C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Parts for 2004R Transmission. ?'s, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rebuild Parts for 2004R Transmission. ?'s, opinions

O.K.
I've finially located a 2004r tans from an '88 Caprice, code on the bellhousing appears to be 408 G.
I've done some resurch and have several options as to what to purchase, and a wide range of prices. This tranny will be powered by a 383, estimated HP 450. What are your suggestions? Is there anything else you would suggest?

Master Rebuild Kits:

2004R Raybestos Stage 1 Transmission Rebuild Kit
Oregon Performance $275.00

2004R Transmission Master Rebuild kit
Grand National
Oregon Performance $119.00

200R4 Rewbuild Kit
Performance Drive Train $ 165.00

Shift Kit / Reprogramming Kit

Transgo 2004R HD2 Shift Kit, Grand Nantional, Monte.
Oregon Performance $89.99

Servo

2004R Superior Super Servo, Grand Nat, Monte
Superior Survo $123.00

Wide Red Egal Band (I've read here that they are better than Kavlar??)
Oregon performance $29.00

13 Vane Pump
NTP-K518191
Oregon Performance $36.23

Lock-up Solenoid
Oregon performance $20.50

TV Cable/Kick down Detent
Oregon performance $17.95

Shifter Conversion kitShift Works $94.50

Torrington Bearing Kit
Oregon performance $21.50

If anyone can think of anything that I have missed, with the exception of a good Rebuild video/DVD and manuel, please feel free to comment. I plan to order these parts for my next trip in.

Thanks Guys
Clyde

Last edited by cboyd; 01-04-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

That is a casting number, nearly meaningless...the tag you need is on the tail housing on a pad, on the pass side, I think....should be aluminum with red? paint.....Mine says CTF which is the 3 letter code telling the way it was built....can't say what it came out of though....

IMO get your parts from a local dealer, if not, go ebay....but you need a converter and should have a fresh front pump with ten vanes or 13 vanes in it... shipping can eat up any ebay savings...pumps and converters are heavy....

second off, rebuilt it with a TRANS GO shift kit, accept NO OTHER>>>>>
Old 01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by mrvette
That is a casting number, nearly meaningless...the tag you need is on the tail housing on a pad, on the pass side, I think....should be aluminum with red? paint.....Mine says CTF which is the 3 letter code telling the way it was built....can't say what it came out of though....

IMO get your parts from a local dealer, if not, go ebay....but you need a converter and should have a fresh front pump with ten vanes or 13 vanes in it... shipping can eat up any ebay savings...pumps and converters are heavy....

second off, rebuilt it with a TRANS GO shift kit, accept NO OTHER>>>>>
Thanks, I'll go out now and check for more ID's. Getting parts locally has proven some what difficult, but I will checke it fruther. The converter I will diffently pick up here, thinking maybe 2300 stall.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Your pump there listed for 36.xx, is not what they go for....try 136 and you are in more of the ballpark....I used the 160 bux higher perf parts kit....

did not mess with the servo...Trans Go takes care of that with their modifications....

buy the ATSG service guide....READ IT and NOTE the THREE lip seals of two differant types....compare them closely when you get the kit, and pay attention to that.....I goofed there, but caught it in time....

cost me 3 hours time....being amateur at this.....

but it's a simple tranny any probelems contact me or 6' Danny, we know the drill pretty good....
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
cboyd
Racer

Your pump there listed for 36.xx, is not what they go for....try 136 and you are in more of the ballpark....I used the 160 bux higher perf parts kit....

did not mess with the servo...Trans Go takes care of that with their modifications....

buy the ATSG service guide....READ IT and NOTE the THREE lip seals of two differant types....compare them closely when you get the kit, and pay attention to that.....I goofed there, but caught it in time....

cost me 3 hours time....being amateur at this.....

but it's a simple tranny any probelems contact me or 6' Danny, we know the drill pretty good....
I appreciate the input, and I just checked e bay again, did a search for "13 vane pump" and again came up with a price of $39.xx. Is this just poor quality or am I missing something.

Clyde
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cboyd
I appreciate the input, and I just checked e bay again, did a search for "13 vane pump" and again came up with a price of $39.xx. Is this just poor quality or am I missing something.

Clyde
Damnit man, just damnit.....I dunno....all I know is I paid some 130 bux for MY ten vane pump.....I question the price, or the origin....lots of bogus parts these days not worth a flip.....wear out quickly, don't fit the install.....coming out of CHINA....some of them are decent copies, but still junk and you dunno till too late....

IF you can return it, and the guy has a 99+ approval rating, maybe I got shafted...but I doubt it....that's a carefully made machined part, close tolerances two halves to it, and so when you take the old one outta there, maybe just maybe you don't need change it out....

MY rear housing was all scoured up inside, gouges outta the aluminum, and so you need peel your apart, count the vanes in the pump...need ten at a miniumum....7 were in mine, and like I said all tore up....

best of luck, maybe you can be luckier....but not untill you get that pump off there and look....
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
cboyd
Racer

Damnit man, just damnit.....I dunno....all I know is I paid some 130 bux for MY ten vane pump.....I question the price, or the origin....lots of bogus parts these days not worth a flip.....wear out quickly, don't fit the install.....coming out of CHINA....some of them are decent copies, but still junk and you dunno till too late....

IF you can return it, and the guy has a 99+ approval rating, maybe I got shafted...but I doubt it....that's a carefully made machined part, close tolerances two halves to it, and so when you take the old one outta there, maybe just maybe you don't need change it out....

MY rear housing was all scoured up inside, gouges outta the aluminum, and so you need peel your apart, count the vanes in the pump...need ten at a miniumum....7 were in mine, and like I said all tore up....

best of luck, maybe you can be luckier....but not untill you get that pump off there and look....
mrvette, I know how you feel. I may have mis led you, untintentially. The "13 vane pump" as advertized by Oregon Performance, is a 13 vane conversion kit, sorry for my error, but it is this kind of information sharing that keeps us from being miss led. Thanks for you persistance in keeping me straight.

Clyde
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be carefull the out side of the direct clutch housing needs to be perfectly flat. If you put a wide band on a used housing it wont hold. You can get a reman. housing that has been machined on the outside and new bushings installed. Get a manual and video it's not a difficult trans to rebuild.
Here are some other resources

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Default.asp

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...T&Store_Code=2
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
Just be carefull the out side of the direct clutch housing needs to be perfectly flat. If you put a wide band on a used housing it wont hold. You can get a reman. housing that has been machined on the outside and new bushings installed. Get a manual and video it's not a difficult trans to rebuild.
Here are some other resources

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Default.asp

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...T&Store_Code=2
Yes, what Art said, and also, I never did any auto tranny work untill my 700 ate the 3/4 clutch pack, and I was bux lo at the time, so I went to a locak tranny supply shop....and bought the parts there, fixed it, lasted another 3-4 years or so, went out again....ditched the 700, built this 200 4r, in the meantime I completely rebuilt my 999 Torqueflight in the work truck...easy job...simpler than the 200 actually, and rebuilt a Mutsobitchy FWD tranny which worked for a while....dunno the end result as the car was sold.....

all the while my tranny supplier was helpful both in person and on the phone....run by an old guy who knows trannies well....

prices seem to be competititve with the net too....

and they are all first/top line american parts....Alto, some others too...

Trans Go was in stock too....
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
cboyd
Racer

Thanks Guys.
I guess the best thing to do is get parts I know I'll need like the video/ manuel, rebuild kit, lock-up solenoid, shift kit etc,tear down my old one, check the condition and see what else I need from there.

Clyde
Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

CB, you have a very good plan goin gthere, follow it. That guy at Oregon is straight up, I bought most of my parts there. Get the video, its priceless if you have never done this before. Once you get the thing apart and start measureing everything you may find the planetary gearsets worn a bit, maybe not out, but worn. I rebuilt the ones I could with new bushings I got from another vendor (I'll look him up for you) and had to replace 1 that isn't rebuildable.
Here are a couple links to get you some of the tough to find items.
Add a bushing kit to your list, I don't think they come with the Master kit, but they might.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...General-Motors
http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...4RCATALOG.html
Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
CB, you have a very good plan goin gthere, follow it. That guy at Oregon is straight up, I bought most of my parts there. Get the video, its priceless if you have never done this before. Once you get the thing apart and start measureing everything you may find the planetary gearsets worn a bit, maybe not out, but worn. I rebuilt the ones I could with new bushings I got from another vendor (I'll look him up for you) and had to replace 1 that isn't rebuildable.
Here are a couple links to get you some of the tough to find items.
Add a bushing kit to your list, I don't think they come with the Master kit, but they might.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...General-Motors
http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...4RCATALOG.html
Thanks sixfooter, I have never rebuilt one of these before, but I can't see it being all that difficult.
Which rebuild kit would you recomend?

Clyde
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
tomard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing same as you, rebuilding a 4BQ GN core! Lots of help from Sixfooter, watched the video a half dozen times, FOLLOW it AND also have a book for reference. I even went as far as putting a little TV & VCR out in garage so I could follow it and go back if I had to. Maybe a little extreme but it worked for me .... so far (Disassembly is done).

If you happen to get ahold of anyone at OPT, let me know, as I have not been able to!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tomard
I am doing same as you, rebuilding a 4BQ GN core! Lots of help from Sixfooter, watched the video a half dozen times, FOLLOW it AND also have a book for reference. I even went as far as putting a little TV & VCR out in garage so I could follow it and go back if I had to. Maybe a little extreme but it worked for me .... so far (Disassembly is done).

If you happen to get ahold of anyone at OPT, let me know, as I have not been able to!

Set you up a couple saw horses with a 4x8x3/4 ply on it for a table, all nice and clean, you can then lay out the parts in a logical order the way they came outta the case, it gets heavy, use a coffee can for tail shaft support on the floor so you can measure/feel end plays...then hold it upright with wire through the ears into bolts on the bench...something like that....I used the engine hoist....

then with them all in front of you in logical sequence and your manual/video, you are allmost grenade proof....

you do need some C clamps 6" Lowes Despot, and a good set of reversible angle/straight tipped snap ring pliars....some screwdrivers also...

the gut work is just that....but the fun is in the Trans Go kit, they esplain it pretty good, and so that's the hotrod item....

Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any others ??

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild Parts for 2004R Transmission. ?'s, opinions

Quick Reply: Rebuild Parts for 2004R Transmission. ?'s, opinions