C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanderson headers HP loss???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanderson headers HP loss???

I am looking at getting the sanderson header’s in the link below, but am concerened about HP loss. I have a 383 that I would like to run stout and don’t want to choke it down at the exhaust. I have heard that these flow very well and I like the look, but was just curious what you guys think the loss would be compared to tube headers.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=67
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Theiskell
I am looking at getting the sanderson header’s in the link below, but am concerened about HP loss. I have a 383 that I would like to run stout and don’t want to choke it down at the exhaust. I have heard that these flow very well and I like the look, but was just curious what you guys think the loss would be compared to tube headers.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=67
Block huggers, or 'Tri-Y' headers have always been around. You'd never notice a performance difference between them and chassis headers unless you compared them on a Dyno.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM
my mach 5
Racer

Tri-Ys and block headers aren't necessarily the same thing:

http://www.stans-headers.com/tri_y.htm
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

should work well on the street.more clearance under car with these headers .long tube headers may help a little more ,but those gains would be better for the drag strip or for dyno numbers .i would get the coated headers .lots of people on here have had good luck with these.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by terry82
should work well on the street.more clearance under car with these headers .long tube headers may help a little more ,but those gains would be better for the drag strip or for dyno numbers .i would get the coated headers .lots of people on here have had good luck with these.
A forum member is who turned me on to these I love the look. Does anyone know if the collector will be the same as the old rams horn or will I need to make modifications.
If the HP loss is not felt in the seat of the pants I will go with them, but I didn’t want to leave like 15 HP on the table.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Not that I'm beating it. But there was a discussion about headers verses rams horns here a while back and there does not seem to be that big of loss. I have found that changing from ram's horns to headers shorty headers or just about anything else is going to involve exhaust pipe changes.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigers123
Not that I'm beating it. But there was a discussion about headers verses rams horns here a while back and there does not seem to be that big of loss. I have found that changing from ram's horns to headers shorty headers or just about anything else is going to involve exhaust pipe changes.
I did see the posts on the header vs rams horns, but never seen any real estimates on the loss. It’s my understanding that the Sanderson headers I am looking at flow better than ram horns but not sure how close to tube they are. The bottom line is that if I can get out of dealing with the inherent problems of tube headers i.e. gasket leaks, dragging and retighten this would be a positive for me. I have spent a lot of time and leaves from the money tree for this to be a noticeable difference when I do the swap. I don’t want to kill it because I didn’t put tube headers on.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Take a look at these, http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=56only header with 1 7/8 in. primary that will fit our C3's ( talking undercar not sidepipes ). Was actually thinking about these for my new 427, dumps directly into my 3 inch exhaust system.

I can't see how there would be any losses over conventional long tube headers like my Hooker Super Comps but I am not a header engineer either

Last edited by MotorHead; 02-06-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Take a look at these, only header with 1 7/8 in. primary that will fit our C3's ( talking undercar not sidepipes ). Was actually thinking about these for my new 427, dumps directly into my 3 inch exhaust system.

I can't see how there would be any losses over conventional long tube headers like my Hooker Super Comps but I am not a header engineer either
What header? Did you intend on a link???
Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=56
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Now I see said the blind man...Thanks,that looks good.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM
FST*CARR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used these exact headers on a recent 59 Resto-Mod we did.

LT4 383 stroker, CNC's heads, LT4 Hot Cam. I matched the ports and had them ceramic coated and they are great.

Quite, no leaks, no loss of power, great clearance, very high quality.

They definitely need to be port matched, that's why I bought them uncoated, ported them, and then had them coated locally.

http://www.carrscorvettesandcustoms...._Corvette.html
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by FST*CARR
I used these exact headers on a recent 59 Resto-Mod we did.

LT4 383 stroker, CNC's heads, LT4 Hot Cam. I matched the ports and had them ceramic coated and they are great.

Quite, no leaks, no loss of power, great clearance, very high quality.

They definitely need to be port matched, that's why I bought them uncoated, ported them, and then had them coated locally.

http://www.carrscorvettesandcustoms...._Corvette.html
Which ones are you referring to ?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Theiskell
I did see the posts on the header vs rams horns, but never seen any real estimates on the loss. It’s my understanding that the Sanderson headers I am looking at flow better than ram horns but not sure how close to tube they are. The bottom line is that if I can get out of dealing with the inherent problems of tube headers i.e. gasket leaks, dragging and retighten this would be a positive for me. I have spent a lot of time and leaves from the money tree for this to be a noticeable difference when I do the swap. I don’t want to kill it because I didn’t put tube headers on.
I found proof of a dyno run in April 2008 Chevy High performance magazine. The test mule had Lunati Rocker Arms Edelbrock Intake manifold and Road Demon carb. The only change made was Doug's Headers with 1 and 5/8 inch primary tubes. The gain was 13 ft lbs of torque and 11 horsepower over the rams horns. Page 24 of the magazine.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigers123
I found proof of a dyno run in April 2008 Chevy High performance magazine. The test mule had Lunati Rocker Arms Edelbrock Intake manifold and Road Demon carb. The only change made was Doug's Headers with 1 and 5/8 inch primary tubes. The gain was 13 ft lbs of torque and 11 horsepower over the rams horns. Page 24 of the magazine.
Thank you that is enough to make me go with the tube if it is the same difference for the sanderson cast header.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM
kahuna251
6th Gear

Saderson Headers
I put these in my 68 327 what a night mare the last bolt where the alternator bracket attaches to the block has to be put on first with the bracket dangling in the slotted hole
i did this 4 times on and off
fortunately i did not use a gasket only silicone blue a bit messy but i finally got them on
the next issue i had it was hitting the sterring box on that side
(separated the box and linkage)
so i to install from underneath with the bracket dangling- bolt in the other hand and my son's two hands
all in all 4 hands 4 times
never again
and after all this they are pitted and the ceramic coating is flakeing with only 3 to 4 times i ran the engine ( i am still restoring the car)
i am planing to throw them out and put the hooker headers and tubular side exhusts

Get notified of new replies

To Sanderson headers HP loss???

Quick Reply: Sanderson headers HP loss???