C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley squirter & accelerator pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Holley squirter & accelerator pump questions

As I said in another post, I need to buy bigger squirters for a Holley 80457 on a GM HO crate. I just learned that there are 2 kinds of squirters: standard and tubular.

Supposedly tube type squirters are recommended when additional top end fuel enrichment is required. My carb has problems at the low end, so I shouldn't need tubular squirters, but is there any harm in buying tubular squirters anyway?

Should I put on a 50cc pump while I'm at it or will the combination of bigger jets and bigger pump push too much fuel?

I also learned that there is a hi-flow nozzle screw available. Do any of you guys have one in your Holley?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Default Found some info...

I found a good article about Holley accelerator pumps:
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...ent/index.html

Now I know that I already have a tubular squirter but not a hi-flow screw. The squirter pictured in the article is exactly like mine:

I still don't know what size squirter to buy though.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
tonyv123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres some info on yer squirter, (a little ways down the page) browse the site for more.

http://holley.com/TechService/FAQ.as...ory=Carburetor
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
tonyv123
Instructor

Just read your post below, and here's what I'd do:

First, make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Disconnect one at a time, your power brake vacuum connection, headlights, pvc, and make sure nothing is leaking vaccum. Alot of off idle stumble is caused by a vacuum leak.

If no vac. leak, go up two squirter sizes and check driveability.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Default Update

I stopped by TNT Raceshop (http://www.tntraceshop.com/) near work with my list of parts. (Those guys seem to really know what they're talking about.) They agreed with the diagnosis and my parts list but suggested I try the fixes in order:
  1. .035 squirter
  2. Biggest, steepest accelerator pump cam
  3. 50 cc accelerator pump

I took the car for a test drive after the squirter change: Noticeable improvement but still studdering.

Then I put on the biggest, steepest cam (the brown one that came with the 50 cc conversion kit), adjusted the lever bolt length to get max shot, and took it for another test: BIG difference. The front of the car visibly rose when I stomped on the pedal, BUT then it went back to studdering.

That tells me that the .035 squirter and cam are shooting more gas but I think the 30 cc accelerator pump is running out of gas.

I ran out of time tonight, so the 50 cc conversion will have to wait until tomorrow evening. That will be just in time too, because dyno day is Saturday - 3 pulls with print outs of hp, torque, and A/F.

BTW,
Thanks for the suggestions about vacuum leaks Tony. I'll check those things tomorrow when I continue the project.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not need the 50 cc. If you like you can add an extra gasket on the pump.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
You may not need the 50 cc. If you like you can add an extra gasket on the pump.
That sounds easy. You've got my attention.
However, I don't think that would increase squirted volume enough. Another gasket would increase volume of the accelerator pump (a little) but the lever and diaphram would limit the output volume.

I already bought a 500 cc conversion kit, so I am going to put that one tonight and tweak everything one more time. That setup is what's going on the dyno tomorrow.

GM rates the 350 HO at 330 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque. Given my novice amateur rating, I'd be quite pleased if I get 250 to the wheels and quite surprised if I get more. Realistically, I am expecting 220-240.

BTW, the objectives of this carb tuning are 1) wake up my '80 and make it more lively to drive, and 2) get a baseline to compare against after I install the Holley TBI system I have in the garage.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

where is base timing? it will take a HUGE shot to make up for less than optimum timing.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I have used an LM-1 wide band O2 sensor for years on several types of carbs and have found uniformly that a lean spike occurs upon rapid acceleration with the smaller pumps. The larger pumps gives you more flexibility to control it. You will most likely need a spacer for clearance.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
where is base timing? it will take a HUGE shot to make up for less than optimum timing.
Originally Posted by KJL
I have used an LM-1 wide band O2 sensor for years on several types of carbs and have found uniformly that a lean spike occurs upon rapid acceleration with the smaller pumps. The larger pumps gives you more flexibility to control it. You will most likely need a spacer for clearance.
Yikes! I don't have room for a spacer under the carb to make room for a 50 cc pump, and I am already using a drop-base air cleaner to fit under the stock hood.

I will check the timing again before I convert to 50cc. Base timing is at 14 deg. I have 2 medium springs on the weights (Moroso). I had 2 light springs on, but the weights weren't returning all the way.

Matt,
How do you recommend I set the timing to require a smaller shot to stop the studdering? Re-timing is easier than converting to 50 cc.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:06 AM
gordie1465
Advanced

think about a longer intake run or spacer
Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Yikes! I don't have room for a spacer under the carb to make room for a 50 cc pump, and I am already using a drop-base air cleaner to fit under the stock hood.

I will check the timing again before I convert to 50cc. Base timing is at 14 deg. I have 2 medium springs on the weights (Moroso). I had 2 light springs on, but the weights weren't returning all the way.

Matt,
How do you recommend I set the timing to require a smaller shot to stop the studdering? Re-timing is easier than converting to 50 cc.
14 isn't bad. if it likes 16-17 that could help. a trick kit, comes with lots of squirters and cams. really helpes tune.
some guys let the carb drive; others drive the carb. (there is no reason to nail it from a stop; best acceleration is a skill) no doubt it could work better, but without driving the car i have no idea if is a big problem or not. if it bothers u enough, buy the trick kit. another drivability idea is to make the power valve kick in early
http://community.webtv.net/MATTGRU/pv the pv won't help at launch, however.

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 04-19-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

i am going thru this with my new engine/holley right now. i had a stumble at wot and have eliminated it.
i went to a bigger pump nozzle, .035 tubular, that helped but didn't fully resolve. I then bought the pump cam kit and thought the same that the most aggressive would work. That didn't resolve either.
Thru experimenting i am now using the red cam which is not as aggressive but provides a longer duration shot. You may need to try a longer duration pump cam.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM
morganjd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

red or orange are the 2 to use
Old 04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
bozzman3
Racer

Please keep us posted and dont forget to post the dyno run!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by bozzman3
Please keep us posted and dont forget to post the dyno run!!!
Check out my "Dyno Day results" post on C3 General.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
bozzman3
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
14 isn't bad. if it likes 16-17 that could help. a trick kit, comes with lots of squirters and cams. really helpes tune.
some guys let the carb drive; others drive the carb. (there is no reason to nail it from a stop; best acceleration is a skill) no doubt it could work better, but without driving the car i have no idea if is a big problem or not. if it bothers u enough, buy the trick kit. another drivability idea is to make the power valve kick in early
http://community.webtv.net/MATTGRU/pv the pv won't help at launch, however.
Matt this is a intresting statement some guys let the carb drive; others drive the carb. Are you saying that the carb cant deliver perfect preformance in all areas?Do some of you have perfectly tunned carbs that have no bogs,hesition,etc in all areas of driving?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

My setup provides a consistent fuel curve throughout the rpm band. But again, I use an LM-1 wideband O2 sensor for tuning. Unless you are an experienced tuner, ball park is the best you may be able to expect. You should be able to at the very least, get the hesitation and bogs out of it but perfect performance in all areas is a tall order without being able to "see" how small adjustments impact the combustion process.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by KJL
My setup provides a consistent fuel curve throughout the rpm band. But again, I use an LM-1 wideband O2 sensor for tuning. Unless you are an experienced tuner, ball park is the best you may be able to expect. You should be able to at the very least, get the hesitation and bogs out of it but perfect performance in all areas is a tall order without being able to "see" how small adjustments impact the combustion process.
I use a narrow band butt-o-meter for tuning.
I am going to switch to a NOS Holley 4-bbl TBI conversion I got for cheap, but not until the end of the season. I will probably weld in a bunge and attach an A/F meter so I can "see" what's going on now and tweak it a little. That will establish a baseline to compare to when I convert.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley squirter & accelerator pump questions

Quick Reply: Holley squirter & accelerator pump questions