C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
BassCat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rough idle

1977 Vette/stock 350. Since I bought my Vette last year, I've installed new plugs, plug wires, new carb, set the timing, and replaced most of the vacuum lines. The engine runs great, smooth as silk on the road. It does however idle a little rough, at around 550 rpms. I accidently flooded the engine the other day, and when I opened the hood I noticed that gas had seaped out around the base of the carb and was seaping down the intake. Not a lot, but enough to see it. I'm going to spray some carb cleaner around the base with the engine running and see if it changes my idle. After seeing the gas, I'm guessing that I have a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. If this turns out to be correct, what is the easiest fix. The gasket is only a few months old. I installed it with the new carb. Can you use some type of sealant with these carb base gaskets, that gas won't destroy?? Thanks in advance.
Kenny
Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a very low idle...seems any engine would run rough at under 600 RPMs. The vacuum leak is very possible. Pull the carb and inspect the carb mating surface and the gasket for any breaks or leaks. The fuel seeping out shouldn't be a problem if the carb is mated securely.

What kind of carb is it and what is your fuel pump...a mechanical or electric?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
That's a very low idle...seems any engine would run rough at under 600 RPMs. The vacuum leak is very possible.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Get your idle speed up to about 750. Don't use any sealer on the gaskets.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Apparently the stories of Lars' demise were greatly exaggerated.

Nice to see you back.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Fay vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that in park (auto) or in gear. I idle at about 700 in park but drop to 550 to 600 in gear, and its alittle ruff. Never stalls but lumpy like. What could this be? Also a stock 77.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 AM
BassCat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, same thing. It idles at around 700 in park, and 550-600 in gear. Never stalls, just a little rough. I know it's tuned and timed right, so I'll try idling it up a little. I have to be careful how high I idle it though. On my car anyway, if I idle it too high, it shifts into reverse kinda hard.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BassCat
Yep, same thing. It idles at around 700 in park, and 550-600 in gear. Never stalls, just a little rough. I know it's tuned and timed right, so I'll try idling it up a little. I have to be careful how high I idle it though. On my car anyway, if I idle it too high, it shifts into reverse kinda hard.

That's not the engine's fault though, that's an indication that you have some other drive train wear, and the idle isn't fixing it...just prolonging it.

Check the transmission mount under the car, and have a look at the U-joints. There are six of them.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Fay vette
Instructor

Mine really just started doing it yesterday. It was alittle over 600 and smooth before. I filled the tank yesterday and drove about 100 miles. Thought maybe bad gas (it was super 93). I was going to try gas filter change (needs it anyhow) and check for vac leak. LMK how if turning idle up alittle helped.

Anybody else have and ideas. DB how can idle be a sign if transmission wear, or did you mean shifting in reverse hard. I shift ok at that low idle.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fay vette
DB how can idle be a sign if transmission wear, or did you mean shifting in reverse hard. I shift ok at that low idle.

The idle isn't the sign of wear...the low idle is what the OP did because it eased the hard shift. The loud thunk he hears when shifting into reverse when the idle is over 600 is caused by problems behind the engine. Those problems won't go away because of the lowered idle, and in fact he's maybe experiencing other problems now because he doesn't have a normal idle.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Fay vette
Instructor

What should a normal idle in park and in gear be for a 77 L48 auto?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fay vette
What should a normal idle in park and in gear be for a 77 L48 auto?

In park, around 900, and in drive around 700. Give or take a little bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough idle

Quick Reply: Rough idle