C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injection for Vortec/350 HO crate?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Fuel injection for Vortec/350 HO crate?

Although I really like the GM Performance 350 HO in my '80, I would like better throttle response and better gas mileage without loosing HP or torque. Is that possible with fuel injection? Currently I have the GM intake and 600 cfm Hollie that came with the 350 HO Deluxe package, and the iron Vortec heads.

I don't want to spend more than I have to on FI because I am also saving for a Keisler 5-spd, so I've been watching eBay. There are a couple of FI systems from '96 and '97 Silverado trucks listed now.

First, will these systems work on my HO? Or should I watch for a system from an F-body or other passenger car?

Second, what else do I need? Computer? O2 sensor on my header? New distributor? Or will my vacuum HEI work?

Third, will it fit under my stock '80 hood?

Complete '96 Silverado FI System

Complete '97 Silverado FI System
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lately I have been doing a lot of work for a guy that uses the Tahoe and Suburban for his fleet of work trucks. I have done a lot of work to the stock Vortec engines in these trucks, and I think there are far better options out there. The performance is good, they pull strong, respond very well, and get good MPG even for bing in a big truck...but these systems are complicated.

The wiring harness for the engine is not stand alone...it's spread out all over the engine bay incorporating all sorts of things that you won't have or need. The fuel line inserts are very odd too and you'll need to find them if not get them from this seller, as they are unique to that manifold.

Also, the stock hat and intake system might not fit under your hood. It is also a very unique part, and a standard open element filter would not be possible. I would think a custom breather would be the only way.

There are lots of sensors to consider, that would need to be deleted from your harness.

I think just the harness and PCM work would make this project very difficult. Oh, and there was no car version of the Vortec fuel injection. The cars got LT1, and the trucks got Vortec.

LT1 is a hard FI system to add too...I almost think a TBI or TPI system would be easier for you to install.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go see the guys at TPISpecialties. There out just west of Minneapolis and have been doing fuel injection set-ups since the beginning. I've got their Miniram system on mine.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Street and Performance or Howell make Vortec harnesses. You could go with a Vortec system but you would need sensors and a distributor at least in addition to the intake. I would go TPI and get the Vortec base from Scoggin-Dickey. TPI stuff is really dropping in cost the last few years.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a GM Performance 350HO in one of my cars (not a Vette) and have Edelbrock Pro-Flo RPM EFI installed on it. It is a fabulous running engine with that EFI, though it's not the cheapest system on the market, it comes with the wiring harness, electric fuel pump and lines and most everything else needed.

The only issues on installation was it took the speed shop some time to dial in the calibration, but once done, it smokes the tires.

One hint...this system and many, if not most others, uses a Hall Effect distributor...it's not compatible with a capacitive discharge ignition like MSD, Mallory, Crane, etc. Don't ask how I know that!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by NMsharkracer
Go see the guys at TPISpecialties. There out just west of Minneapolis and have been doing fuel injection set-ups since the beginning. I've got their Miniram system on mine.
I hadn't heard of TPIS until I read your "The Great White Shark is out of the garage" this weekend. I called my wife over to show her how low the TPIS FI system was - barely over the valve covers - so I could stick with the stock hood. My wife didn't like the idea of having an almost-matching hood color or having to repaint the car just to get room for FI. I didn't either, but I was willing to consider it to fit FI under there.

I found the TPIS web site but don't know if they have a Vortec full kit.

And thank you, DB, for your insight about Chevy truck engines. I'm all for a system that is "easy" to install and not complicate.

I agree, Roughrider, the Edelbrock system is a bit pricey regardless of how complete it is.

Thanks for all the other tips and suggestions too.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
bruced267
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a TPI system and a set of heads. Runs good for what I know of the tuning. That said if I had to do it again I would buy the Vortec heads, TPI base. Best of both! Vortec TPI
Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Default TPiS "Sheet Metal Intake"

I didn't find any info about the TPiS Miniram FI system yet, but I did find their "sheet metal intake" for engine bays with limited hood clearance. Those runners look pretty short though. Doesn't that affect low-end torque? Or is that just a rumor?

I think I would finish it with clear powdercoat though.

Last edited by MN80Vette; 03-25-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injection for Vortec/350 HO crate?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel injection for Vortec/350 HO crate?