C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Carb Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley Carb Question...

I've got a Holley 600 CFM Double Pumper #0-4776.
When I adjust the idle speed screw 1 turn and a half from having the primary plates seated in the bores, the transfer slots are just exposed 0,020" under the plates. This make them look like a "square". It is just what is said in most manuals and forums, so I assume it to be correct.

Things are a little different on the secondary side :
If a adjust the secondary idle screw ( under the carb ) about 1 turn in from having the secondary plates seated in the bores ( Holley recommandation for initial adjustement of secondary butterflys ), the transfer slots on the secondaries are still far away over the plates. In that position, the secondary transfer slots are absolutely invisible from under the carb. It would need 3 or 4 more screw turns just to see them.

I would like to know if it is normal or not and how to correct it if necessary...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

normal
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Short answer, but it is just what I wanted to ear / read.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

That's correct. On a Holley, the secondary transfer slots are higher in the bores than the primary slots, so they cannot be set to .020". A good initial starting point to use is to set the primary side to .020" and then look up through the bottom of the carb with the carb held up against a light: Adjust the secondary side so that you get the same "light gap" around the throttle blades as the primary side. This way, you will obtain equal airflow at idle through all 4 corners of the carb. On most mild engines, this initial setting will give you an idle speed that is just a tad high - adjust primary and secondary idle speeds equally from this point to obtain the desired idle speed.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much for your answer, Lars

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Carb Question...

Quick Reply: Holley Carb Question...