C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Throttle Body Fuel Injection Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's Holley Throttle Body Fuel Injection Installed

Actually, it's been installed for a few weeks now, I've been fine tuning it and working out some very small bugs. I got an older used unit (Holley 4Di 950) from a friend that is returning his classic Grand Prix to stock. Installation was a breeze actually, but I got sidetracked a few times. You know, while I'm in there, I might as well do the Hydoboost Brakes. I used the stock 3/8" fuel line as my return line, and used new 3/8" fi lines from the tank for feed. The system is only 10 to 20 psi on the feed side, and 4psi on the return. It is very important to keep the return line below 5psi, that is why I used the original 3/8" line for return.
The Throttle Body bolts onto the LT1 manifold just like a carb. It's a full inch shorter, so I moved up from a 3"x14" air cleaner to a 4". It fits under my stock hood, a little tight, but it fits.
I loved my Quadrajet, and stuck with it for almost 30 years. When the car was only two months new, I re-jetted it. And for thirty years I've been re-jetting, adjusting float levels, changing rods and hangers, and adjusting the APT. I read everything Lars and Cliff Ruggles wrote. But I always wanted to try Fuel Injection. Now that it's in, I love it. The throttle response was never this good with the Q-jet. And the low end torque I thought I lost due to big AFR heads, big cam, headers and 2.5" exhuast with 3" flowmasters, is back. I don't know what a big block feels like, but I'm not holding the 700r4 in lower gears like I used to. I haven't put my G-tech in it yet, but my seat of the pants meter says that the car is much quicker. The sideways jump at the 1-2 shift scared me a couple of times. It pulls clean to 6300 rpm. To change the A/F ratio, or the accelerator shot, or almost anything is a few lap top computer strokes away. No dirty fingernails, no gas smell, no lost needles and jets. I've got a couple of tanks on it, but I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I'm a happy fuel injected man now. Zora would be proud.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 11-25-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Easier to find in search.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Looks good Bee Jay Welcome to the dark side! ..

Bullshark
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job BeeJay. That looks like a lot easier route than I took.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real nice looking setup, I saw that advertised and wondered when someone would comment on it. Sounds like it was pretty painless. Too bad on the lack of gas smell all the time though, what the heck, that's no fun!!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Bee Jay,

Where did you come by that adjustable throttle cable bracket?? Was it part of the kit?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
stingraydriver74
Instructor

hey fellas,

I just finished up a Holley TBI swap on my '74 also. Except i used the smaller 2 barrell system (almost half the cost of the 4 bbl) and it works great! I ended up getting the holley manifold designed for the 2 bbl projection and that eliminated all my problems. It starts great, much more power, very CRISP throttle response (no hesitation) and seems to use less gas i guess we'll find out for sure when I get my foot out of it. thanks to all who helped, including BEEJAY!

PS the hardest part of the swap was running the new fuel line...if you used a steel hard line like i did.

Brad
Old 04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Bee Jay,

Where did you come by that adjustable throttle cable bracket?? Was it part of the kit?
Nope, not part of the kit. I bought that bracket way back when I did the 700R4 conversion. It has a TV cable bracket on the bottom.
Bee Jay
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Glad to hear you like it!

I was thinking about switching from carb to multi-port but they are all too pricey for my wallet. MPFI would take too much from my Keisler funds. I am definitely going consider TBI.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I was thinking about switching from carb to multi-port but they are all too pricey for my wallet. MPFI would take too much from my Keisler funds. I am definitely going consider TBI.
I was leery about buying this used TBI, but after seeing it run, and getting help from the seller (he's a coworker) on the installation, I'm happy I did it. If I stumble upon a good used MPFI unit, I'd pull the trigger again. But this TBI does everything an expensive carb will do, and more. I'm thinking of investing in an '80 or later HEI so that the Holley ECU will control my timing too. It's incredible what the ECU will control. You can download the manual from the Holley site.
Bee Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Throttle Body Fuel Injection Installed

Quick Reply: Holley Throttle Body Fuel Injection Installed