C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanacor L-88 Hoods

Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Vanacor L-88 Hoods

Okay, this is only for guys who have physically bought a hood DIRECTLY from Vanacor. No "I think it originally came from vanacor, so I am going to respond". Who here has actually bought an L-88 hood from Vanacor? What was the quality like? Did it fit well? Please, no hijacking this thread and going off topic about other company's L88 hoods. I want some feedback from Vanacor customers.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I purchased mine from them directly. Went and picked it up from their shop. All I had to do was prime and paint.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM
lr172
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased mine over the winter. Fit and finish was very good. Some minor sanding and clean up was all that was required. I have no experience with other vendors, but had hoped it would be a bit heavier. Doesn't seem to be a problem as is it feels relatively strong and secure, but is was less than half the weight of the original.

My paint supplier said to be sure that you let it cure in the sun for a day or two. Appearantly the resin cures further in the presence of UV light and if Vanacor didn't leave it in the sun, you may experience problems after the paint is on.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Bought a high cowl hood for the 75 from them. It is much lighter then the stock hood,fit was ok- had to shim some,gaps close. It's was costly to ship.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Bought a high cowl hood for the 75 from them. It is much lighter then the stock hood,fit was ok- had to shim some,gaps close. It's was costly to ship.
Would you buy from them again?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

yes
Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my L88 hood directly from Vanacors. The fit is just a bit off in that I'm going to have to elongate the hinge holes a bit to adjust for proper gaps. I will have to do some block sanding around the tip of the hood so it sits down flush with the surround, but other than that it's a fine hood.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[IMG][/IMG]
I bought my hood from there,it's ok but did need some work to get the latches on,and the back would of took to much work,it didn't match,could have been molded to fit a earlier vette so I left it alone,
this is on a 4" L-88.I still would buy agian,the next might fit better.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one a few months ago.
Fit was fine, had to touch up the front corner of the car to close the gap a little.
They didn't drill the holes for the hinges, the big 1" holes for the latch pin

But it's reasonably straight, lays nice against the curves of my car and looks really good

I'd definitly order again.
Keith
Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i bought the highrise l88 from them and would buy from them again. fit and finish was good. some work was needed to get the gaps perfect. with the age of these cars and other factors that come with time, it would be impossible to get a hood to fit every car the same. that being said the vanacor hood fit better at the top better than my factory hood did. they were good to do business with.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
redson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I and a freind bought two hoods at one time and got them shipped together to the same body shop.His was a Stinger style,mine was a cowl.The shop called him as he was closer,right after they opened the box & looked at them..Told him he'd better come look. BOTH hoods were rediculously wavy,and one was warped/twisted down on one front corner,& up in the opposite back corner.The packing was in good shape...the issue was whatever they did making them.Remember,this was what was observed before even trying to fit them,or anything else.I called Vanacor and said we wanted to return them ASAP.They argued a bit,then said they'd take them back for a 20% restocking fee,plus return shipping.For what it woulda cost to even try to fit,prime,paint,etc. I agreed.The kicker is that after they were boxed and on the way,we got a bill for the fee,but the shipping they wanted was TWICE what they were sent for originally.When asked,they were just plain rude,& even hung up on the body shop,me and the other purchaser. Then when not paid,they sent notices, & started collections on the body shop,whose name was no where on ANY paperwork related to the purchase at all! NO,DONT BUY FROM VANACOR!

Get notified of new replies

To Vanacor L-88 Hoods

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vanacor L-88 Hoods