C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 Tri-Power help: Outboard carbs not opening

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:06 AM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 427 Tri-Power help: Outboard carbs not opening

I'm looking for suggestions and/or ideas, as to why the outboard carbs will not open up. This is what i've done so far:

I've read through this:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/tripower/

...and this:
http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm

...and I am still not finding a solution as of yet...so i'm all at this point.

Quick background:
-All 3 carbs were rebuilt from Holley.
-No apparent vacuum leaks (headlights, wiper door, distributor vacuum advance, brake booster, etc.. function normally). Pinched off hoses to double check...no change in RPM.
-Ran compression check, all cylinders equal.
-Pulled plugs, nothing noticeable, rechecked gaps.
-Pulled carbs, used new gaskets (correct gaskets for center and outboard carbs).
-Checked for leaks around carb bases via spraying WD-40 around bases, no RPM change.
-Put paperclips on vaccum pod rods to double check if they engaged during runs under load, no movement.
-Idle is steady/normal (950rpm).
-Auto choke working properly.
-Vacuum hoses are connected correctly and tight between the three carbs.
-Outboard butterflies open/close freely, and close completely via one-way linkage.
-Float level is set at the bottom threads of the plug holes and correct.

Is there something simple i'm overlooking?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

You may have done so without mentioning it, but I didn't see where you've tried tuning the secondary vacuum diaphragm springs under load. If that's the case, I urge you to do so because of the three BB Tri-power setups I've had over the years none has yet to perform properly without my taking this vital step. Just keep putting weaker and weaker secondary springs in until it bogs under load and back up to the last previous set. If it doesn't bog with the weakest springs, leave 'em in.

TIPs: Ignore what they do sitting in the driveway when you goose the throttle; it's what they do while your actually driving that matters. And, by all means, resist the temptation to make the secondaries manual.

The only Holley secondary diaphragm spring kit I know of available nowadays is # 20-13, and yes you'll need two.

Here' hoping your problem is this simple...

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 04-20-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Did you emntion if you tested this opening of the 2ndaries during driving the car ?
They will not open with the car static even at 6500 RPM, only open under load during driving.

With other words, if you can pull on the highway in 4th gear over 5000 RPM, they do open.

Günther
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After catching a few nice days I took the vette out for some tuning, and i'm still not so sure the outboards are opening.

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

Did you emntion if you tested this opening of the 2ndaries during driving the car ?
They will not open with the car static even at 6500 RPM, only open under load during driving.

With other words, if you can pull on the highway in 4th gear over 5000 RPM, they do open.

Günther
According to this:http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/tripower/ they 'should' open above 4000 RPM.

I held it to the floor, took it up a little above 6000 RPM and I still did not feel any 'kick in the pants' past 4000 really, it seemed to accelerate smoothly all the way until I let off it. I'm a bit nervous to keep it that high in RPM for too long, since it's the numbers matching motor and only about 800 miles on it since rebuild, but I just want to be sure the outboards are 'actually' working.

I put paperclips on the vacuum pod rods again to see if there is movement, but they are either popping off from vibration or possibly they are opening and knocking them off...i'm really not sure. Is there another way besides paperclips that works well?

I was thinking...could the fact I have a M21 close-ratio with either 4:88/4:56 gears, play a factor in them opening?
Or, I read this somewhere not sure where, could it be something to do with how tight/loose the air cleaner is, ie. air flow between the three carbs?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

You really need to test different secondary springs to know you've got the opening rate dialed in. And, that "kick in the pants" is commonly the surge of power coming on after a lag (tho not necessarily a bog) once the fuel delivery catches up to secondaries which have opened prematurely. It has been my experience that a properly setup tri-power delivers a steadily growing crescendo as opposed to a radical sudden burst...

BTW, the air cleaner's flow rate significantly effects 3x2 setup. Run the freest flowing one you can, or stick with the stock oiled foam piece.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM
ti9ere
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did u fix it?!!

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
After catching a few nice days I took the vette out for some tuning, and i'm still not so sure the outboards are opening.

According to this:http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/tripower/ they 'should' open above 4000 RPM.

I held it to the floor, took it up a little above 6000 RPM and I still did not feel any 'kick in the pants' past 4000 really, it seemed to accelerate smoothly all the way until I let off it. I'm a bit nervous to keep it that high in RPM for too long, since it's the numbers matching motor and only about 800 miles on it since rebuild, but I just want to be sure the outboards are 'actually' working.

I put paperclips on the vacuum pod rods again to see if there is movement, but they are either popping off from vibration or possibly they are opening and knocking them off...i'm really not sure. Is there another way besides paperclips that works well?

I was thinking...could the fact I have a M21 close-ratio with either 4:88/4:56 gears, play a factor in them opening?
Or, I read this somewhere not sure where, could it be something to do with how tight/loose the air cleaner is, ie. air flow between the three carbs?

Thanks

How did you sort it?
many thanks , Paul
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default opening

Try this, unhook or plug the front and rear carb vacuum lines and go drive the car. Note the sound, its ability to rev, how it pulls under acceleration. With the lines plugged you know the front and rear are not opening.
Now hook the lines back up and go drive it. Are the performance parameters different.
There is a big difference in the way the motor performs with the 3x2s hooked up and unhooked.
Scott
Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Is the vacuum hose to the secondaries connected to the correct fitting on the primary carb? Should be the one next to the choke pulloff and not manifold vacuum. Do the throttle blades open if you use a mityvac on each carb? Maybe "t" a vacuum gauge to see if there is a vacuum signal to the secondaries while driving.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:29 PM
ti9ere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fogaley
Try this, unhook or plug the front and rear carb vacuum lines and go drive the car. Note the sound, its ability to rev, how it pulls under acceleration. With the lines plugged you know the front and rear are not opening.
Now hook the lines back up and go drive it. Are the performance parameters different.
There is a big difference in the way the motor performs with the 3x2s hooked up and unhooked.
Scott
Hi Scott
Thanks but sadly I'm way past proving they do not open - even to the point of visually confirming it on rolling road test! They 100% do not!
I'm still at a loss!!
Thanks anyway...
Old 09-04-2016, 02:32 PM
ti9ere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3X2
Is the vacuum hose to the secondaries connected to the correct fitting on the primary carb? Should be the one next to the choke pulloff and not manifold vacuum. Do the throttle blades open if you use a mityvac on each carb? Maybe "t" a vacuum gauge to see if there is a vacuum signal to the secondaries while driving.
HI
Yes done all this but thanks. The mityvac test doesn't work unless the port inside the venturi on the F/R carb is blocked, and then yes it does proving the diaphragm and the linkage works. Also yes I'm connected to the correct port, even then I did try connecting to manifold vacuum and again this proved the secondaries work given enough vacuum (can't drive like this though and you can't accelerate below 3000rpm)
Thanks anyway....

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Tri-Power help: Outboard carbs not opening

Quick Reply: 427 Tri-Power help: Outboard carbs not opening