C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a C3

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM
chucktn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering a C3

Need to trailer my C3 and was wondering if someone could tell me the best tie down locations on the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

when I brought mine home on the trailer I did a 4 point tiedown off the frame under the doors. There were some holes in the bottom of the frame that are slotted, I slid the hook of the chains into these and then chained to trailer. Had to chain to the front and rear of the trailer otherwise the chain was rubbing on the tires.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am by far no expert but both times I have had to trailer mine the guys have always said use a four point tie down and never strap it from the frame. Use over the axles or sway bar or something like that but don't strap down the frame b/c this doesn't allow the springs and shocks to work during the ride which can cause damage or too much vibration.... hope that makes sense... sounds right to me....

HTH,

Sully
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

I use straps around the lower front A arms and around the half shafts against the diff by crossing them. Puts a bit of a load on the diff bearing but not more than they get when driving. I've been told the best way to tie a car down is with wheel straps. I don't like to see the car bouncing around on the trailer.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
chucktn
Advanced

Default Traikering

L82 if I understand you correctly, you ran your hooks into the slots on the frame and then ran your chains between the tires to the front and rear of the trailer and then cinched it down from there. Is that correct?

The front I can go around the A-arms but was really concerned about the back with the leaf springs and shorty axles.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Picked up my first vette on Saturday and trailered it home. Did a lot of research before hand. You DON'T want to tie to any of the suspension parts as the movement can cause damage. The frame is the best way.

She hauled as smooth as silk, especially over bumps.

This site was very helpful to include the T-hooks info. I got 4 but only used 2 on the front.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/d...r3.html#Buying

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BTAL; 01-15-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

For the front I've used the A-arms and on the rear I use the differential cross-member and cross the straps.
And what good is a post w/out pics??

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BTAL
Picked up my first vette on Saturday and trailered it home. Did a lot of research before hand. You DON'T want to tie to any of the suspension parts as the movement can cause damage. The frame is the best way.

She hauled as smooth as silk, especially over bumps.

This site was very helpful to include the T-hooks info. I got 4 but only used 2 on the front.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/d...r3.html#Buying

Hope this helps.
This post explains the best way to tiedown a C3. The t-hook slots were installed by GM for a reason. I have towed my 71 to Ohio and back to Florida twice already using the factory slots with no problems. I load the car with the front wheels just forward of the inner fenderwell. I carry a tool cart and some other stuff in the front of the trailer so I set my tongue weight to 650 pounds. The front tiedowns are so far forward in my trailer (24') that I had to install two extra floor tiedowns about where the front bumper sits to keep the straps from hitting the front air dam. I also removed the short straps from the ratcheting end and attached the ratchets directly to the trailer tiedowns. I didn't really need to but I also installed two additional tiedown hooks in the rear of the trailer right behind where the beaver tail begins. I now strap the rear straight back and also a X pattern. Works very well. The important thing is to get the car positioned correctly. If you have ever had too much tail end weight and have the trailer try to wag the truck at 70MPH it will get your attention. Wish I had pictures but I don't.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

With the front spoiler I had to loop just inside of the front tire to avoid the chains rubbing on the suspension, same on the back. I was leery of tieing to anything that wasnt solid on the car, (halfshafts, A arms). If it had been a solid axle car it wouldnt have bothered me to tie to it. I had to position the car on the trailer in just the right place for the chains and straps to connect without rubbing. The trailer has springs so I wasnt worried about the car itself. I drug it over 300 miles of bouncy backwoods road and interstate under repair with no problems and zero damage.

I would post pics but Uncle Sam has blocked photobucket, if I can find another site I will post to there.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Red 71
This post explains the best way to tiedown a C3. The t-hook slots were installed by GM for a reason. I have towed my 71 to Ohio and back to Florida twice already using the factory slots with no problems. I load the car with the front wheels just forward of the inner fenderwell. I carry a tool cart and some other stuff in the front of the trailer so I set my tongue weight to 650 pounds. The front tiedowns are so far forward in my trailer (24') that I had to install two extra floor tiedowns about where the front bumper sits to keep the straps from hitting the front air dam. I also removed the short straps from the ratcheting end and attached the ratchets directly to the trailer tiedowns. I didn't really need to but I also installed two additional tiedown hooks in the rear of the trailer right behind where the beaver tail begins. I now strap the rear straight back and also a X pattern. Works very well. The important thing is to get the car positioned correctly. If you have ever had too much tail end weight and have the trailer try to wag the truck at 70MPH it will get your attention. Wish I had pictures but I don't.
you beat me to it and explained it so much better!!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

There's a lot of good info provided above regarding tying down your Corvette. Here's one other little tip that can help, especially for lowered cars. Place a couple of 2X10's about 24" long on the floor where the front tires will sit. It's amazing what a difference 1 & 3/4 inches can make when it comes to getting under the car and providing clearance for front spoilers.

I haul my C2, C3, C4, C5 and my son's C6 in this trailer and use the frame tie down points on each one. The "J" hooks make this very easy. I also carry my Miata auto-crosser in the trailer and with the factory provided tie downs loops, it's the easiest one of all to strap down. The 2X10's however are used for each of them.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 01-15-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tshort
That Jim next to you in the light blue C2? love that car.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The 2X10's however are used for each of them.

Good luck... GUSTO
2 X 10 for increased ground clearance and crossbracing with straps! Very smart!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

always try and cross. I learned that from loading M1 tanks onto rail cars!!!
the 2x10s are a good idea too for those with smaller trailers, will help your door clear the obnoxious occasional fender when you go to get out.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i did what you guys did, but i also added those straps that go over the wheels for good measure, i was going all the way from south Carolina to Michigan
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
That Jim next to you in the light blue C2? love that car.
Yep, that's Jim, me, and the rest of the Texas crew at the Corvette Forum Cruise-In.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tshort
Yep, that's Jim, me, and the rest of the Texas crew at the Corvette Forum Cruise-In.
I have got to move to texas ...and buy a pickup
Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

In front, I hook up my lower a-arms and in the rear, I hook the tie downs to slots in the frame (just before the gas-tank crossmember)

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering a C3

Quick Reply: Trailering a C3