C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air Condenser / Dryer Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 05:55 PM
Kev73
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Vintage Air Condenser / Dryer Question

It's been a long day in the garage so hopefully I'm just missing something obvious. It looks like the hard lines will not line up correctly with the dryer and condenser.

This top line has two issues. First is that it won't reach the condenser as it hits the side. 2nd it won't fight in between the condenser brace and hook up. Can I slightly massage this line so that it fits or do i risk cracking it?

Keep in mind the bottom lines are just sitting there and the dryer isn't t the correct height but does this look correct? I will have to angle the dryer at like 15 degrees for both connections to barely line.

Everything else on the install has been pretty straight forward and this is the first problem I've encountered. Looking for some input. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:50 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,340 Posts

None of the repro lines I've gotten (full brakes, transmission to cooler, trans modulator to manifold vacuum, fuel pump to carb) have fit the way the factory lines did. They all required bend adjustments and alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Kev73 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes. You need a 'decent' tube bender for the diameter lines you have. I would not recommend that you try to bend them by 'hand'. If you kink a line, it's DONE.

P.S. When you get it finished, make certain that no refrigerant line is in contact with any other metal item (i.e., going thru the radiator baffle).
The following 2 users liked this post by 7T1vette:
Kev73 (11-23-2020), platinummaker (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:58 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev73
It's been a long day in the garage so hopefully I'm just missing something obvious. It looks like the hard lines will not line up correctly with the dryer and condenser.

This top line has two issues. First is that it won't reach the condenser as it hits the side. 2nd it won't fight in between the condenser brace and hook up. Can I slightly massage this line so that it fits or do i risk cracking it?

Keep in mind the bottom lines are just sitting there and the dryer isn't t the correct height but does this look correct? I will have to angle the dryer at like 15 degrees for both connections to barely line.

Everything else on the install has been pretty straight forward and this is the first problem I've encountered. Looking for some input. Thanks!

I recall having a similar problem when I installed the VA kit in my '73 back in 2011. I don't remember the particulars at this time but I do remember Vintage Air having to send out some different parts including hard lines for me to make things work. If I remember correctly, they thought at the time that some of the early '73s had '72 core supports. Take a look at their instructions and parts list for '72 cars and see if that gives you the right direction to go.

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by DC3:
interpon (11-23-2020), Kev73 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Kev73
Advanced

Thanks guys appreciate the info. I double checked everything at lunch today and had a buddy come over and it just won't fit as is.

DC, I took a look at the 72 instructions and you're right, it looks like I have a '72 core support and the lines are different. I've email some pictures and questions over to Vintage Air and will let you know what I find out.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:09 AM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev73
DC, I took a look at the 72 instructions and you're right, it looks like I have a '72 core support and the lines are different. I've email some pictures and questions over to Vintage Air and will let you know what I find out.

Hopefully, they'll get you fixed up with what you need. I was really impressed with Vintage Air's technical support this year. Justin went above and beyond to help me sort out some issues when I swapped to a serpentine belt system after my engine swap.

DC
Old 11-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Kev73
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC3
Hopefully, they'll get you fixed up with what you need. I was really impressed with Vintage Air's technical support this year. Justin went above and beyond to help me sort out some issues when I swapped to a serpentine belt system after my engine swap.

DC
You're right, they were really knowledgeable and went above and beyond with the support on this issue. I'm getting the 2 hard lines for a 72 mailed out so i can work on finishing the install. Very impressed with everything so far.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:59 PM
jimco84x
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

fwiw, I just went through the same thing on my 69. I had to "adjust" the same line. It wasn't much, but it was necessary. I also had to tweak the bracket for the dryer a little bit also.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I had the same situation with a Vintage Air made replacement AC drier hard line for my 68 with factory AC.
The bends were relaxed and I had to reshape to match the original which was ruined during removal.
Marshal

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Condenser / Dryer Question

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Condenser / Dryer Question