimal setup for the low pressure return is to have a separate (additional) return port instead of using the "T" that is provided with the kit. My question is has anyone modified their PS pump to have an additional low pressure return port? I'm gonna look at my pump and see if there is room to do this
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're in luck...I just did this upgrade.
So far so good although I think my headers are a tad too close to the jeep box. I keep having to add PS fluid, I'm up to a quart and a half from a dry system start.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=pump

FYI, I did have to grind and slightly clearance the block to fit the AN input fitting from the jeep box to the center of the pump. Only a tiny bit of grinding on the corner where there was a thick pad on the block.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nastee383
I received my hydroboost setup for the Vette since I'll be running a relatively BIG cam. The instructions advise that the optimal setup for the low pressure return is to have a separate (additional) return port instead of using the "T" that is provided with the kit. My question is has anyone modified their PS pump to have an additional low pressure return port? I'm gonna look at my pump and see if there is room to do this

Just buy one that's already set up for a second return line.

Part #15267670

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Durango_boy;1562737932]Just buy one that's already set up for a second return line.Part #15267670[QUOTE]

Where'd you get one of those mamo-jammas? how much?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
Where'd you get one of those mamo-jammas? how much?

It's $81.88 new through GM Parts Direct.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

Looks like it's a stock pump for a 3/4 & 1 ton 6.0L trucks from '03 - '06.

I'm not sure that the stock pumps are the same...but if a local parts store has one in stock that you could look at it could be verified.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I been running a T fitting in the return line for over a year now...never an issue....
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
I been running a T fitting in the return line for over a year now...never an issue....
I have had mine for 3 years now. Never knew this to be a problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I can see the DB thread now....

Originally Posted by Durango_boy

Part #15267670

We need as many CF members as we can find to go to DB's house right away. He's stuck to his computer and can't get up. Man, you must surf forever to find all this stuff and respond to everybody as much as you do. It's a great help to us lazy people....I'm letting you test the focus fans before I buy them.... ...looks like they work good though.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BB72
We need as many CF members as we can find to go to DB's house right away. He's stuck to his computer and can't get up. Man, you must surf forever to find all this stuff and respond to everybody as much as you do. It's a great help to us lazy people....I'm letting you test the focus fans before I buy them.... ...looks like they work good though.

Truly funny. I'm actually at work now. I'll be going home to work in the garage at lunch time. I'm hoping to run the Vette around again and test the fans through a full cycle one more time before I loom the harness and tuck everything away.

The pump above was something I found after I had done the conversion to my Vette. The one in the picture is the one that's gonna be mounted to the LT1-405 I have ready to drop in when the time comes.

That pump is specifically designed for trucks that came factory equipped with Hydroboosters.

Just let me know if I can help with any part of the Hydrobooster install...or the fan install...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Matt will that pump fit in where a stock one was on a regular 350 small block? Before I plunk down the bread for it will I be the guenea pig for it or do you know that it fits? And also do you shower with it as I see it looks like it is setting next to your bathroom sink?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tigers123
Matt will that pump fit in where a stock one was on a regular 350 small block? Before I plunk down the bread for it will I be the guenea pig for it or do you know that it fits? And also do you shower with it as I see it looks like it is setting next to your bathroom sink?

I have only mounted it on serpentine brackets...not V-belt brackets. However, I have seen late model pumps on older cars so I would guess the stud locations are close enough to work.

One way to tell for sure would be to compare the stud pattern on the back of the pump pictured to your own pump and see how similar the stud locations would be.

On the serpentine brackets, which old pumps will work, the neck is angled out more so the lid isn't right under the alternator. If nothing else, I think it will just angle the neck out further making it easier to fill and check fluid levels.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrvette
I have hydroboost on my Jimmy as well and the "T" has worked just fine. I just didn't notice that blurb in the instructions when I installed it on the Jimmy. In fact, I just went out to the garage and I don't have the hoses to the "T" inline as they should be. I need to change it tomorrow. Haven't had any problems in over a year though.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy

Part #15267670
Whether it fits as stock or not?
Stick with a t-fitting. No issues in a couple years now...

Last edited by Jclgodale3; 11-14-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

GM PN has changed to 15909826 & price went up to $96.95. However, I looked up the same part at AutoZone & they wanted $88.99 + $43 core. So the GMPP is not such a bad deal, for a new pump/reservoir. Just remember that the Vettes require a different pressure orifice.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ratflinger
GM PN has changed to 15909826 & price went up to $96.95. However, I looked up the same part at AutoZone & they wanted $88.99 + $43 core. So the GMPP is not such a bad deal, for a new pump/reservoir. Just remember that the Vettes require a different pressure orifice.

I'll bet it wouldn't be too hard to find one out of a salvage yard for under half of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost Modification

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Modification