C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydroboost is in! About all the hype..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's Hydroboost is in! About all the hype..........

.......beleive it! I got my hydroboost unit over a year ago thru a Durango Kidd connection. Cost me $50 shipped to the house with a garauntee to work. It sat on my shelf waiting for me to get around to it. Well, my Fuel Injection unit I'm about to install didn't have a power brake vacuum outlet on the throttle body, so instead of locating another vacuum source, I decided to finally install the hydroboost and eliminate the need. I had lines made at my local NAPA for $116. So for about $175 and a little blood and sweat, I have hydroboost. Everything Norval said is true. I already had fantastic brakes, so I wasn't expecting much improvement. I have 275 tires all around, wilwood brake calipers, and high performance pads. But with hydroboost, I get a much firmer pedal, and a lot less effort needed to bring you to a stop right now! The only thing I'm missing is ABS. It's all good. Go get hydroboost, a Bee Jay recomendation.

Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 11-25-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Easier to find in search.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no room for any type of vacuum booster. Matt - (aka Durango Boy), helped hook me up with a unit. I made up my own lines out of P/S High Pressure Braided lines. Took a little getting use to but sure does bring it to a quick stop!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Yuppers, greatest single thing you can do for the brakes besides stainless lined calipers.....

which just repair damage, do nothing for stopping power like HB does....
Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Does that run off the power steering pump or do you use another pump?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Does that run off the power steering pump or do you use another pump?

Yeah man, it works off of the stock power steering pump. All you need is the Hydro unit, a '77 or later master, and some lines, that range in price from black hydraulic lines like above or $250 S/S braided lines new.

If you would like more info, PM me your email address and I can send you a ZIP folder with lots of info on the Hydrobooster swap.

I did it in my car and think it's the single best mod I have done with the exception of maybe the DeWitts radiator.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I drove the car again today. The great brakes are still there, but I noticed something else. The car is running great. Ever since I bolted on the new AFR 195s, I've had a lean idle and a lean off idle bog. I've read everything Lars and Cliff wrote, and I drilled and jetted and adjusted idle screws and I think I was getting there. You have to be patient with Qjet. But my idle is richer now, and the car is running better. Is the vacuum power brake system a big vacuum leak? When I sit at the red light on the brakes, is that a vacuum leak? Just wondering.
Bee Jay
Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I agree on the braking system on how god it works. My question is why did you mount it upside down and have all the lines pointing up. Mine is the other way with the lines pointing down or at the bottom of the unit.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I agree on the braking system on how god it works. My question is why did you mount it upside down and have all the lines pointing up. Mine is the other way with the lines pointing down or at the bottom of the unit.

The way BJ mounted it is actually factory correct mounting. We, as C3 owners, mount the unit upside down because it's more appealing to have the lines point down.

Technically, WE are mounting is upside down.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a question. Since it works off the stock steering pump what happens brake system if the power steering pump goes bad for some reason? I was considering getting this system. I'm sure if it didn't work it would not have been used so extensively on Chevy trucks. Explain please.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
I have a question. Since it works off the stock steering pump what happens brake system if the power steering pump goes bad for some reason? I was considering getting this system. I'm sure if it didn't work it would not have been used so extensively on Chevy trucks. Explain please.

It works just like normal vacuum brakes without power assist or manual brakes in the event of a power steering pump failure. The pedal is hard to press down, but you can still stop the car just fine even without the power assist.

It seems hood clearance is the reason it's mounted upside down in some cases. I originally tried mine with the lines up, but the hood would hit my master so I flipped it and got lines to match.

Last edited by Durango_Boy; 02-05-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I actually debated this for a moment. The way you see it is how it is mounted in my GMC 1500HD Crew Cab. I looked at a lot of pictures and some mounted this way, and others mounted it lines down. I went with what appeared to be the easiest way to maintain. I didn't know if this junkyard hydroboost would work or if the lines I had built weren't leaking, and if this thing is something you mount and forget it or I would have to fiddle with it. If I had to do over, I'd go with the braided lines because -6 is much thinner than 3/8" hydraulic lines, and you have to route three of them down by the frame, a arms, power steering pump and steering control valve. It got tight. With pretty braided hose, I might still leave it hose up. What is everyone's opinion? Up or down?
Bee Jay
Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Lines down.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

does anybody know anybody who does track days or road races with a hydroboost?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
langlj00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Yeah man, it works off of the stock power steering pump. All you need is the Hydro unit, a '77 or later master, and some lines, that range in price from black hydraulic lines like above or $250 S/S braided lines new.

If you would like more info, PM me your email address and I can send you a ZIP folder with lots of info on the Hydrobooster swap.

I did it in my car and think it's the single best mod I have done with the exception of maybe the DeWitts radiator.
Why does it have to be post '77 M/C?
Jeremy.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by langlj00
Why does it have to be post '77 M/C?
Jeremy.

They changed the snout of the master in '77. If you use an early year master they won't mate properly and the system won't work at all.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
.......beleive it! I got my hydroboost unit over a year ago thru a Durango Kidd connection. Cost me $50 shipped to the house with a garauntee to work. It sat on my shelf waiting for me to get around to it. Well, my Fuel Injection unit I'm about to install didn't have a power brake vacuum outlet on the throttle body, so instead of locating another vacuum source, I decided to finally install the hydroboost and eliminate the need. I had lines made at my local NAPA for $116. So for about $175 and a little blood and sweat, I have hydroboost. Everything Norval said is true. I already had fantastic brakes, so I wasn't expecting much improvement. I have 275 tires all around, wilwood brake calipers, and high performance pads. But with hydroboost, I get a much firmer pedal, and a lot less effort needed to bring you to a stop right now! The only thing I'm missing is ABS. It's all good. Go get hydroboost, a Bee Jay recomendation.

Bee Jay
Kudos to you for a good job done! I'm just posting for those who may be interested in more info. My April issue of Chevy High Performance arrived today and there is a story titled Whoa Down about installing a hydroboosted four wheel disc brake system in a 66 Chevelle. They have some useful picture illustrations even tho it is not a Corvette. Like Bee Jay, you don't need to use all the parts they chose and keep the price down.
BTW...they picture braided lines coming up from the top.

Last edited by Red 69; 02-05-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, lines down.. But I wasn't going to say anything. It looks good as is with a little steel wool on the lines to brighten them up!

This wouldn't look too good with the blue steel braided lines coming out of the top:

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost is in! About all the hype..........

Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red 69
Kudos to you for a good job done! I'm just posting for those who may be interested in more info. My April issue of Chevy High Performance arrived today and there is a story titled Whoa Down about installing a hydroboosted four wheel disc brake system in a 66 Chevelle. They have some useful picture illustrations even tho it is not a Corvette. Like Bee Jay, you don't need to use all the parts they chose and keep the price down.
BTW...they picture braided lines coming up from the top.
Got my Chevy-Hi Performance today too. It also has an article that tests a number of bolt on pieces with dyno tests before and after. That is one of my favorite magazines.
Bee Jay
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

one of these days i'm going to have to drive someone's car that already has HB. both my diesel trucks have it and i just don't see the benny.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by clutchdust
one of these days i'm going to have to drive someone's car that already has HB. both my diesel trucks have it and i just don't see the benny.

Consider the weight of your trucks compared to the weight of the Vette. Are either of them under 6K pounds?

Quick Reply: Hydroboost is in! About all the hype..........