C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing set - true roller ???????

Old 12-20-2001, 01:28 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing set - true roller ???????

When they rebuilt my motor, they said the timing set was true roller? Can any one explain what that means? :crazy:
Old 12-20-2001, 01:31 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Timing set - true roller ??????? (Tominator)

It truly rolls on the sprockets? :D
Old 12-20-2001, 02:39 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Timing set - true roller ??????? (Tominator)

I assume you'd appreciate a real answer, rather than a smart a__ comment, so here goes.

A "true roller" usually refers to a double roller timing chain that is contructed so that each roller/contact point of chain to gear, is a hollow steel tube around a steel pin, such that each of these 'rollers' will actually spin on the pin mounting point.

These "true roller" timing chain kits usually sell for anywhere from $40 to $80, depending on brand, while something advertised simply as a 'double roller' may sell as cheaply as $15, however when you look at it, you'll find that the individual contact points do not spin, or 'roll'.

Always install a 'true roller', unless you have a cheap 'claimer' type race engine which gets torn down frequently, and you don't need the timing chain / gear set to last a long time.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:47 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Timing set - true roller ??????? (john's '81 mouse)

Woah buddy...was just joking around. :) I had no clue and bumped the thread....maybe you should go in Off Topic once in a while to get a smile back on your face. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Timing set - true roller ???????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing set - true roller ???????