C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Carb change Edelbrock 1405

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 AM
tomard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Carb change Edelbrock 1405

Ok guys, I am stumped ...... I am going to change carbs from my old orig stock Qjet to a AFB Edelbrock 1405.

First off, WHO HAS DONE THIS?

I would like to see some pictures of HOW you hooked it up, with your
CRUISE servo and Kickdown, and I think more importantly the throttle cable & spring .....

Issues:
I have looked at the Edelbrock Cruise, KD & Throttle adapter that goes in same place as stock KD/Servo bracket, but doesn't seem to have a way for servo to connect up.

The stock throttle & spring bracket was installed across the rear two spread bore bolts, but now I have a square bore manifold. How did you guys connect your throttle cable & spring?

HELP - I want her ready when the spring weather hits !!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
tomard
Racer

Default Nobody? Well here is update for you anyway!

Since nobody seemed to want to answer, I will update the post to what I had found on my 80 & maybe it will answer some questions for some future project for fellow members:

First off, I went with a Ebrock 1406 (had electric choke, tuned slightly leaner and got a calibration kit), but same setup as other EPS 1405.

The Stock Servo & kickdown bracket is used, but a Ebrock 1484 GM cruise linkage kit was needed for carb (and it also had Throttle stud that FIT, the one that came with carb, did not!). Also neede a GM KD stud that I picked up at local parts store for $6. The STOCK qjet throttle/return spring bracket does not work, so I picked up one on ebay for $7.

Here is link with picture: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

If you have A/C, you will also need to get the Edelbrock A/C Idle Solenoid, that kicks up your idle a little when you have the AC running. This little gizmo, is not transferable from your Qjet and will run you a cool $100 if you want it.

The brake booster line in rear of carb, is 1/4" so I used the adapter from my qjet with a little thread sealer, works/looks good!

The Front of carb has large vacuum fitting for PVC, and on drivers side a small full manifold vacuum, that I am using for tranny lockup switch.
Passenger side has small vacuum for vac advance on distributor.

The automatic choke, has a + & - lead, I grounded it to itself (one of the star choke screws), and the 12v is coming from same place it came with Qjet, but I didn't have the fancy connector, so I put it on my old wire .

Still have fuel line to do, cut the air filter rod, and might have to adjust the KD cable, but it is all coming together .....

I will post a picture when done, if anyone is interested!

Last edited by tomard; 02-28-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Just curious.... Why would you go to all that expense and trouble when you could just pay a couple of hundred to get the Q-jet working correctly? It's a much better carb, anyway.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 AM
tomard
Racer

Carb has been messed with, drilled and looks like its been through the war! Wanted something that I could easily calibrate on the car
Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
tomard
Racer

Default Edelbrock 1406

New 1406 carb is in, fired right up, had to set idle, mixture screws, set fast idle and checked the adjustment on the electric choke: I am very pleased with fit, function and looks good to boot Set the timing and she is telling me to back her out of the garage and LET HER LOOSE!

Additionally, while I was in there doing the carb & intake (was cracked), I installed a new 1pc felpro oil pan cover, billet aluminum timing chain cover, a new header gasket on drivers side & NO MORE LEAKS So I setup the distributor, in the "proper" orientation, with plug wires in the right place ..... I like stuff to be right.... sometimes, WAY too ****, but hey, to each his own ....

Will post a picture as soon as I get the fuel line completed (have a piece of ugly, and yes, less safe rubber fuel hose, until the correct fittings arrive!

Whats next ???? New 3.55 rear end gears maybe ?

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Carb change Edelbrock 1405

Quick Reply: 1980 Carb change Edelbrock 1405