C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Dis-Abling Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM
silverta16
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alarm Dis-Abling Questions

I have an 80 vette. How can I safely disarm the factory alarm? Just bought the car, drove it up town to license it. Locked the door with the power locks. Came out got in it, Could hear a ticking noise from the console area. No horn blowing or lights flashing etc. After a few moments it quit, and I noticed it blew the CTSY fuse. That made the dome lights and interior lights quit working. Got it home, changed the fuse, that fixed the lights. Later when I drove it again, it did the same thing After locking it. Please help. Are these year vetts prone to alarm/doorlock problems? Is there a way to safely disarm the system. I was looking in the factory assembly manual at an anti theft flasher and relay, what do they control? Thanks .
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the relay and flasher are in the rear compartment. if you take the relay out it should open the circuit and the alarm shouldn't kick on
Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Something is wrong. The alarm is on it's own fuse isn't it? I had the alarm go off on mine many years ago but if my memory is right, pulling the fuse stopped the alarm but nothing else.

Might just be "old-timers" setting in here but it seems to me I have a fuse in the ash tray to remind me of this.

-Mark.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

When you put the key in the drivers door and unlock it with the key that should disarm it but it sounds like you have some problems with yours.

If you lock the doors from a passanger door or just push the plungers in the alarm will not arm. It only arms from Drivers door lock switch.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Try disconnecting the flasher and/or relay. They can be found in the center consol of the 80 Vette. Remove the drivers side panel of the center consol to view them next to the shifter. The flasher looks like a typical turn signal flasher if memory serves me correct. I removed mine 23 years ago. It was causing me problems even back then. There is an anti tamper switch attached to the drivers door lock cylinder. It has a plunger switch attached to the side of the body of the lock cylinder. The idea was to trigger the alarm if someone tampers with the cylinder. The switch bracket tends to loosen over time and back off, setting off the alarm. I got fed up having to constantly take the door panel off and push it back on.

Get notified of new replies

To Alarm Dis-Abling Questions

Quick Reply: Alarm Dis-Abling Questions