C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Open Warning Switch Alarm Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
bucket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight Open Warning Switch Alarm Light

On my '69 vette, the instrument light, associated with the headlight-open switches, comes on when I turn my headlights on and the headlight doors open. However, once the doors are open completely, the light does not go off. One of the switches was broken, and I replaced it. How should I troubleshoot the instrument light staying on?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Are both switches adjusted correctly and both lights openning all the way?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 PM
DARROW
Racer

Originally Posted by Aktbird

If your warning lights is staying on the switches are not shutting it off.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
bucket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aktbird
Well, the switches appear to be adjusted correctly, and the doors appear to be opening all the way. But I'm not sure how the switches work. And I'm not absolutely sure good contact is being made.

However, looking at the switches, it appears that the center button of each switch is depressed as a door opens. And I assume that if both switches are depressed correctly, the light will turn off.

If this is correct, is there a way that I can manually test the switches by using something like a screw to manually set the switches to cause the light to turn off, assuming everything is working correctly?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you have a defective switch...If you remove the switches so you can push the buttons manually, plug one in, turn on the head lights and then press the switch, the light on the dash should go out. do each switch by itself and you will be able to find the defective one. The switch opens the contact when depressed. If the switch is removed, the contact is open. Hope this makes sense, typing in a hurry here.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
bucket
Instructor

Originally Posted by chadronvette
It sounds like you have a defective switch...If you remove the switches so you can push the buttons manually, plug one in, turn on the head lights and then press the switch, the light on the dash should go out. do each switch by itself and you will be able to find the defective one. The switch opens the contact when depressed. If the switch is removed, the contact is open. Hope this makes sense, typing in a hurry here.
Well, I did a little testing, based on what you told me. I unplugged the passenger side switch, and left the driver side switch in. The result is this: After turning on the headlights, opening the headlight doors, the alarm light went off. Therefore, although the passenger side switch appears to be making contact, I don't think it is.

I more closely inspected the contact points, and I'm now pretty sure that the contact between and switch and the little "push piece" is not what it appeared to be.

The passenger side headlight door appears to be completely open. Is there a way to adjust the switch position or something, so that the switch will make better contact with the little "push piece"?

By the way, thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
chadronvette
Instructor

sorry, you got me there. I don't know of any adjustment for the switch itself. Sounds like the light is not opening completely. The contact point is pretty much set by the part that kind of "locks" the headlight open. Maybe the limit adjustment is off a little?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
bucket
Instructor

Originally Posted by chadronvette
sorry, you got me there. I don't know of any adjustment for the switch itself. Sounds like the light is not opening completely. The contact point is pretty much set by the part that kind of "locks" the headlight open. Maybe the limit adjustment is off a little?
That sounds reasonable. How do I make a "limit adjustment"?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM
chadronvette
Instructor

On the outboard side of each of the light assemblies is an "arm" that extends down to the frame of the light assembly. if you shine a light up in there and push the lights up gently you will see it move. There is an adjusting screw on the end of that arm that sets the limit of the headlight. That arm that the switch goes into should bottom out and if it isn't, that screw should be the only thing that stops it...or maybe something is in the works and binding up...a wire or something?

Hope this helps...sorry I don't have a diagram.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

also if the springs are wore out the headlights might not fully snap open, all you need is one side pluged in for the interior light to go off when the lights go up, good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Open Warning Switch Alarm Light

Quick Reply: Headlight Open Warning Switch Alarm Light