C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
wlanum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shift Points

So I have a 73 with a 350 CID and I believe a 350 trans, How do I adjust my transmission shift points. It likes to shift really quick and also when I get on it and the trans "kicks down" it will shift at 4k RPM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Check vacuum modulator can on tranny; plus make sure all vacuum line connections are good. If the shift calibrations need to change in the valve body, you would have to change spring rates on the shift valves needing the change. [very unusually for driver car]
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
wlanum
Instructor

Where is the modulator? Can it be adjusted?

Also I think I have a 400 trans. the trans. was recently rebuilt and I believe the kickdown switch is bad but when I put the pedal to the floor it does. But the problem is when I'm at 60-70 mph on the freeway it will shift always at 4k and i know the motor has more in it,.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The vacuum modulator is a 'can' on the right side of the THM400 and has a vacuum line going to it. If the vacuum line is connected properly to intake manifold vacuum, the modulator is probably bad. Finding an exact replacement can be a problem; replacing it with a local parts store 'generic' modulator is not that good an option. Exact replacment has some adjustment in it; generic units do not.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you look on the drivers side you will see a round cover held in by a snap ring. Open that up and slide out your governer. Their are spring you can cut down or scretch to change the shift points.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Messing with the governor spring should be one of the last things that you do. I agree that it can change the overall pressure schedule of the shift circuits, but you need to make sure that the modulator is working properly first....otherwise, you'll just need to go back to the governor again later. If you do end up working on the governor spring, a lighter duty spring will cause ALL shift points [in all ranges] to come in later (higher RPM).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
wlanum
Instructor

What do I adjust the modulator with?

I've located it and I'm not sure what I should do to adjust it.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Messing with the governor spring should be one of the last things that you do. I agree that it can change the overall pressure schedule of the shift circuits, but you need to make sure that the modulator is working properly first....otherwise, you'll just need to go back to the governor again later. If you do end up working on the governor spring, a lighter duty spring will cause ALL shift points [in all ranges] to come in later (higher RPM).
I agree but he's trying to up shift at 4000rpm WOT. I don't think he can get that on a turbo 400 without going into the governor. Most trans suppliers carry different color springs that will get you close to were you want to shift.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The vacuum modulator allows early upshifts when it sees vacuum at low throttle settings; but if it is damaged, it can cause early upshifts with WOT. If it 'thinks' vacuum is present, it will cause an upshift. There are lots of "failure modes" in an automatic tranny; it's just best to get some of the external issues addressed...before going to internal stuff.

If your modulator car is of 'original' design, it will have a slotted screw at the center of the outer end of the can and a 'lockdown' nut on the screw. Loosen the nut, keep the nut from turning while you turn the screw 'in' or 'out' to adjust shift points up or down. This adjustment only allows a couple of turns in or out, so don't overdo it. This is a fine-tuning adjustment, not meant for large rpm jumps. Your tranny is shifting way too early. I suspect the modulator is defective. [If the tranny was not upshifting, I would suspect the governor.] Pull the vacuum line off of the modulator can. If there is [red] Dexron tranny fluid in it, the diaphragm in the modulator has worn out/ruptured and you need to replace it.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

I misunderstood what he wanted MY BAD! When he said quick shifts I thought he wanted early shifts. Get that small screwdriver out and start turnin
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Mr. Beam
Advanced

If you have a TH400 it is most likely the kick-down switch that gives you these problems. Turn the ignition on and depress the pedal all the way down. Can you hear anything that makes a clicking sound?

No? Get under the dash and look for a switch that the gaspedal operates. See if it needs adjustment or if it's is simply dead.

The th400 should shift at 5500 rpm if the switch and solenoid is functional. It overides the vaccum modulator, but not the govenor if shifted manually.

BTW it's this one

https://www.zip-products.com/Zip/pro...722E953FF977AD

Good luck
Mr. Beam
Old 06-06-2008, 01:10 AM
wlanum
Instructor

Well the transmission is a TH 400 and I did recently have it rebuilt when I did the motor.

Now today I took it to the shop because the kick down wasn't working once again and one of the mechanics got under the car and checked everything out and tightened up something, I'm not really sure what

So I'm driving home and I keep getting on the pedal to see what the hell is going on with the kickdown and it isn't happening for me.

So I'm at a stop sign and start to accelerate and figure what the heel slam the gas and the transmission down shifts finally but I get to the next stop sign and the beeotch will not shift out of first manually or automatically.

So I guess it is really back to the shop again!!!

And the worse part is it is leaking right now and I think the mechanic snapped the head off a bolt on the bell housing.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Change mechanics.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Shift Points

Quick Reply: Transmission Shift Points