C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My - supposed to be- hydrolic lifters act like solids! .. Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default My - supposed to be- hydrolic lifters act like solids! .. Am I missing something?

I am in the middle of replacing all the valve spring retainers in my LS5 454 engine that has a 268H cam which is supposed to be a hydrolic, but I've noticed that the lifter cannot be compressed when I push the pushrod! its acting as a solid! .. even if I tighten the rocker I've also noticed that the valve will start to open instead of the lifter is collapsing! .. whats wrong here??

The engine has been off since maybe 2 months now, so is there a chance that the lifters are out of oil and they are all collapsed already? .. is there a chance that I have a stuck lifters? but how come all of my lifters are stuck?

How can I know for sure that I have a healthy hydrolic lifters without removing the intake?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default My .02

If they're full of oil then they may not collapse right away. Tighten one to where it's half or 3/4 turns after zero lash and come back in a bit, I'll bet it will be loose. They tell you not to soak new H. lifters in oil for this reason. Try that and let us know.

Also, if the lifter is all the way collapsed then you should be able to tell by looking into the lifter valley using a flashlight, the top plunger of the lifter should be near the top when you first encounter extra tension on the pushrod (from spinning it)from the lifter spring.

Last edited by BB72; 12-24-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BB72
They tell you not to soak new H. lifters in oil for this reason.

If they are oil filled on startup would they hurt anything? I've even read that it's suggested to soak them in oil to get all the air out of them for startup. I just want to know what's better for when I start my roller 400. I don't want to harm anything by filling the lifters.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
If they are oil filled on startup would they hurt anything? I've even read that it's suggested to soak them in oil to get all the air out of them for startup. I just want to know what's better for when I start my roller 400. I don't want to harm anything by filling the lifters.
The directions I've heard was set them up dry, well... lubed for up down travel anyways, and prime the engine good before statup.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BB72
If they're full of oil then they may not collapse right away. Tighten one to where it's half or 3/4 turns after zero lash and come back in a bit, I'll bet it will be loose. They tell you not to soak new H. lifters in oil for this reason. Try that and let us know.

Also, if the lifter is all the way collapsed then you should be able to tell by looking into the lifter valley using a flashlight, the top plunger of the lifter should be near the top when you first encounter extra tension on the pushrod (from spinning it)from the lifter spring.
You are right, I tightened one rocker 1/2 turn and came back after 1 hour where I was able to twist the pushrod very easily, so they are hydrolic lifters in there. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HamadUP
You are right, I tightened one rocker 1/2 turn and came back after 1 hour where I was able to twist the pushrod very easily, so they are hydrolic lifters in there. Thanks!
Good...that was easy....

Get notified of new replies

To My - supposed to be- hydrolic lifters act like solids! .. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: My - supposed to be- hydrolic lifters act like solids! .. Am I missing something?