C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfomance headers and exhaust system C3 BBC

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 09:06 AM
Simba77
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfomance headers and exhaust system C3 BBC

Hi,
I'm looking to buy these headers for my C3 454ci BBC (560 hp), but i can't find any exhaust system to go with it.
Does somebody have an idea ?
Or other performance headers if you now one...

https://americanracingheaders.com/pr...32355361062966

Old 04-10-2024, 10:35 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,516 Likes on 799 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You are going to need one made custom. Do you know how the fitment of those headers are and do they make power?
Old 04-10-2024, 01:33 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

You will need mid pipes from the collector to the cross member. After that and system out the back will fit.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:51 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

There are a bunch of Chevrolet Big Block headers but few will fit on a Corvette. I personally have a 1968 C3 convertible with a L71 engine from the factory. My car is now sporting a 1968 L88 Engine and coincidentally also makes ~562 hp. I am using a set of Hedman Headers that are made to fit on the BBC with a 4 speed. They almost "fell into place" with the engine in the car at the time. The headers are the Hedman Long tube headers and they attach to an Allen's Stainless Exhaust (now defunct) Chambered pipes which exit out the rear with the sound of a set of side-pipes just behind you. The Chambered type does not use those big ugly clunky mufflers so it looks cleaner and it sounds awesome.

Other companies have old stock or are remaking the chambered pipes elsewhere. Mine were made of the Aluminized Steel and are still working great. My exhaust system are duals, my left headers comes out only on the left side and vice versa.

IF you are going to buy a new set of headers be sure to get the ones with a predrilled and welded 02 bung. For an Air/Fuel meter or a EFI system down the road.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:10 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

My 489 cu in makes 570hp/606ft/lb tq at the flywheel. Initially I used the same Hedman headers that I had installed years earlier with the stock L36 427 engine. They were fine, worked well (or so I thought) with my then new 'built' 489 engine........
It was only when I was offered a pair of unused 'big tube' Hooker underfloor Supercomps (that didn't fit an a/c equipped VV Vette) that I chose to 'upgrade'.
The Hedmans were (if I recall) 1 7/8" dia. They fitted great and easily hooked-up to the stock 2 1/2" tailpipes and aftermarket mufflers.
The Hookers have 2 1/8" (perhaps 2 1/4"?) tubes and 3 1/2" collectors are seemingly no longer available. Originally listed as race headers they have low hanging, set back collectors. I was forced to have a custom stainless 3" 'X' pipe under chassis exhaust system fabricated for it.
There was a really significant and very noticeable increase in power over 4000 rpm right up to 6000 rpm (just under its rev limited maximum).
Look back a few weeks at a thread buy Old Car Bum to read his woes in trying to find an aftemarket pair of header to fit his big block Vette...........
Old 04-11-2024, 08:21 AM
jimco84x
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

I can't speak to the fitment of ARH's BBC headers, but the 1 3/4 SBC headers that I bought from them were perfect. They cleared the Borgeson box, steering, frame, z/bar, etc without even a bump. Great quality and power. One of the few production headers that have a true merge collector that's even close to the right size. Yes they make power. I can only assume the BBC ones were designed around the same constraints.

Get notified of new replies

To Perfomance headers and exhaust system C3 BBC

Quick Reply: Perfomance headers and exhaust system C3 BBC