C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dual SPAL fans project -Work in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:58 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Dual SPAL fans project -Work in progress...

I am working on a new project for my '73 baby :
- Removed the stock fan shroud anf mechanical fan/clutch assembly,
- Created a new aluminium fan shroud ( thickness 1/8" ), TIG welded,
covering nearly 100% of the stock radiator core. The radiator core is cut in two equal and independant parts, each of them ventilated by a single 11" SPAL fan.
This will avoid the functionning fan from sucking air through the other fan when it is off.
- Installed a second temperature sender ( TS-71 ) on passenger side head,
- Engineered an electronic scheme for SPAL control :
First fan on at 185°F, off at 180°F
Second Fan on at 190°F, off at 185°F
- Temp on, Temp off and hysteresis can be adjusted for each fan, without removing anything...
- The two small relays inside the box switch much bigger ones outside (BOSCH 70A each ), mounted on the new aluminium shroud ( work in progress... )
- Two safety switches can bypass the electronic regulation, just in case of something not working correctly ( fans are always on but still switched by the ignition key )
- Everything can be mounted in place easily without having to remove the radiator or anything else ( Note the threaded inserts at top and bottom of the radiator on the pictures ). The A-arms are not an issue.

On Monday, I will have everything powder coated in red ( anodized look high temp varnish ). I will post new pictures ASAP. Maybe next WE...

If anybody is interested in more details, hi-def plans, .pdf or .dxf files, detailed electronic schemes,... send me a PM.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 06-05-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NICE work, but I dunno why the bother for a circuit card with all that on there for two relays that a simple thermo probe type controller couldn't do for easier....

the TIGged up shroud is super nice....I like that much better than what I did, is it tied to the radiator for support?? or to the rad support itself??

looke as if it ties to the rad, I wonder if the rad core is strong enogh to take all that hanging on there.....I had a fan tear hell out of a brand new rad once, just from some woman clipping my RFront fender, it was another car, not this vette, but I learned to NOT mount anything but a tranny cooler to the rad cores.....

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

First, the aim of my project was to do a maximum things by myself. It was part of my pleasure to do it

The main advantage of my circuit board is that it is fully adjustable for each fan and very precise ( less than 1°F of error ). So I can modify easily the switching temperatures if it appears that a fan doesn't work like I want it to.
Actually I am working right now on another control box, PWM this time, with a high power MOSFET transistor, that would drive both fans at the same time and same speed. I think that the fans could make less noise this way, and it would give them the same lifetime. Time will say if I make it or not, it depends on how the first one will work...

About the aluminium shroud, yes it ties to the upper and lower parts of the radiator, not the core itself as you can see on the pictures of my radiator, where the threaded inserts are riveted : these parts of the radiator are made of steel ( verified with a magnet ) and much stronger than the copper core ).
Furthermore, the weight of my shroud is very light, because of the two large holes for the fans. The new shroud alone weights less the the two SPAL fans ( about 3 kilogrammes ). I don't think the weight of the whole thing will be an issue. Copper radiators are much stronger ( and heavier ) than aluminium ones. I will show more detailed pictures as soon as it is finished...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
First, the aim of my project was to do a maximum things by myself. It was part of my pleasure to do it

The main advantage of my circuit board is that it is fully adjustable for each fan and very precise ( less than 1°F of error ). So I can modify easily the switching temperatures if it appears that a fan doesn't work like I want it to.
Actually I am working right now on another control box, PWM this time, with a high power MOSFET transistor, that would drive both fans at the same time and same speed. I think that the fans could make less noise this way, and it would give them the same lifetime. Time will say if I make it or not, it depends on how the first one will work...

About the aluminium shroud, yes it ties to the upper and lower parts of the radiator, not the core itself as you can see on the pictures of my radiator, where the threaded inserts are riveted : these parts of the radiator are made of steel ( verified with a magnet ) and much stronger than the copper core ).
Furthermore, the weight of my shroud is very light, because of the two large holes for the fans. The new shroud alone weights less the the two SPAL fans ( about 3 kilogrammes ). I don't think the weight of the whole thing will be an issue. Copper radiators are much stronger ( and heavier ) than aluminium ones. I will show more detailed pictures as soon as it is finished...

HUMMM.....Nah, I don't do nuttin' for myself..... U and me think alike....I not into etching circuit cards, but if you go to my site or maybe here under my pix,....I don't remember if I posted any here or not.....but you will find some shots of my geek interior and the mess I call a DPFI setup/install....actcually for a work in progress all the time, it's not all THAT bad....long as you don't look close....

I have a cheepie stock late F body rad and it's not about to support jack diddly nuttin....so I did it off the rad support U channels....

I need you to do a stereo install, but U not here, damnit....
Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

New Pictures links added ( Uploaded on photobucket )
...And the shroud will be powder coated tomorrow. The SPAL fans, relays and wiring will be done this WE.
I will post pictures ASAP

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 06-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Dual SPAL fans project -Work in progress...

Quick Reply: New Dual SPAL fans project -Work in progress...