C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for new a Crate Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 AM
c3corvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for new a Crate Engine

Hello, I have a 1980 with the 305 (LG4). Everything on this car is stock. I would like to pull the engine out and get more power for my shark. I'm leaning towards installing a brand new 350 crate engine rather than rebuilding the 305. I think for the amount of time and effort I would be putting into rebuilding the stock 305, it would be better worth it to just install a 350.

I do live in California where the car gets registered every other year, and where every other year I have to pass the smog test. The car is equipped with the stock computer or ECM.

What would be the best 350 crate engine for my car, that would also accept the installations of ALL the original accessories that were on my 305. Would I have to change the computer or anything else. I need the car to pass smog. Is this a straight forward swap or should I modify the 305?

Thank you in advance...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:28 AM
murraybs
Racer

I did a L03 -> L05 swap in my F-Body and the computer wasn't happy, but it ran.

The intake and such should bolt right up, but you should think about sticking a chip in that computer or scrapping the existing FI for something that originally came from a 350.

If you can find a donor F-Body with a 350 and TPI and the wiring/ECM, I'd do that in your case, or if you want to go TBI, find a truck with a 350TBI.

You could probably even go with a Holley ProJection rig and use their proprietary computer if you want to have an all aftermarket setup (costs $$ though)

If you need a hand tracking down 305 to 350 stuff, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I see you're in Fallbrook, hope everything's ok for you after the fire(s).
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 AM
c3corvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by murraybs
I did a L03 -> L05 swap in my F-Body and the computer wasn't happy, but it ran.

The intake and such should bolt right up, but you should think about sticking a chip in that computer or scrapping the existing FI for something that originally came from a 350.

If you can find a donor F-Body with a 350 and TPI and the wiring/ECM, I'd do that in your case, or if you want to go TBI, find a truck with a 350TBI.

You could probably even go with a Holley ProJection rig and use their proprietary computer if you want to have an all aftermarket setup (costs $$ though)

If you need a hand tracking down 305 to 350 stuff, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I see you're in Fallbrook, hope everything's ok for you after the fire(s).
Thank you for your concern with the fire situation we had down here. Thank God we're okay, but I just heard the news that Malibu is on fire again!

As for the engine, I would like to drop a crate 350, but then what about swapping all the other parts that are currently part of my 305? Another concern is the computer... would it just go from the 305 to a new 350, and then would I have any problems passing smog?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...the one crate motor I put in my '75 three years ago was that 1973-1985 Direct Replacement 260hp 4 bolt main motor for $1287. Has a 5yr/50,000mi warranty and I have put 20,000 trouble free miles on it. Absolutely everything from the water pump, fuel pump, flywheel, alternator, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold & distibutor was a perfect bolt up. Sun is a shining and I'm ready to go "cruisin"...
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
jbowles49
Instructor

Default visual inspection

Does your state have a visual inspection as part of the smog test? If so be aware that vortech heads have no heat riser provisions. Sometimes it seems more trouble ($) than its worth fighting smog police. You might consider getting some other car for go fast purposes (late model z28 etc.)
and just keep your vette for a nice cruiser. It's easy to be into an hot rod
project way more money than you thought and then not be able to satisfy the smog laws.
Good luck
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

All new GM long block 350/250 HP $1695.95 NAL-10067353
www.summitracing.com. you may be able to find it cheaper
somewhere else.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
c3corvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by jbowles49
Does your state have a visual inspection as part of the smog test? If so be aware that vortech heads have no heat riser provisions. Sometimes it seems more trouble ($) than its worth fighting smog police. You might consider getting some other car for go fast purposes (late model z28 etc.)
and just keep your vette for a nice cruiser. It's easy to be into an hot rod
project way more money than you thought and then not be able to satisfy the smog laws.
Good luck
Yes, they do perform a visual also.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
2Much Trouble
Intermediate

Default Engine

If I had to do it all over again. I would go with an LS1, you can get them pretty cheap now, and you can mod the hell out of them and still maintain emmision standards. I know a few guys that might be able to hook you up with a new or decent used LS1. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for new a Crate Engine

Quick Reply: Looking for new a Crate Engine