C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shield OR not for Delco Starter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
tomard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shield OR not for Delco Starter???

I would like to know if the majority of fellow members are using heat shields on their starters, and if so, what kind? I see the "hard" ones that bolt to starter and the "blanket" types that wrap around and velcro/tie ......
Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the wrap around kind are safer in general.I've seen a couple metal ones get into the pos. term. on the starter.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
tomard
Racer

So, do you have one on your vette?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
79 t-top
Instructor

i don't know which way to go... some people are devil advocates... if it's covered then it's keeping in heat as well as preventing it...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Both Ford and GM use them

The only type of shield that is used on some vehicles is to protect the Bakelite end of the starter switch made out of steel. some Ford starters carry a similar type of switch and a similar shield is used exclusively on the 429/460 ci engines. I run headers on some of my pieces and do NOT use any shields with zero issues. It`s more important to use a high quality Delco and the correct block bracket than worry about heat. They all get hot, in fact very hot. And thats what I personally use and sometimes sell...

Last edited by Ironcross; 11-24-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by tomard
So, do you have one on your vette?
No -I just use a Delco solenoid.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
dave_roads
Advanced

i bought a header wrap kit from jegs and applied it to both of the headers from where they 90 deg. back toword the collector and then about 8" past the exhaust flange. seems to work for me. can drive around for quite a while and reach under there and grab the collector by the starter, warm but not untouchable.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 AM
tomard
Racer

Default What actually IS heat soak?

Can someone explain what heat soak really is/does?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i went w/a stainless heatshield i bought from summit 17yrs ago and haven't had 1 episode of heatsoak since, prior to that everytime i stopped it wouldn't start.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:17 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

When some solenoids get hot they wont work.I think there are different reasons as to why the solenoid wont move the piston inside.I have seen cheap solenoids with a plastic liner that actually melts.I wonder sometimes if the ID of the solenoid is not large enough and the piston grows enough to stick.I cant imagin that the heat would in some way cause the current not to flow through the solenoid winding and then reconnect when it cools down.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by rosslato
i went w/a stainless heatshield i bought from summit 17yrs ago and haven't had 1 episode of heatsoak since, prior to that everytime i stopped it wouldn't start.
Thats a nice one.That one is large enough it cant be pushed in and get against the pos. term on the solenoid.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 AM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a period of No-starts hot during the summer a few years ago. I used a Moroso shield and installed a new Delco solenoid. Problem solved. I don't know if the solenoid was the problem or the heat shield.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know if the majority of fellow members are using heat shields on their starters, and if so, what kind? I see the "hard" ones that bolt to starter and the "blanket" types that wrap around and velcro/tie ......
heat soak normally occurs when headers are put on a car, or on big block cars in some cases. the heat from the headers causes the solenoid to burn up over time. initially after it cools the car will start but eventually it will burn up the starter.

I had this problem and bought the fixed stainless shield with ceramic insrt and the blanket both. I tried the blanket first because it was easiest to put on, and havent had a problem since, even after long runs. the fixed one requires you to bold the sheild to the starter itself and if you are replacing a failed started is easy to install, the blanket can be put on the starter without removing it from the car. the blanket is not as "clean" looking if you care about that sort of thing, but the blanket functions just fine. I got both of mine from Jegs made buy moroso, but ther ar multiple vendors

hope this helps

tim
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

My 78 Chevy truck used to get so hot it wouldnt start after it had been running an hour or so. Had to wait for it to cool down, then it would crank right up. I have Hedman headers on it and put a heat shield from Summit on and havent had a problem in the last 4 years. Bolt on type. Going to order one for my 78 vette when I order a new set of headers.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
1981Z06Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM lists a lighter solenoid spring (or used to, I haven't bought one in years) that helps the hot start situation a lot. I used to have issues with my '57 Belair, and this pretty much cured it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

A poor excuse for lack of a good charging and cranking system. Well e3xactly, a condition that occurs when running off battery and not recharging it adequately then stopping for any reason and having difficulty restarting the car when hot. The starter gets blamed for the inability to crank over very fast. That is what most of the complaints are about.. But with a good charging system to keep the battery fully charged cures the problem. Low voltage just kills starters as they burn up from the inside, not from engine heat. Continued external heat does over time sometimes burn the switches bakelite end where the wires attach.

The use of strong batteries is apparent when many cars after a short period of time have the ability to have recovered enough voltage to restart the car. This is where the charging system is important to keep the battery with a full charge at all times. The use of powerful electronics dont help older Vettes with a stock 37 amp alternator either. But the starter gets blamed again, 'heat soak' . That is not correct, hell everything gets hot including the drivers cockpit not only the starter. So theres your "heat soak"
Old 11-26-2007, 12:20 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a pic of the factory solenoid heat shield on a 75

Get notified of new replies

To Heat shield OR not for Delco Starter???

Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 AM
69elky
Racer

Default Heat shields

As most other Corvette owners I have had the same problem,I only have it in the summer months.This last summer I installed the heat blanket that Mid America sells and all I can say is I did not have the no start problem since and I still have the original starter.I have also installed a starter by pass switch on my firewall originally for tune up time.I am an original owner of a 79 L 82 4 speed car with headers and I installed this back when new,I use them in all my cars for a convenience to me to be able to turn over the engine from the outside of the car while tuning etc.But as a by product of the convenience to me it also gets me going when starter causes me the trouble of a no start condition in the summer months.I have it placed at the right side firewall next to the hood factory alarm switch which is reachable from the cars left side and has always started the car when I had this condition.Just a suggestion.Later Geno

Last edited by 69elky; 11-26-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:19 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69elky
As most other Corvette owners I have had the same problem,I only have it in the summer months.This last summer I installed the heat blanket that Mid America sells and all I can say is I did not have the no start problem since and I still have the original starter.I have also installed a starter by pass switch on my firewall originally for tune up time.I am an original owner of a 79 L 82 4 speed car with headers and I installed this back when new,I use them in all my cars for a convenience to me to be able to turn over the engine from the outside of the car while tuning etc.But as a by product of the convenience to me it also gets me going when starter causes me the trouble of a no start condition in the summer months.I have it placed at the right side firewall next to the hood factory alarm switch which is reachable from the cars left side and has always started the car when I had this condition.Just a suggestion.Later Geno
When you say starter bypass Im guessing you mean an ignition switch bypass-you have just installed a remote starter switch.Correct? So if you installed a switch that just bridges the pos. term. on the starter to the S term. and this makes the car start when the ignition switch wont then thats meaning a more direct connection is somehow firing the solenoid...Hmmmm.Does that mean then that heat soak makes the windings in the solenoid have a higher resistance or the connection under the bakalite cap harder to make?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1981Z06Vette
GM lists a lighter solenoid spring (or used to, I haven't bought one in years) that helps the hot start situation a lot. I used to have issues with my '57 Belair, and this pretty much cured it.
Thats interesting that the spring helped.I seemed to have remembered the spring difference and started checking through some old stock and found what I think is the spring your talking about-its SHORTER.Its part#1978281 and it started with the 82 vette.Wonder if that was GMs fix?The spring is shorter and appears black as though its heat treating is different.

Quick Reply: Heat shield OR not for Delco Starter???