C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ residents.....got a question about registration......

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 09:44 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NJ residents.....got a question about registration......

I was wondering if you get historic, QQ registration, but use nomral insurance like NJ State Manufacturers like i have now. I want to do this cause im having trouble passing inspection and would like the idea of QQ anyway. The problem is a lot of insurance companies want you to have 10+ years of driving experiece, and i dont want to be limited to the # of miles either. So, is it possible to use normal liability insurance and register historic??
Thanks Chris
Old 12-05-2001, 09:58 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NJ residents.....got a question about registration...... (Ed T)

i believe its the insurance that limits your mileage....my dad has QQ on his pinto and has hagerty insurance and isnt limited whatsoever.....i could be wrong tho???
Old 12-05-2001, 10:02 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NJ residents.....got a question about registration...... (74VETTE)

Originally, I was going to go with the QQ plates also. When I called Trenton to get the paperwork rolling, they told me I had to have Classic Specific insurance. I asked the kind lady what that meant and she told me that the insurance company had to classify the policy as classic, ordinary insurance did not qualify.
One thing you may want to look into is collector car registration. I'm hearing alot about that lately-mostly guys with older muscle cars. Not sure of all the details but there is little or no inspection and not all the restrictions of QQ.
Would love to hear if anyone else knows about the Collector designation.
Good luck-keep us posted...
:cheers:
-Tom

[Modified by 427_Roadster, 2:03 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 11:12 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: NJ residents.....got a question about registration...... (Ed T)

Are those the rules for the QQ plates? If so can I get a copy of that!! Although my car can pass inspection I'd like to be able to moddify it... :D

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:24 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NJ residents.....got a question about registration...... (427_Roadster)

yeah,,,,ive seen one car with it...it was fiero tturned into a ferarri replica with a 350 SBC....i wonder what the rules are?? anyone have anyclue??
there is nothing on DMV's web page about it.
Thanks again
Chris
Old 12-06-2001, 11:18 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NJ residents.....got a question about registration...... (74VETTE)

OK, here is what i have discovered via a employee of DMV

The are currently 4 categories of "special" registrations/inspections. They are Historic (QQ plates), Collector, Low Mileage, and Low Utilization Modified Performance vehicles (LUMPs). The requirements, etc. are as follows:

Historic - Vehicle must be at least 25 years old. Plates available in Trenton only. You must present the title already in your name, and know your insurance company name and policy number. Trenton does not check what type of insurance you have. Remove any existing inspection sticker; none is required, you do not have to go to an inspection station.

Collector - Vehicle must be titled and registered in your name. Any year or model of vehicle is accepted. Go to your local DMV agency, pay $25.00, receive a voucher, present it to an inspection station within 90 days. They people at the inspection station will ask for your reg., license, ins., voucher, and your declaration page or a letter from your insurance co. stating that you have limited mobility insurance. Your odometer must be working, and a record of its reading will be kept. No emission testing or safety check will be performed. A special triangle shaped sticker will be affixed to your windshield. You return in 2 years for your odometer to be checked again, and if you exceed 6,000 miles, you will not be eligible; vehicle will then be required to be emission tested and safety checked.

Low mileage - Regular plates and registration...you request this when you are due for inspection, before they start the inspection. (don't ask for it half way thru!) This only exempts you from the dyne testing for NOx, you still get a safety exam, and you must pass the 2500 rpm emission test.

LUMPs - same as above, however, you have to complete a form at the inspection station verifying that your emission controls meet DEP regulations.

Some of this looks good, but like the collector, i know i got way over 6000 miles in 2 years and limited mobility insurance.... what the hell is that? Lowmileage seems as if they still test for HC and CO2, which means i wont pass :lol: And the LUMP seems to be the same, but putting yourself at risk...
Looks like im gonna go for the historic though since im eligible that way.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To NJ residents.....got a question about registration......

Quick Reply: NJ residents.....got a question about registration......