C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Differential Rebuild Paper

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 PM
MonzaRedConvert
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent work! And I mean both on the differential and the paper. Very detailed and descriptive. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 45ACP
I've been running 1 - 1 1/2 thou clearance on both sides for a number of years without any trouble. I don't see the need for more clearance than that as it is a low speed application and there is admirably good access to the line of contact for the grease. I also like the idea of having minimal wobble in what, in these cars, is an upper contol arm.

As far as using a flapper wheel to trim off the ends . . . not what I'd call precision work. I'm sure it can be done close enough to be successful, but keeping the end perfectly perpendicular to the axis of rotation seems like a pretty good idea.

I'd also be concerned with going through the case hardening. Not sure how deep it runs in current aftermarket stuff, but it seems to have been GD thin in the stock pieces from years ago.
The stock yoke case hardening is extremely thin, and I would not attempt to use this procedure with stock yokes. However, Lonestar's rebuilt yokes are cut off where the snap ring groove is. They press on a new hardened tip, which will not wear out. You'd have to grind like 1/4'' thickness off of the yoke end before you went through the case hardening.

Gary used to run his yokes within 1-2 thou. He has changed his procedure where he indicates the ends of the yokes using a granite surface plate and a machinist vice. Then he grinds down the ends of the yokes to get more endplay using a surface grinder. Tom's differentials doesn't run the endplay within 1 or 2 thou either - Gary confirmed this with me. The reason for more endplay is because you want more oil to get between the cross shaft and yoke end. I don't own a surface grinder - this paper is for those who don't own a machineshop and want to do most of the work themselves. You'll need to get shims ground by a local machineshop to setup the posi unit correctly - I got my shims ground to size by Gary using his surface grinder.

I also talked to him regarding setting up my yoke endplay using a very fine grit flap wheel on my high speed angle grinder. He said to use the dykem on the ends of the yokes and try to make it as parallel as I possibly can. This is why I used the dykem - I wanted to sand off a uniform thickness on the yoke tip. Is it as precise as using a surface Grinder? No, and I already knew it wasn't. The cross shaft is hardened steel - the new yokes and cross shaft will not wear like they would in the stock setup because they are both extremely hard.

Believe me, I have asked Gary every question and concern you can think of, including on how to fit my yokes at home in my garage.

Last edited by stinger12; 03-30-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tech paper, pictures and instructions are excellent !
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

The stock yokes should case hardened to 030" but that does vary and the mid to late C3's had poor, if any, hardening. 75-79 were bad. The rebuilt yokes should be a hardened tip and I don't believe that they are case hardened. Hardened tool steel? regardless I doubt removing 005 -010 will be a problem.

As for the final endplay. Check most rebuilt/exchange units and they are all over the place, at least the ones I've seen. 025-030 would not be a surprise to find. Build a posi in the fast, stock way leaves a lot of play in them. If the rebuilder takes the time to setup a stock posi to the correct spec and use the springs then the endplay will be less. As just about everyone knows now, I don't build posi's like that. As a result when I'm done tuning them the endplay with new and even some original yokes is between 0- 002" That is too tight for me. There is no spec on yoke endplay to be found, unless you can get into the original prints at GM. I have set endplay at 002 and didn't have a problem but opened it up to 005-010" I want a little movement there without loading the snap ring as much. I also want to get oil in there. I remove 003-006 from yokes on average to gain the gap I want. I do it on a KO Lee surface grinder but it can be done carefully with a wheel. Given the lack of resources Jeremy had the job turned out exceptional.

Also given the fact that thousands of these cars are driven daily with yoke endplay well over 010" makes this a non issue. It would be an interesting check to record the endplay on 20-30-40 restored vettes to see where they fall.

Also I have ground some of the early yokes to fit and reused them. One was a 68 I just did with lower miles. The yokes had about 005 wear on them, the endplay in the stock posi was over 030". After I tuned the posi and ground the yokes 003-005 I had the 005-008 I wanted. This saved the guy $200 over rebuilt yokes and they should last a good long time.

Last edited by GTR1999; 03-31-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTR1999
The stock yokes should case hardened to 030" but that does vary and the mid to late C3's had poor, if any, hardening. 75-79 were bad. The rebuilt yokes should be a hardened tip and I don't believe that they are case hardened. Hardened tool steel? regardless I doubt removing 005 -010 will be a problem.

As for the final endplay. Check most rebuilt/exchange units and they are all over the place, at least the ones I've seen. 025-030 would not be a surprise to find. Build a posi in the fast, stock way leaves a lot of play in them. If the rebuilder takes the time to setup a stock posi to the correct spec and use the springs then the endplay will be less. As just about everyone knows now, I don't build posi's like that. As a result when I'm done tuning them the endplay with new and even some original yokes is between 0- 002" That is too tight for me. There is no spec on yoke endplay to be found, unless you can get into the original prints at GM. I have set endplay at 002 and didn't have a problem but opened it up to 005-010" I want a little movement there without loading the snap ring as much. I also want to get oil in there. I remove 003-006 from yokes on average to gain the gap I want. I do it on a KO Lee surface grinder but it can be done carefully with a wheel. Given the lack of resources Jeremy had the job turned out exceptional.

Also given the fact that thousands of these cars are driven daily with yoke endplay well over 010" makes this a non issue. It would be an interesting check to record the endplay on 20-30-40 restored vettes to see where they fall.

Also I have ground some of the early yokes to fit and reused them. One was a 68 I just did with lower miles. The yokes had about 005 wear on them, the endplay in the stock posi was over 030". After I tuned the posi and ground the yokes 003-005 I had the 005-008 I wanted. This saved the guy $200 over rebuilt yokes and they should last a good long time.

Yeah, what he said
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RATT7
Great tech paper, pictures and instructions are excellent !
Holy crap, there is somebody on the forum from winnipeg? I used to live there about 9 years ago. In fact, I was just there a month ago for a family function
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

When you set up your clutches did you ever check your final set up with a in. torque wrench? It would be nice if we had some type of reference,than just by feel.
Nice job thanks for all your effort.
Gary
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gve
When you set up your clutches did you ever check your final set up with a in. torque wrench? It would be nice if we had some type of reference,than just by feel.
Nice job thanks for all your effort.
Gary
I thought about that, but it wouldn't be accurate, because the in/lb torque wrenches are extremely sensitive. The needle was jumping all over the place when I had a problem with my pinion setup bearings - and they felt really smooth when you turned them by hand, but not according to the wrench! The "bumpiness" of the spiders would make the needle on the wrench jump all over the place. Here's a video of what is considered EXTREME BINDING:

Last edited by stinger12; 03-31-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

I think the two shim sizes I ended up using were 0.037 and 0.035, but it depends on the posi case.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for the video, that was a quick reply.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gve
Thanks for the video, that was a quick reply.
No problem. Glad I could help.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
CaptainHook
Racer

Wow. great writeup. I wish I have the ability to rebuild mine.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM
r3rep
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Superb work Jeremy

Great work, and thanks for the effort and the extensive time you dedicated to writing the paper. After my trailing arms are done, this job is next.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
V77Vette
Instructor

nice job/nice write up!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V77Vette
nice job/nice write up!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

If any of you guys have questions or something that isn't clear in the paper, send me a PM and I'd be glad to help
Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM
MonzaRedConvert
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just one quick question. Do you have a name or P/N for the yellow setup grease that GM sells? I just know if I go in and ask for the "yellow stuff to setup differentials" I'm going to get a blank stare from the other side of the parts counter. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To My Differential Rebuild Paper

Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MonzaRedConvert
Just one quick question. Do you have a name or P/N for the yellow setup grease that GM sells? I just know if I go in and ask for the "yellow stuff to setup differentials" I'm going to get a blank stare from the other side of the parts counter. Thanks
I'll get the part number from the garage later on tonight - it comes in a tube, I think it was 7 or 8 bucks, but it should last you the entire rebuild.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Excellent write up. I will save this one along with the one Gary wrote and I should be able to handle the rear diff. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it all together for us.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
I'll get the part number from the garage later on tonight - it comes in a tube, I think it was 7 or 8 bucks, but it should last you the entire rebuild.
My tube of the GM yellow stuff has # 1052351. It is called Gear Marking Compound. I used less than 1/4 of the tube on mine. I'm stingy

Quick Reply: My Differential Rebuild Paper