C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seamless bumper bonding

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

they are sized for c/d cups

that was when my audio was still in fiberglass mode.....

i plan on redoing my interior ....

b
Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one else has used the body filler with the carbon fiber mixed in with it? My paint supply store owner suggested it for my vette and the label specificaly said smc. I plan to bond my bumpers to the car with panel adhesive the V the seam and fill it with the carbon fiber filler. The fiberglass is just too messy and too much work for me.

copied this from SEM's website: Carbo Fill 39542 is a carbon fiber enriched formula that offers exceptional cosmetic and structural repair for SMC, FRP, HPA and PPO/PA

I am sold on this stuff.

Last edited by kevinator80; 04-29-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

The May 2008 issue of Corvette Fever has a detailed article on seamless bumper cover installation. The article shows all aspects of the installation using a 1976 C-3. It covers the prep work, bonding materials, clamping procedures, etc. I must say "onaqwst's" C3 looks so good it makes me want to go seamless and repaint my C3. Such clean lines.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

if you look closer you'll see the rest of the things i tookout/shaved also...

alot of work

if you have that article or someone....maybe they can scan it or something and post it for a download.......

b
Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would be gr8.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

onaqwst.....
My scanner is on the fritz. If you can give me your address, I'll send you my copy of Corvette Fever. It's a very good article if you are doing a seamless bumper cover install.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default the gazman

onaqwst.... My scanner is on the fritz. If you can give me an address, I'll send you my copy of Corvette Fever magazine. The article is very detailed and worth reading if you are planning a seamless bumper install.
Ken
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

I think his is completed, but I would really like a copy...?

rich

Originally Posted by thegazman
onaqwst.... My scanner is on the fritz. If you can give me an address, I'll send you my copy of Corvette Fever magazine. The article is very detailed and worth reading if you are planning a seamless bumper install.
Ken
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

the article is pretty informative, but they use the marglass (shortstrand) stuff to bond the glass bumpers to the car. and then use a filler and smooth out. apparently this isn't the "best" way to do it and causes some cracks after time. best and sure way is the "v" groove the seams out and lay matte in there and work your way up. I did this with my 79's fenders to convert to an 80's bumper. it's definatley not going anywhere's....

ryan
Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Bullcrappy1.....(Rich)
Bluegtp may be right about the bonding material, but I would be willing to send you my extra copy of Corvette Fever with the article on seamless bonding. Just tell me where to send it.

Ken
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

i'm gonna be redoing my bumpers at a later date.... but send it to the next person that might need it since my is already set for now.....

i can scan it if needed though...and post it up later

b
Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by leskinner
Hi Guys-
I'm trying to put an Ecklers fiberglass front bumper cover on my 75 convertible. It doesn't fit I think because the front end has been broken and repaired many times by previous owners. I have read several posts here about bonding the new bumper cover on with just an adhesive and ending up seamless. I was planning on bonding it with glass mat and resin for strength and then filler for the seamless look. After reading what others here have done with just adhesive, is the glass mat and resin overkill?
TIA
Larry
I had a similar fit problem with my Pace Car. For obvious reasons I did not want to glass the bumpers on a Pace Car, but I did want the fiberglass bumpers for the paint to match and it not be wavy over time. My front end had had body work also and the fit was horrible.

Take a look at this post and how LittleJake's body guy fixed it. It turned out perfect!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1932412
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I bonded mine with "MarineTex". It is an epoxy/filler designed for boat repair. The stuff is amazing, I did this back in 03 and it is still flawless to this day with no visible line or cracks.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM
myway76
Instructor

Default Bonding bumpers

It just so happens that Corvette fever Mag. is doing this prodject on a C3 too! It"s the May issue. They used MAR-GLASS as a bonding agent. There are many products now out there but whatever the case, it has to be done right! Experienced body man job for sure.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
myway76
Instructor

Default Bonding bumpers

It just so happens that Corvette fever Mag. is doing this prodject on a C3 too! It"s the May issue. They used MAR-GLASS as a bonding agent. There are many products now out there but whatever the case, it has to be done right! Experienced body man job for sure.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by thegazman
The May 2008 issue of Corvette Fever has a detailed article on seamless bumper cover installation. The article shows all aspects of the installation using a 1976 C-3. It covers the prep work, bonding materials, clamping procedures, etc. I must say "onaqwst's" C3 looks so good it makes me want to go seamless and repaint my C3. Such clean lines.
Somebody PLEASE scan and post this article. I went to 2 bookstores today looking for the magazine but couldn't find it. I have thought about doing this to my 74 if/when I ever repaint it. A very cool look.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Originally Posted by V-Twin
epoxy based resins don't contain styrene and won't break down the binders of your crushed fiber mat. Epoxy based resins do not "wet" the fibers, it won't work very well at all. You won't end up with a polester/fiber matrix but with a epoxy with fibers in it, there's no crosslinking no nothing
FYI: This is not entirely correct. Not to start a fight about it or step on anyones toes, but I have built remote controlled racing boats for many years out of epoxy resin and fiberglass mat and cloth with no problems what-so-ever. I usually use "West Systems" epoxy resin or "Epiglass", mostly the west systems, and off the shelf fiberglass mat from either the auto parts store or the marine supply store depending on how much is needed. This is also how I did the glassing in on my car that I just painted.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2011676
First, you will ned to bond the bumper to the fenders as has been said already, then glass the two together for the finished look and for strength. Epoxy resin will bond to SMC and will wet out fiberglass fibers. If there is any doubt, just take some resin and put it on the glass fibers and wait a few seconds. If it dont wet out the fibers, they will still be white in the resin, if they turn transparent then all is good. Up to this point I have yet to get any glass that epoxy did not work with just like polyester resin, and a model boat hitting another at 60 MPH will disintigrate if it were not right. Instead they only crack and break. Although I am sure this is possible, I dont think it is likely with todays requirements to work with epoxy resins because of the demand for epoxies in the market.
You can order online through "West Marine" (not affiliated with west systems) if you dont have a marine store nearby.

BTW, if someone has some of this glass that epoxy dont work with, PM me. I would like to get a small piece of it from you to do some tests with myself. It seems everyone has heard of this problem but no one has ever seen it or has any of the glass so I can see it myself. I would like to make sure I am not giving out the wrong information if some one actually has some.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have even used the thick 1 to 1 epoxy paste and smashed it into styrene based matt and it has wet out well. I use that for all kinds of repairs.
I can send you a cured sample of that.

Quick Reply: Seamless bumper bonding