C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 to 69 frame extension/rad cradle questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Andy&Kelly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 to 69 frame extension/rad cradle questions

Im currently restoring a 68 and need to know some of the differances from 68 to 69 in the frame extensions, and rad cradle. Im hunting down everything needed for the front clip (car came less front clip and all front clip accessorys), and need to know what is the differances from 68 to 69 in the rad cradles for a 327. I see a ton of rad cradles and frame horn/extensions for 69 up, but nothing in the 68s. Can I use the 69 stuff without problems on a 68 frame?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Andy,
You're right in thinking that 68's have many 1 year only parts. You need to give more information about what you're trying to accomplish.... are you looking for parts that will fit and work or are you looking for what's CORRECT for a particular 68?
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Andy&Kelly
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Alan

Right now i have no frame extensions or rad cradle, im curious if i can use 69 parts on the 68 frame? I would like to keep it all 68, but it seems its hard to find those parts used. Also, when it comes to rad cradle size and rads there seems to be a few differant types for small blocks. Im not looking to be 100% original, but would like to have a nice juicy rad for extra cooling, would a 68 rad cradle handle updated rads?

Thanks again
Andy
Old 12-04-2007, 12:27 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy&Kelly

Right now i have no frame extensions or rad cradle, im curious if i can use 69 parts on the 68 frame? I would like to keep it all 68, but it seems its hard to find those parts used. Also, when it comes to rad cradle size and rads there seems to be a few differant types for small blocks. Im not looking to be 100% original, but would like to have a nice juicy rad for extra cooling, would a 68 rad cradle handle updated rads?

Thanks again
Andy

The 68 front frame and horns are the same as midyears and use a different radiator support than 69 up. You would be better off using a 67 support than a 69.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Andy&Kelly
Intermediate

Thanks guys, will look into mid year parts too.

Andy
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy&Kelly

Thanks again
Andy
How did you loose the frame horns? If you use 69 horns, 69-72 parts will work. If you use 68 horns, the radiator support is like the 65-67. You can use the support for a 427 car and get the larger radiator, if you want to stay with stock stuff. The 68 type fiberglass shroud will work with this setup. If you are not original minded, the support can be modified for most any radiator that you would want, by changing the mounts.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 to 69 frame extension/rad cradle questions

Quick Reply: 68 to 69 frame extension/rad cradle questions