C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Default Distributor Specs

Hi Folks,
73 Coupe with stock points fired distributor appears to be original unit. Does anyone know of a document that provides tolerances for shaft/gear play etc and how to measure....or better yet a procedure to disassemble and rebuild an original distributor? I searched around and found lot's of good info on timing but can't seem to find info on how to diagnose and repair distributor problems. As always thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

The Feb '08 issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine has an excellent article by John Hinckley on step by step how to disassemble, inspect, and rebuild a '63-'74 points distributor.

Another excellent article on points distributor rebuild/restoration is by Dave Fiedler who has a top reputation for his work.
http://www.tispecialty.com/articles/article6.htm

Actually, I'm surprised Lars doesn't have an article on distributor rebuilding. He has plenty on how to install them and set them up and the vacuum advance system for them but nothings i've seen on actually rebuilding them.

Anyway, hope either of these two sources will help
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Cool..Thanks Barry I'll give these a look. I too was surprised not to find something by Lars on this...it looks like the Fielder doc should do the trick. Thanks again as always your a wealth of info!

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor Specs

Quick Reply: Distributor Specs