C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo/ Supercharger + Quadrajet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo/ Supercharger + Quadrajet?

I have been toying with the idea of a blower. The centrifugal supercharger kits I've seen say "for Holley 4150 or BG Demon". I talked to a tech at either Procharger or Vortech (I can't remember) and he was no help, just told me what the web site said (Holley or Demon). I love my Quadrajet and want to keep it. Are there any issues with using the Q-jet? What superchargers or turbochargers are you guys using? God bless, Sensei
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

www.turbomustangs.com

If you look in the blow through section you might find instructions on a q-jet.

Holleys are pretty easy to modify for blow through.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to stick with a non-blower carb, you'll need one of those setups with a pressure box that goes around the carb (so that pressure is equal internally and externally). They're pretty common...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
FB007
Burning Brakes

I would ask over at Vettemod.com. Alot of guys over there use blowers.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM
1981Z06Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by a1sensei
I have been toying with the idea of a blower. The centrifugal supercharger kits I've seen say "for Holley 4150 or BG Demon". I talked to a tech at either Procharger or Vortech (I can't remember) and he was no help, just told me what the web site said (Holley or Demon). I love my Quadrajet and want to keep it. Are there any issues with using the Q-jet? What superchargers or turbochargers are you guys using? God bless, Sensei
The only issue I can think of with a Quadrajet in a blow through application would be the floats...aren't Q-Jet floats made of brass, like the old Holley ones? If so, under boost they can crush like a beer can. Blowthrough carbs need to have nitrophyl floats, so they won't crush. Whether or not they are available for a Q-jet I don't know, but I'll second checking at turbomustangs.com. Awesome site with tons of info on this kind of stuff.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 AM
murraybs
Racer

Originally Posted by 1981Z06Vette
The only issue I can think of with a Quadrajet in a blow through application would be the floats...aren't Q-Jet floats made of brass, like the old Holley ones? If so, under boost they can crush like a beer can. Blowthrough carbs need to have nitrophyl floats, so they won't crush. Whether or not they are available for a Q-jet I don't know, but I'll second checking at turbomustangs.com. Awesome site with tons of info on this kind of stuff.

Yep, the Niehoff replacement floats for QJs are Nitrophyl, they're available at Kragen/Checker/Schucks.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

draw through? blow through?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
draw through? blow through?
Draw through - blower below the carb - draws mixture through the carb. Blow through - blower in front of the carb connected via tube (usually a centrifugal blower) - pushes air into the carb.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 AM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

I was asking him if he wanted a draw or blow through application. See, it kinda depends on what you have to do or can do with your carb. For blow through you need to pressure reference it for one, with draw though you just have to fatten up the mixture.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM
BigBlockk
Drifting

You boost referance a draw through system. This is so the power system will function properly.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 AM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

What you mean is PV referencing to manifold vac. instead of blower (above rotor), this is not pressure referencing like w/ a blow through carb The carb is not under "boosted" conditions at all, the carb just "sees" a bigger engine than there really is.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 AM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Originally Posted by V-Twin
What you mean is PV referencing to manifold vac. instead of blower (above rotor), this is not pressure referencing like w/ a blow through carb The carb is not under "boosted" conditions at all, the carb just "sees" a bigger engine than there really is.
Correct. You need to boost reference the power valve or power piston in a draw through system because the vacuum that the blower pulls on the carburetor can hold the power piston/valve closed just when the engine needs the extra fuel the most.

In a blow through system the boost referencing is on the fuel pressure regulator so the fuel pump can keep fuel flowing to the carburetor.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I picked up a book called Maximum Boost by Bell. It tells you all the basics of a turbo charged engine. When your finish reading it you will be able to design and build a turbo charged engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo/ Supercharger + Quadrajet?

Quick Reply: Turbo/ Supercharger + Quadrajet?