C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 4-speed trans: rear output bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '76 4-speed trans: rear output bearing replacement?

I've just removed the driveshaft from my chassis (body off) and noticed some wobble in the output shaft of the gearbox. Is there a bearing in there that I can replace? I guess some play is inevitable but it feels too much to me. The oil seal isn't leaking though.

(Is there a spec for the wobble allowable on the output shaft?)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Not sure if you have the Warner Super T-10 in your year, but that's what I have so this information may or may not apply.

The driveshaft yoke to rear tranny housing has a bushing surface. You can replace the bushing when you rebuild the transmission, but I can't think of any easy way to remove that thing while in the car.

If you go the rebuild route, be careful what kit you buy, they are definitely not created equal and that bushing may or may not be in all of the kits. I got mine from http://www.5speeds.com/kit.htm and was extremely satisfied with it's completeness and the quality of the parts.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Thanks SLVRSHRK. I'll go and double-check which transmission I have, but I think it is the Borg-Warner Super T-10.

I don't really want to rebuild the whole transmission since I think it's in pretty good condition, but I've got the body off the chassis at the moment so it might be easy to replace the output bearing on its own.

I'll try some Googling but would appreciate any other advice people could give.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the shaft is moving with the yoke out then I would say there is an issue inside and time for a rebuild. Paying close attention to the bearings and also the mid plate that the bearing mounts in.

If you have movement with the yoke installed then the yoke just might be bad.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BenUK
I've just removed the driveshaft from my chassis (body off) and noticed some wobble in the output shaft of the gearbox. Is there a bearing in there that I can replace? I guess some play is inevitable but it feels too much to me. The oil seal isn't leaking though.

(Is there a spec for the wobble allowable on the output shaft?)

There will be some play with drive shaft out since the yolk supports the end of the output shaft. The other end is supported by needle bearings on the input shaft. Roughly the middle is supported by the bearing in question and they usually don't go bad nearly as often as the input shaft bearing. You would have had a noise in 1 thru 3rd gear if the bearing was bad. A rough sounding noise caused by the hard metal bearing surface failing and spalding. Your trans. oil would reveal metal flakes if this was the case. If anything, the tail shaft bushing may need replacement but there is some play even with a new bushing, how much I have no spec. for. I'd approximate it to be around 1/16"(1.5mm). I've seen the input shaft needle bearings fail and ruin the end of the output shaft. This will create slop too. If it was mine, and has not been freshened up, I'd pull it apart and replace snycro rings, bearings, seals and gaskets for peace of mind. They're not difficult to work on with instructions. You'll need snap ring pliers, brass drift and some patience. A machine shop can press off the front rear bearings or you can do it other ways that are less desirable (driving chisels between bearing & shaft).
Jim
Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Wow - thanks for those responses. They're very helpful.

I haven't tried removing the yoke to see whether the play is in the shaft or the yoke, but I'll try this when I've got the engine and transmission on a stand. If an acceptable end float could be as much as 1.5mm then I don't think I have a problem. When I drain the oil I'll check for metal particles, and then reconsider the situation. It sounds like an end bearing isn't a simple thing to fix and I don't think I've got the kahunas for a full gearbox rebuild just yet.

and thanks again.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

1.5mm slop is way too much...either because of a bad U-joint or because of the tranny output bushing/bearing. You need to figure out why before it throws craps. Once you find out why, it might not need to be worked on immediately....but that would be an informed 'choice', not 'hope-and-a-prayer'.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BenUK
Wow - thanks for those responses. They're very helpful.

I haven't tried removing the yoke to see whether the play is in the shaft or the yoke, but I'll try this when I've got the engine and transmission on a stand. If an acceptable end float could be as much as 1.5mm then I don't think I have a problem. When I drain the oil I'll check for metal particles, and then reconsider the situation. It sounds like an end bearing isn't a simple thing to fix and I don't think I've got the kahunas for a full gearbox rebuild just yet.

and thanks again.

BenUK,
I'm sorry I can't find the specs on acceptable play. I called TCI Transmissions Tech Line 888-776-9824 and asked them about the end play and he said 1/16" was "about right". I built transmissions for a living many years ago and I offer that as a qualifier for my opinion. I'd do as 7T1vette suggests though and seek out more information/opinions before making a decision. Good luck
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To '76 4-speed trans: rear output bearing replacement?

Quick Reply: '76 4-speed trans: rear output bearing replacement?